Abington Friends School
- In a culture of intellectual and creative ambition, we cultivate fearless, curious learning for students age 3 through grade 12.
- Engaged and purposeful in every moment, students leave AFS with clear, strong and thoughtful voices, prepared for lives of meaning and accomplishment.
- Abington Friends School, a Quaker, co-educational college preparatory school, has stood on its original campus in Jenkintown since 1697.
- Today, rich in racial, socioeconomic and ideological variety, the School draws students from approximately 75 ZIP codes around the greater Philadelphia area, 100% of whom go on to four-year colleges.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Friends Council on Education (FCE)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Total Students||568 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||77 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Number of AP Courses||12 courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Suzanne Hodges|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Wrestling,
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Fort WashingtonGrades: PK-12 | 1109 students
340 Morris Rd
Fort Washington, PA 19034
- PhiladelphiaGrades: PK-12 | 947 students
3000 W School House Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19144
- PhiladelphiaGrades: K-12 | 906 students
31 West Coulter Street
Philadelphia, PA 19144
- GlensideGrades: K-12 | 257 students
35 Hillcrest Avenue
Glenside, PA 19038
- NewtownGrades: 9-12
1690 Newtown Langhorne Road
Newtown, PA 18940
My two very different children have been through each division of Abington Friends School and I cannot imagine a better learning environment. AFS fosters a love of learning while teaching children to think deeply about each subject. Abington Friends is ahead of the curve in providing the type of education that is critical to academic and professional success in the world today. Students experience academic rigor in a collaborative environment where they are taught how to think critically and become creative problem solvers. I credit AFS with helping my children grow into the strong, confident and secure individuals they are.
- Posted by Parent - betha
We couldn't be happier with Abington Friends School. Our two children are very different, and they are both thriving. They are intellectually stimulated and have developed great friendships with peers. They will be well be prepared for college and beyond. Combine robust academic, arts and athletic programs, a supportive and talented staff with a diverse student body, and you get AFS.
- Posted by Parent - nwate
Abington Friends School is the perfect balance of academic rigor and a nurturing environment. The teachers and students have strong, respectful relationships that make AFS a safe place to grow and learn. Challenging oneself academically is expected. My children have grown into mature critical thinkers, joyful learners, and advocates for themselves and those around them. The leadership skills combined with a strong sense of social justice allow them to effectively manage the diverse and complex world in which we live. If you haven't seen AFS is action, it is well worth a visit!
- Posted by Parent - churb