The Helix School
Tel: (415) 569-5056
The Helix School is a non-profit school, located in Mill Valley, CA, serving children with mild to moderate autism spectrum disorder. Helixs mission is to provide quality instruction to children with ASD, so they may experience the success, self-realization, and fulfillment that come from learning, self-expression, self-care, and community participation.
Our teaching strategies are based on recent advances in naturalistic developmental behavioral interventions, with an emphasis on pivotal response training.
Different curricula and programs are integrated into the school depending on the needs of the child.
Helixs vision is to provide effective programming for children with ASD by staying current with best practices in education and clinical research.
We value a collaborative relationship with parents, caregivers and other professionals to provide a caring and consistent environment across school and home.
Our priorities are to respect, appreciate, and encourage each childs strengths, while providing support and structure to improve attention, self-regulation, language, focus, and life skills.
The Helix School places among the top 20% of private schools in California for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||Special Education School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Autism Spectrum Disorder|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||8 teachers|
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||5 students|
|Average SAT score||600|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$55,000|
|Admissions Director||Joanne Scheinholtz|
|Admissions Associate||Liz Weldon|
- Not every child learns the same way, especially children with ASD. That is why at Helix we believe every child should be taught in a way that works for him or her. The students at Helix are individuals with strengths and weaknesses, and these unique qualities are what shape each students curriculum. Once enrolling in Helix, we gather information from a variety of resources using formal and informal assessment tools. From here, the childs individual curriculum and corresponding lesson plans are designed based on the childs learning profile. The academic plan does not just focus on academic skills, but also includes the social and emotional aspects of learning as well. We want to foster independence and self-advocacy in each student to help them take control of their own learning.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- San Rafael Grades: 1-12 | 59 students
4470 Redwood Hwy Ste 101
San Rafael, CA 94903
(415) 456-8727 7.9 1-12
- Oakland Grades: 9-12 | 61 students
521 Boden Way
Oakland, CA 94610
(510) 964-0599 16.5 9-12
- Oakland Grades: 6-12 | 12 students
3800 Coolidge Ave
Oakland, CA 94602
(510) 482-2244 18.8 6-12
- Redwood City Grades: PK-12 | 38 students
1201 Main Street
Redwood City, CA 94063
(650) 365-3250 33.4 PK-12
- San Anselmo Grades: 3-12 | 29 students
300 Sunny Hills Dr Bldg 6
San Anselmo, CA 94960
(415) 457-7601 5.9 3-12
This hub page lists over three dozen articles dealing with issues in high school such as academics and discipline.
TLTR? There are a couple of private school documents which you need to read.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.