The Kildonan School
5.00 (3 reviews)
- Kildonan is a co-educational day and boarding school for students with dyslexia and language-based learning differences.
- Kildonan serves day students in grades 2-12 and boarding students in grades 7-12.
- Founded in 1969, Kildonan offers one-to-one daily Orton-Gillingham tutoring, a college-preparatory curriculum, and small, multisensory subject matter classes.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other special emphasis association(s)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
State or regional independent school association
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 2-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia/Language-based LD|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||64 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||22 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Lands End School Uniforms)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$63,800|
|Tuition Notes||$63,800 7-day boarding; $61,300 5-day boarding;$46,900 day student; $37,100 elementary|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$15,000|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Equestrian, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis, WeightliftingBasketball, Equestrian,|
Lacrosse, Mountain Biking,
- The Kildonan School is a coeducational day and boarding school for students with dyslexia and language-based learning differences. Located in Amenia, NY, halfway between NYC and Albany, Kildonan accepts students with average to above-average intelligence who may be frustrated in school because of their learning difference (i.e. difficulty with reading, spelling, and/or writing). Serving grades 2-12. The school's mission is to empower students with dyslexia to reach their potential by increasing self-esteem and academic motivation. Each student's schedule includes daily one-on-one Orton-Gillingham tutoring and small, college-preparatory subject matter classes. The school has well developed arts and athletic programs and an immensely popular ski/snowboard program. Five minutes away from Metro-North, Kildonan offers 7-day boarding, 5-day boarding, and day options. During the summer, Kildonan hosts the esteemed academic summer camp, Dunnabeck at Kildonan, for students ages 8-16.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Millbrook Grades: PK-8 | 178 students
415 Route 343
Millbrook, NY 12545
(845)677-5014 9.9 PK-8
- Pawling Grades: 7-12 | 293 students
700 Route 22
Pawling, NY 12564
(845)855-4825 21.6 7-12
This school has changed our son's life. He has a new love of learning. We have seen such progress since sending our son to Kildonan. They also offer wonderful arts and music programs. My son cannot wait to go to school in the morning. Teachers are wonderful and caring. Small classroom size is a plus!
- Posted by Parent - Parent of student
Kildonan and camp Dunnabeck changed our son's life. I'm not sure what their magic formula is, but after starting at Dunnabeck, and continuing as a full-time boarder at Kildonan, he found himself and flourished academically and socially. An extraordinary group of people run this school, and we will be forever in their debt.
- Posted by Parent - IndyDash
The best school of its type . Learning differently students are given their confidence back by a host of caring , loving , supportive miracle workers . Each is a part in the process . Academics , sports , the arts , hands on projects , college prep and more it's all here . May Kildonan help forever!
- Posted by Parent - Train
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.