The Winston School
5.00 (3 reviews)
- For more than 30 years, The Winston School has successfully educated twice exceptional children whose learning differences have made succeeding in a traditional school extremely difficult.
- More than 95 percent of our graduates go on to higher education at a four-year or two-year college or university.
- We prepare kids for college in a way that traditional schools just can`t.
- Many of our teachers have been working at Winston for a decade or more. Please browse our website, give us a call, or drop by to meet us. We`d love to learn more about your student and your family, and help you determine if he or she will be a good fit at our school.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
California Association of Private Special Education Schools (CAPSES)
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, ADD/ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder (High Functioning)|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||101 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Average SAT score||542|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$30,600|
|Tuition Notes||995 registration fee|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$6,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Dr. Dena Harris|
|Admissions Associate||Lizette Cardenas|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, SoftballBaseball, Basketball,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||14 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Animal Therapy Class, Basketball, Beauty and Makeup Club, Card Games, Ceramics, Drama Club, Garden Club, Music/Choir, Reading Club, Softball, Walking Club, Warhammer
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Class, Digital Media Class
- Mission: The Winston School inspires hope and success in twice-exceptional bright, creative students who have struggled to realize their potential in a traditional school setting.
- We have a very low student/teacher ratio which enables all students to learn in a way that meets their needs. We celebrate diversity, including a mix of San Diego students who learn in different ways and at different paces.
- We recognize that students have strengths, understanding, and passion in particular areas and know that students find some academic skills very challenging but maybe advanced in others.
- Our dedicated staff is all certified to teach special education and respect that the student is the central actor in their own education. We encourage students to persevere, building persistence and resilience. We help to unlock student motivation and potential. We identify the needs and appropriate expectations of each student.
- We hold reasonable expectations that, despite learning differences, each student can and will grow academically, socially, emotionally and ethically, and have a chance to attend college if offered a flexible approach.
- We ensure a safe, nurturing, a patient and calming community for learning.
- Our collaborative, supportive environment readily assists and celebrates student effort and achievement. We are an inclusive school that values students with different viewpoints and experiences.
- The Winston School`s Motto is "Never, never, never give up." Winston Churchill
Profile last updated:
I've had a great experience working at the Winston School the past five years. The staff and students have become my second family. We are a very welcoming community and provide lots of opportunities for hands-on learning, group activities, and much more!
- Posted by Teacher - Lifelong Learner
I have worked in the counseling department at The Winston School for almost two years now. In that time I have met many new students and every time I ask them how they like Winston they express something like, "I've finally found my home." The students, and their families, tell me they are grateful for the kind teachers and staff who take the time to get to know them as individuals, and for their fellow students who welcome them from Day 1. In my estimation, The Winston School provides a healthy balance of challenge and support, with instructional delivery tailored to each student's needs. I would highly recommend this school for any student who has struggled to find the right fit elsewhere.
- Posted by Teacher - Erika Kyte
My son was struggling in public school & falling through the cracks. He hated school. When he started in 5th grade, he said the best thing about Winston was that "I don't feel stupid like I always did (at his public school)". The teachers and administrators are amazing. They see my son (now finishing 9th) as a whole, with everyone coordinating to provide him with the best education possible. He is not a typical kid, and he frequently got the message in many areas of his life (especially school) that he is not okay as he is. At Winston, however, they see through the bluster. They don't just accept or tolerate him, they appreciate him for who he is. Probably more importantly, they help him to appreciate himself for who he is.
- Posted by Parent - Amy
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.