The Howard School
5.00 (1 review)
- The Howard School serves 79 students in grades Prekindergarten-8 and is a member of the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS) and the Carden Educational Foundation.
- The student:teacher of The Howard School is 7:1 and the school's religious affiliation is Nonsectarian.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)|
Carden Educational Foundation
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||79 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||11 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(e.g. Polos and Khaki)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- Established in 1934 by Mae Carden, the Carden Method® encompasses the developmental progression of every child. The comprehensive curriculum gives children the tools necessary to gain mastery of math, science, reading and writing. Reading s...kills are taught through a sequential presentation of phonics, rhythm, and visual imagery. Specialty programs including art, music, theatre, foreign language, computer and physical education are central to a Carden education. Our goal is to promote growth of the whole child including emotional and physical development coupled with the pursuit of academic excellence. Small class sizes allow teachers to work closely with each child to develop strengths and target areas of weakness. Located in the semi-rural Carpinteria Valley, our campus offers a picturesque educational environment to families from the towns of Goleta, Santa Barbara, Montecito, Carpinteria, Ventura and Oxnard. Instruction is complemented by superb facilities: playing fields and an indoor gymnasium provide daily opportunities for physical activity; the theatre accommodates drama, music and special programs; and a state-of-the-art computer lab fosters computer literacy. Education at The Howard Carden School extends beyond the classroom. Students are taught leadership and responsibility in the community through participation in activities such as the Teddy Bear Foundation's, Adopt a Child for Christmas program or hosting senior citizens at school performances. They also participate in educational programs that promote relationships with local businesses and non-profit organizations including Carpinteria’s Girls Inc., with which we have partnered since 1999.
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Carpinteria Grades: 9-12 | 280 students
1960 Cate Mesa Road
Carpinteria, CA 93013
(805)684-4127 1.7 9-12
- Santa Barbara Grades: K-8 | 264 students
1795 San Leandro Lane
Santa Barbara, CA 93108
(805)969-7732 6.5 K-8
- Santa Barbara Grades: PK-8 | 226 students
530 Hot Springs Rd
Santa Barbara, CA 93108
(805)969-5965 7.8 PK-8
- Santa Barbara Grades: NS-PK | 41 students
1201 E Yanonali St
Santa Barbara, CA 93103
(805)560-0855 9.7 NS-PK
- Santa Barbara Grades: 7-12 | 59 students
814 Santa Barbara St
Santa Barbara, CA 93101
(805)965-0228 10.8 7-12
The Howard School is unique in the emphasis it puts on teaching students how to "learn" and to also perform life's important non-academic skills with exceptional results. The teachers and administrators are excellent educators who display a passion for teaching and a deep caring for & pride in their students.
- Posted by Parent - ruddg
We look at ways in which your small to medium-sized private school can use social media to make families past, present, and future aware of your school.
Helicopter, velcro and snowplow parents can't stand the thought of their children having difficulty with anything. Over-protective parents come in several flavors. More here.
Choosing a college is one of the rituals every family with a junior in private school needs to cope with. These five metrics will give you an overview of the process.