- The Vanguard School provides comprehensive special education and related clinical services with a unique focus on the individual student and his or her readiness for life. We offer an integrated academic, social and daily living skills approach within a supportive environment where the goal is for each student to become a contributing member of the community.
- A team of therapists support students in the classroom, individually and in small groups as well as through consultative efforts.Related clinical services include speech-language, occupational and physical therapies, school psychology, school counseling, behavior support and nursing. All therapists and specialists have the advantage of being actively involved in the student`s entire day; our clinicians are able to co-treat across disciplines and consult with teachers and other professionals on a regular basis. The clinical staff has extensive experience with students with unique educational, therapeutic and behavioral management needs.
- To establish the school as a safe and effective learning environment we have implemented a School-Wide Positive Behavior Support program that actively encourages students to achieve their academic potential while simultaneously reinforcing their social and emotional learning skills.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools (ADVIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Autism Spectrum Disorders, Neurological Impairment, related social-emotional difficulties|
|Total Students||270 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||80 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||4 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Kavitha Patel|
- The Vanguard School provides programs for, and is licensed to, accept students with a Pennsylvania Department of Special Education exceptionality of autism, speech-language disorders, emotional disturbance and/or other health impairment (OHI). Students who experience developmental disabilities, specific learning differences or social-emotional or behavioral difficulties are also eligible for our program.
- Curriculum at The Vanguard School is created through research-based programs and aligned with Pennsylvania Academic Standards Aligned System. Education consists of rigorous academic programs, enriching classroom activities and community-based experiences. We set high expectations for students, teaching them to transfer skills acquired at school and apply them in real-world settings.
- Vanguard`s PreK-12 and post-secondary education are the hallmarks of the school`s "Learning-for-Life" philosophy, and has resulted in measurable success for graduates. The Vanguard School is a state-licensed academic day school that is one of 36 Pennsylvania Approved Private Schools for Special Education selected by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
- All students receive instruction in the following areas Reading, language arts, handwriting, math, science and social studies, health, physical education, music, art and technology, life-centered and community-based instruction focusing on daily living, employment, self-determination and interpersonal skills
- The Vanguard School has a rolling admissions policy. The admissions process at The Vanguard School is generally initiated by local school districts. An IEP Team meeting involving parents or legal guardians and the school district may be held. If it is decided that the student needs the intensity and frequency of services provided by The Vanguard School, the school district sends a letter and a referral packet to The VFES Admissions Office requesting consideration for a pre-enrollment assessment to determine appropriateness of placement. The referral packet will include a copy of the student`s Individualized Education Program, Reevaluation Report and other relevant assessments and evaluations.A family may apply privately if they are willing to assume the full cost of tuition for their child. If a student is accepted for admission to The Vanguard School and the school district has not referred the student, the district is not obligated to pay the tuition.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- HavertownGrades: 1-8 | 30 students
2000 Old West Chester Pike
Havertown, PA 19083
- Bryn MawrGrades: 5-12 | 72 students
737 S Ithan Ave
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
- PaoliGrades: 3-12 | 188 students
19 E Central Ave
Paoli, PA 19301
- GlenmooreGrades: K-12 | 116 students
1784 Fairview Road
Glenmoore, PA 19343
- Newtown SquareGrades: K-12
395 Bishop Hollow Road
Newtown Square, PA 19073