The Prentice School
5.00 (1 review)
The Prentice School Photo #2 - The Prentice School is located on a 6.6 acre campus in North Tustin, CA. It includes full-size, remodeled classrooms with flexible seating options, fields, playgrounds and blacktops. All students have PE, Music, Art and Science.
The Prentice School Photo #3 - The Prentice School is a K-8 private, WASC accredited school. We are also designated Non-Public School (NPS by the State of California.
The Prentice School Photo #4 - The Prentice School was created for students with language-based learning differences including dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, ADHD, auditory-processing disorders, visual-processing disorders and related issues. Our students receive daily Orton-Gillingham structured literacy, ELA, OnCloud9 math, executive functioning and full enrichment programs.
The Prentice School Photo #5 - The Prentice School has a separate Academic Enrichment building which includes a Tech Lab, Music Room, Art Room, Elementary Science Room, Junior High Science Lab, plus a greenhouse and outdoor garden.
The Prentice School Photo #6 - The Prentice School offers on-campus student support including Speech and Language (2 SLPs, 1 SLPA), Occupational Therapy, after school tutoring program, and Read Dog therapy.
The Prentice School Photo #7 - The Prentice School has a full-time MFT that offers drop in or scheduled visits during school. She also conducts a junior high advisory class twice a week that meets by grade-level as a group. Students are provided psychoeducation and taught life skills. Interpersonal issues inside the group of students can be discussed in a non-judgmental forum.
- Founded in 1986, The Prentice School has transformed the lives of over 5,000 students with learning differences such as dyslexia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, ADHD, anxiety, and visual processing and executive function disorders. The Prentice School is a private, nonprofit academic school located in North Tustin, California and is a Certified Nonpublic School through the California Department of Education and is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
- The Prentice approach is designed to engage students on three learning pathways, including auditory, visual, and kinesthetic.
- Using evidence-based curriculum and instructional methodologies, a structured literacy approach, multi-sensory instructional strategies, and ongoing progress monitoring, The Prentice School offers an unparalleled learning experience to students with learning differences who possess average to high intelligence, whose needs have not been met in a more traditional classroom setting.
The Prentice School places among the top 20% of private schools in California for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia, ADHD, auditory-processing disorders, visual processing disorders and related issues|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||126 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||40 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$27,200|
|Tuition Notes||Gr. K - 5 $27,200 Gr. 6 $27,900 Gr. 7, 8 $28,500Reduction in tuition for additional children.|
|Admissions Director||Devon Green|
|Admissions Associate||Pam Gordon|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Animal Club, Chess Club, Cooking For Kids, Dog's Best Friend (Reading), Hip Hop Dance Club, Musical Theater Club, Nexplore Magic Club, Nexplore Makers Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Guitar Club, Music class, Segerstrom Art Program
- For over 30 years, The Prentice School has been a model of excellence for educating students who learn differently. The Prentice School serves bright students with language-based learning differences and related learning challenges including dyslexia (language-based processing disorder), dyscalculia (math-based processing disorder), dysgraphia (written language-based processing disorder) or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), and anxiety
- MISSION: To provide innovative education and a nurturing environment for students with learning differences to succeed in life.
- VISION: To become a model of excellence for educating students with learning differences.
- SCHOOL VALUES: At The Prentice School, we believe that all students with learning differences deserve a quality, research-based education. In particular, we lead by valuing: Innovation. A quality multi-sensory education that evolves according to how each student learns best, including the use of state-of-the-art technology and learning tools. Personalization. A customized educational experience that builds and sustains each student`s social, emotional and academic well-being in a caring and nurturing environment. A Whole-Child Approach. Helping students develop and sustain a healthy self-esteem as they reach their full potential and become productive, independent adults. Self-Advocacy. Developing self-motivated learners who confidently advocate for their own growth and that of others through collaboration and communication. Community. An affirming community of educators, professionals, parents and contributors that supports students on their respective journeys.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Irvine Grades: 1-12 | 64 students
Irvine, CA 92604
(949)733-1500 6.8 1-12
- Laguna Hills Grades: 6-12 | 70 students
23092 Mill Creek Drive
Laguna Hills, CA 92653
(949)455-1270 11 6-12
Staff and teachers truly care about the success of students who learn differently.
- Posted by Teacher - Teacher
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.