The Journey School
5.00 (3 reviews)
- The Journey School, a private Montessori Elementary and Middle School located in Spencerville, MD enrolling students in grades 1-8.
- We serve students and families from Ashton, Sandy Spring, Brookeville, Silver Spring, Columbia, Laytonsville, Laurel, Olney, Cloverly, Spencerville, Burtonsville, Fulton, Highland, Clarksville, and Ellicott City and the surrounding area.
- For the child completing pre-school at one of the fine Montessori schools in our area, the transition will be a natural and seamless one.
- For the child seeking a better alternative to other private or public schools, students will find a warm, supportive, and caring environment that focuses on the child and on learning.
- Our classrooms are filled with activities designed to peak curiosity and encourage excellence in academics, while promoting social interaction, self-expression and self-knowledge.
- Our curriculum uses the integrated, project-based program built upon the Montessori method, founded by Dr. Maria Montessori over 100 years ago.
The Journey School places among the top 20% of private schools in Maryland for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||Montessori School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-8|
|Total Students||15 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||3 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$15,500|
|Tuition Notes||Payment Plans available|
- The Journey School provides instruction in English and language arts; mathematics; history; science; art; music; physical education; the environment; the economy; and, civics using the integrated, project-based adolescent program design of Dr. Montessori. TJS employs Montessori trained guides to lead a multi-age classroom of students grades 1 to 8. The Montessori adolescent curriculum fosters critical and analytical thinking. The curriculum provides students with the experiences and skills that they will need in order to build a foundation of life-long learning and to be successful in any secondary school setting and beyond. The learning environment in the adolescent community reflects the developmental need for social interaction, self-expression, and self-knowledge.
Profile last updated:
Nearby Private Schools
- The nearest high school, elementary school and preschool to The Journey School is Spencerville Adventist Academy (0.1 miles away)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Burtonsville Grades: PK-K | 196 students
4058 Blackburn Ln
Burtonsville, MD 20866
(301)384-5753 1.9 PK-K
- Silver Spring Grades: K-12 | 19 students
360 Ednor Rd
Silver Spring, MD 20905
(301)570-8457 3.1 K-12
- Laurel Grades: PK-9 | 30 students
13800 Old Gunpowder Rd
Laurel, MD 20707
(240)786-0283 3.4 PK-9
This was the perfect environment for my son who struggled in the public school setting. The Journey School provided small group interaction and one on one attention. My son was allowed to work at a pace that worked for him. Hands on projects and interactive teaching helped him to fully engage in the learning process. The wonderful and caring teachers at The Journey School encouraged my son to discover his interests and understand his learning styles so that he could be successful. Our experience was exactly what my son needed and what we needed as parents.!
- Posted by Parent - Denise
TJS renewed my son's confidence in himself and those around him. TJS rekindled his love of learning and enhanced his opportunites to develop meaningful relationships with peers, adults, and his environment. Teachers provided unwaivering support as the students navigated the journey through the middle school age. He enjoyed the variety of ways he could be active each day; walking the grounds each morning with peers, working in the garden or other groups, and many off-campus outings. He really enjoyed working with scientists at the Smithsonian. The in-depth projects allowed him to be creative and collaborative. If your child is looking for a place to be valued and encrouaged in a positive way, each and every day, set up a tour!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Linda
Academically top rate but more importantly, renewed my daughter's enthusiasm for learning. Small, warm community so learning is at each student's own pace and focused on strengths not deficits. At a time when a lot of kids lose their way from peer pressure, my daughter found firm footing in herself and I attribute that to The Journey School.
- Posted by Parent - Lisa
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.