Delaware Valley Friends School
- Delaware Valley Friends School is a national leader educating bright students (grades 3-12) with learning differences, particularly in reading (dyslexia), writing (dysgraphia), math (dyscalculia), memory (long-term and working), processing speed, ADHD and executive functioning challenges. Students receive a comprehensive, evidence-based, college preparatory curriculum, individualized instruction, cutting-edge assistive technologies, successful college placement, with an emphasis on self-advocacy within a community based on Quaker values.
- DVFS is an Apple Distinguished School and the only school program in PA, DE and NJ accredited by both IMSLEC and IDA - the leaders in multisensory instruction. It offers a full array of arts, athletics, and extracurricular opportunities and an outstanding adventure learning program for a well-rounded educational experience.
- On average, 98% of graduates go on to college and university level studies.
- Located in Paoli, Pa., within walking distance of the SEPTA and AMTRAK lines, the school serves students from across the extended Delaware Valley region, including New Jersey and Delaware and sometimes beyond.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Friends Council on Education (FCE)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools (ADVIS)
Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 3-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Learning Differences, Dyslexia, Executive Functioning, ADHD, Dysgraphia, working memory, and processing speed|
|Total Students||175 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||37 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Adopted policy in Meeting for Business by students,staff and faculty.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$38,500|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition is all-inclusive. It includes all courses and fees, use of a Mac laptop for the school year, and course materials.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$12,000|
|Admissions Director||Mary Ellen Trent|
|Admissions Associate||Kathy Barry|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Ultimate FrisbeeBasketball, Cross Country,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||17 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Activities Committee, Black Student Union, Diversity Committee, Dungeons and Dragons Club, DV Drummers, DV Rock Band, DV Singers, Feminist Committee, Literary Magazine, Middle School Drama Club, Musical Productions, S.A.F.E. (Students And Faculty for Equality), Service Committee, Social Justice Club, Student Government, Tea Club, Yearbook DV Drummers, DV Rock Band, DV Singers, Tea Club, Yearbook, Activities Committee,|
Black Student Union,
Dungeons and Dragons Club,
Middle School Drama Club,
S.A.F.E. (Students And Faculty for Equality),
Social Justice Club,
- Delaware Valley Friends is a national leader in the field of language-based learning differences like dyslexia and dysgraphia, as well as ADHD, memory and processing issues, and executive functioning challenges.
- Delaware Valley Friends employs evidence-based instructional techniques and innovative technologies to help students build the skills they will need to become life-long learners.
- We offer a full array of arts, athletics, and extracurricular opportunities and an outstanding adventure learning program for a well-rounded educational experience.
- Delaware Valley Friends is known for small classes, individual attention, and a supportive community based on Quaker values that honors differences and builds students` confidence that they can succeed in school and beyond.
- On average, 98% of graduates go on to college and university level studies.
- Located in Paoli, Pa., the school serves students from across the extended Delaware Valley region, including New Jersey and Delaware.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- PottstownGrades: K-12 | 192 students
873 S Hanover Street
Pottstown, PA 19465
- PhoenixvilleGrades: NS-12 | 360 students
410 W Seven Stars Rd
Phoenixville, PA 19460
- DoylestownGrades: 1-12 | 32 students
196 West Ashland Street
Doylestown, PA 18901
- West ChesterGrades: PK-12 | 632 students
975 Westtown Road
West Chester, PA 19382
- ConshohockenGrades: 1-12 | 336 students
1200 River Road
Conshohocken, PA 19428
Delaware Valley Friends School is a gem of a school. The teachers and administrators are committed to each and every child as a whole and unique individual. Our son is in High School at DV and is fulfilling his academic potential and growing as a person with each year that he is at DV. The DV teachers are wonderful. They are readily available to students outside of class time and also communicate well with parents. Students are active participants in their own educations. They are taught how to work with their learning differences and be self-advocates for what they need to learn. DV is a true community where our son is growing, thriving and being well prepared for college and adult responsibilities. He has also made Friends some of whom are likely to be his friend. for life. We are incredibly fortunate to be able to send our son to DV.
- Posted by Parent - Mary
My twin daughters are both dyslexic and were suffering in our local public school. They did not feel like they could fit in and they could not learn to read even with IEPs for many years. In just a few weeks at DVFS I could see a difference in both of them. They realized that they could learn and that school could be fun. The teachers are extremely creative and caring. DVFS has been a blessing to our family.
- Posted by Parent - camil
My daughter entered DVFS in 8th grade. When she entered DVFS she was reading at a 5th grade level. She had not passed a test or a quiz at her public school in over a year. Her public school made her feel stupid and ashamed that she had a learning disability. She had given up, she was worn down and her spirit was broken. DVFS turned everything around for my daughter. We watched them wake her back up. She began to learn and then love to learn. We watched her grades climb, and they got better every year. DVFS also rebuilt her self esteem, taught her to embrace her learning disability, taught her how to advocate for what she needs to succeed, encouraged her to get involved, and rejoiced with her every time she broke thru another hurdle. She is now a senior and will be graduating this year. She is reading above a 12th grade level. Her report card is As and Bs. She will be entering college in the fall. She is an intelligent, confident young woman that is ready to take the next step. We will always be grateful for what DVFS did for our daughter and the words thank you are not enough.
- Posted by Parent - conni
Public school was not good for my son. The special education program was not helpful. I did not see much growth and he wasn't working to his fullest potential. Once I sent him to DVFS he changed socially and academically. He is now an honor roll student. The teachers are very helpful and kind. The teachers provide additional help to students outside of their regular class times. The students are respectful. My son loves going to school and talking about the things he's learning about. DVFS is a great school and I would recommend it to any parent that has a child with learning difficulties.
- Posted by Parent - Anees
Delaware Valley Friends School is a fantastic place for students with learning differences to excel. My daughter has been there for 3 years and has become a confident, self-advocate with a clear understanding of her learning needs. She has had opportunities for service, leadership and growth that simply would not have been available to her at any other school. Her teachers have been incredibly supportive and have given her the skills she will need moving forward into college and beyond. I highly recommend DVFS and wold encourage anyone who is considering it for their student to attend an open house to learn more about this lifenchanging school.
- Posted by Parent - charp
Public school was toxic for my daughter to the point that I did not even know who she was anymore. I thought I had lost my sweet girl, until I placed her at DVF. After a few months she became a kind, morally focused, and respectful individual who has aspirations for her future. Thank you for giving me my daughter back.
- Posted by Parent - leccb
When I was in elementary public school. I never understood why I couldn't do well in certain classes. Then I found out I was dyslexic. I never cared too much about school from then on. Until I went to DVFS. I then was never embarrassed about my "disability " they presented it as a difference which I first thaught was a sugar coded way of saying learning disability but I was wrong. Nothing prevented me from being able to learn I just needed to learn how I learn. I spent 4 years of high school learning how I learn best and with that way how should I best study. This gave me so much encouragement. I am now an alumni of not only DVFS but also Cornell University.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - emily
DVFS provided a quality education that helped our daughter achieve confidence, executive functioning skills, great study habits, and a heart for service. The teachers and staff treat the students with respect and challenge them beyond their "labels". They always communicated with the child but equally with the parent. Their communication was and is impeccable. We are grateful parents and she is a grateful young woman with a bright future starting college this year.
- Posted by Parent - ea.qu
Delaware Valley Friends School not only changes the lives of their students; it changes, positively, the lives of the entire family. The faculty makes the dreams of each student a reality and helps them achieve all they deserve to be. DVFS has saved our daughter and provided her the future she hoped for.
- Posted by Parent - adams