The Kildonan School
5.00 (1 review)
- Kildonan is a co-educational day and boarding school for students with dyslexia and language-based learning differences.
- Kildonan serves day students in grades 2-12 and boarding students in grades 7-12.
- Founded in 1969, Kildonan offers one-to-one daily Orton-Gillingham tutoring, a college-preparatory curriculum, and small, multisensory subject matter classes.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other special emphasis association(s)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
State or regional independent school association
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 2-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia/Language-based LD|
|Total Students||91 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||55 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||2:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Lands End School Uniforms)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$63,800|
|Tuition Notes||$63,800 7-day boarding; $61,300 5-day boarding;$46,900 day student; $37,100 elementary|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$15,000|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Equestrian, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis, WeightliftingBasketball, Equestrian,|
Lacrosse, Mountain Biking,
- The Kildonan School is a coeducational day and boarding school for students with dyslexia and language-based learning differences. Located in Amenia, NY, halfway between NYC and Albany, Kildonan accepts students with average to above-average intelligence who may be frustrated in school because of their learning difference (i.e. difficulty with reading, spelling, and/or writing). Serving grades 2-12. The school's mission is to empower students with dyslexia to reach their potential by increasing self-esteem and academic motivation. Each student's schedule includes daily one-on-one Orton-Gillingham tutoring and small, college-preparatory subject matter classes. The school has well developed arts and athletic programs and an immensely popular ski/snowboard program. Five minutes away from Metro-North, Kildonan offers 7-day boarding, 5-day boarding, and day options. During the summer, Kildonan hosts the esteemed academic summer camp, Dunnabeck at Kildonan, for students ages 8-16.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- AmeniaGrades: 6-12 | 100 students
5142 Route 22
Amenia, NY 12501
- PawlingGrades: 7-12 | 286 students
700 Route 22
Pawling, NY 12564
- MillbrookGrades: PK-8 | 163 students
415 Route 343
Millbrook, NY 12545
The best school of its type . Learning differently students are given their confidence back by a host of caring , loving , supportive miracle workers . Each is a part in the process . Academics , sports , the arts , hands on projects , college prep and more it's all here . May Kildonan help forever!
- Posted by Parent - Train
January 23, 2018
What is private school really like? Is there any truth to the rumors you keep hearing? Let's find out.
January 23, 2018
Depending on their family circumstances, our Presidents received a wide range of primary and secondary schooling.
January 23, 2018
A fascinating look at where our first Presidents went to school.