The Marin School
- We teach individuals at The Marin School. "The Marin School offers the extraordinary opportunity to learn in an atmosphere that is warm, individualized and happy. Students here are deeply engaged with both their work and their teachers. This is what education should look like." -Madeline Levine , Ph.D., Author of The Price of Privilege and Teach Your Children Well.
- The Marin School is small by design. Our small class sizes (an average class size of 8) and low student-to-teacher ratio, enable our teachers truly understand their students who they are, how they think, and what motivates them to learn.
- Ours is an experiential education with interactive classes, creative projects, and curriculum-related field trips.
- We offer a UC-approved, thought-provoking curriculum with a creative approach to everything we do.
- Our students engage in a meaningful college preparatory experience that promotes balance.
- We consider mastering content and subject matter important, of course, but we believe it's equally vital to teach students how to think,reason, interpret, analyze, and improvise.
- The Marin School is for families who are looking for an innovative, small-school experience, and for students who want to be more than just a face in the crowd.
- Come visit TMS and learn how we're redefining the "college prep" experience.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild to Moderate Learning Differences|
|Total Students||100 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||25 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1130|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 12 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$45,840|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition assistance available based upon demonstrated need.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$30,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Emily Burns|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Flag Football, Track and FieldBasketball, Flag Football,|
Track and Field
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||17 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Community Service Club, Dungeons and Dragons Club, Film Club, Garden Club, Literary Magazine, Model United Nations, Music Appreciation Club, Student Leadership Council, Yearbook Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Drama, Drawing and Painting, Jazz Band, Photography Class, Public Art, Recording Studio, Studio Arts
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Ping Pong Club
- College-preparatory high school (U.C. approved curriculum)
- Excellent student/teacher ratio
- A class size that promotes learning (average 9)
- Students who are seeking a close relationship with their teachers.
- Students who demonstrate academic and creative potential.
- Students who will actively participate in the learning process and in the school.
- Students who will make a personal investment in their academic success.
- Students who value the opportunities offered in a small learning community.
- We celebrate diverse thinking and individual personalities.
- We practice collaboration instead of competition.
- We offer participatory classes and encourage each individual's voice.
- We motivate students through innovative lessons and real-world applications.
- We emphasize conceptual thinking rather than rote learning.
- We honor each student's unique learning style.
- We identify and nurture each student's talents and gifts.
- We offer a web-based daily communication tool for parents, students and staff.
- Faculty meet weekly to ensure full staff knowledge of each student's progress.
- Students at The Marin School matriculate to leading colleges and universities across the country. We believe in the individual, and everything we do is designed to inspire, guide and empower each student to achieve his or her full academic and social potential.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Rafael Grades: 9-12 | 440 students
1600 Mission Avenue
San Rafael, CA 94901
(415)453-2808 1.6 9-12
- San Francisco Grades: 9-12 | 374 students
35 Keyes Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94129
(415)561-5800 14.3 9-12
- Jackson Grades: NS-12 | 818 students
832 Country Club Lane
Jackson, TN 38305
(731)668-8055 1858 NS-12
- San Rafael Grades: K-8 | 221 students
180 N San Pedro Rd
San Rafael, CA 94903
(415)472-1833 0.1 K-8
The Marin School has been a terrific school for our daughter over the past two years. They have provided the right level of individualized instruction and focus for her. She has participated in student government and other leadership opportunities, which she has really enjoyed. The school has created a community in which has been easy for our daughter to make friends. All in all, we`ve been very happy with the school!
- Posted by Parent - Julie
TMS is a fabulous school for our child. The small class size and great teachers & staff make all the difference. They really care about each individual student. Being so small, less than 100 students in grades 9-12, enables TMS to give each student everything they need, whether it be more challenge, tutoring or emotional support. We are extremely happy with this school.
- Posted by Parent - Mom of 3