The Winston School
- For more than 30 years, The Winston School has successfully educated twice exceptional children whose learning differences have made succeeding in a traditional school extremely difficult.
- More than 95 percent of our graduates go on to higher education at a four-year or two-year college or university.
- We prepare kids for college in a way that traditional schools just can`t.
- Many of our teachers have been working at Winston for a decade or more. Please browse our website, give us a call, or drop by to meet us. We`d love to learn more about your student and your family, and help you determine if he or she will be a good fit at our school.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
California Association of Private Special Education Schools (CAPSES)
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, ADD/ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder (High Functioning)|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||101 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||18 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Average SAT score||542|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$2,890|
|Tuition Notes||995 registration fee|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$6,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Amy Spitler|
|Admissions Associate||Dena Harris|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, SoftballBaseball, Basketball,|
- Mission: The Winston School inspires hope and success in twice-exceptional bright, creative students who have struggled to realize their potential in a traditional school setting.
- We have a very low student/teacher ratio which enables all students to learn in a way that meets their needs. We celebrate diversity, including a mix of San Diego students who learn in different ways and at different paces.
- We recognize that students have strengths, understanding, and passion in particular areas and know that students find some academic skills very challenging but maybe advanced in others.
- Our dedicated staff is all certified to teach special education and respect that the student is the central actor in their own education. We encourage students to persevere, building persistence and resilience. We help to unlock student motivation and potential. We identify the needs and appropriate expectations of each student.
- We hold reasonable expectations that, despite learning differences, each student can and will grow academically, socially, emotionally and ethically, and have a chance to attend college if offered a flexible approach.
- We ensure a safe, nurturing, a patient and calming community for learning.
- Our collaborative, supportive environment readily assists and celebrates student effort and achievement. We are an inclusive school that values students with different viewpoints and experiences.
- The Winston School`s Motto is "Never, never, never give up." Winston Churchill
Profile last updated:
Learn more about Financing Your Kids’ Education in Private School.
Our children's education is a critical concern. That's why we elected to send our kids to private school in the first place. However, this COVID-19 virus is controlling everything. And it will continue to do so indefinitely until we have vaccines to protect us. With that in mind, here are five things you need to do when you are a parent with children in private school during this horrific pandemic.
If you are thinking about private school for your child in the aftermath of the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, you should exercise even more due diligence than you usually would. More here.