Academy Of St. Joseph
5.00 (5 reviews)
Tel: (212)243-5420 Ext. 11
Academy Of St. Joseph Photo #2 - In April 2007, renovations began on the historic six-story building located in Greenwich Village, only blocks away from New York University and Washington Square. The school would house ten classrooms, a beautiful assembly hall, a dining hall, an art studio, library, science lab and rooftop playground.
Academy Of St. Joseph Photo #3 - Eighth graders enjoy a gorgeous day in Washington Square Park to work on their writing
Academy Of St. Joseph Photo #4 - We are very fortunate to be able to use our beautiful street for recess and truly get an NYC school experience.
Academy Of St. Joseph Photo #5 - At the Academy of St. Joseph, we believe in the power of a rigorous, humanities-based curriculum. Music is an important part of our program!
- The Academy of St. Joseph is committed to a set of core beliefs. These beliefs define and bind the community together to create an enriched, vibrant and balanced educational experience for all students.
- We believe that by working together we can develop students who will embody our mission as people of character, of competence, and of compassion.
- The motto of the Academy of St. Joseph reflects the qualities and characteristics which are at the core of our mission.
- We seek to foster character, competence, and compassion in every student.
- We provide an environment in which every child can experience the joy and the love of learning and knowledge for the enrichment of themselves and of others.
- We endeavor to provide our students with experiences that will encourage them to excel at what they do, to embrace a cause or belief with passion and intelligence, and to always strive to treat people with respect and dignity.
- The mission of the Academy of St. Joseph is to provide a comprehensive academic education that also enables the intellectual, spiritual and moral development of students.
- This is accomplished by interested and dedicated teachers who motivate and guide their students through an academic and core curriculum integrated with the teachings of the Catholic Church, the humanities, and the wisdom of the ages.
Academy Of St. Joseph places among the top 20% of private schools in New York for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||78 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||11 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Nov. 30 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$26,700|
|Admissions Director||Ms. Angela Coombs|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Basketball, Cross Country, Fencing, Golf, Soccer, Track and FieldBallet, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Fencing,
Track and Field
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||16 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Ballet, Chess, Computer Coding/App design, Cooking, Hip Hop Dance, Leadership, Piano, Robotics, Scholar's, Yoga
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Sports
- The school utilizes the SAO through The Enrollment Management Association.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New York Grades: K-12 | 705 students
610 East 83rd Street
New York, NY 10028
(212)744-8582 4 K-12
- New York Grades: NS-12 | 997 students
139 W 91st St
New York, NY 10024
(212)932-6856 4.3 NS-12
My son was one of the first graduating class at The Academy of Saint Joseph. He always said that one of the best things about the school were the friendships that he made while he was there. And I agree with him. My son started going to The Academy of St. Joseph in 6th Grade and the school has been like an extended family. It is a wonderful community ---small and intimate---which is rare in New York City. My other child started when she was in kindergarten. She is now in 2nd Grade and absolutely adores going to the school.
- Posted by Parent - mzlat
AOSJ has done a wonderful job welcoming our family. They have a fully differentiated curriculum, which allows them to meet students where they are and push them to their highest potential without separating them from their social peers. They don't have a gifted program, per se, but so far they've kept our 99th percentile 3rd grader on his toes! They also truly follow the Catholic mission of reaching out to those on the margins by welcoming students with special needs, with or without an IEP from the DoE. (If you don't know what that is, you're lucky!) They truly treat each child as an individual, give primacy to the parents as primary educators and work with them to ensure each child's needs are met. The administration is excellent! Parents and students alike know what to expect and what is expected of them. We are so blessed to have a Head of School with vision, practical skills, and the demeanor of your favorite teacher. And on top of all that, they are a diverse community that despite its small size has avoided becoming cliquish. We were welcomed warmly, made friends quickly, and fit in without having to play a part. AOSJ is a place where being unique is a virtue.Also, though the statistics say students of color make up 30% of the student body, it's worth taking into account that many families have one or more parent from another country, which isn't measured on this school profile. The diversity of the school is wonderful! From a student body of 110, more than 30 different countries were represented at International Day. Differences in language, family structure, culture, etc. are embraced. AOSJ is a place where being unique is a virtue.
- Posted by Parent - atreb
AOSJ provides an excellent education in an environment that is small enough to allow for individualized student attention. Teachers and parents remain in close communication throughout the school year. The AOSJ community is a warm and inviting group, focused on the best interests of the children.
- Posted by Parent - cnyar
The Academy is a wonderful, warm, caring environment with rigorous academic standards. The school really caters to the whole child. The teachers encourage students to perform well academically, while fostering in each student the personal responsibility and deep commitment to the community, both at the school and beyond. We couldn`t be happier.
- Posted by Parent - mulvi
As a native New Yorker who attended both parochial and independent catholic schools in the city, I am well aware that our family has found an educational gem in the Academy of Saint Joseph. Expectations run high, but each child's potential is individually cultivated by the dedicated faculty. The Head of the School is a visionary educator and her door is always open. This school is truly a rare find that strives to develop the whole child--intellectually, physically and spiritually with a challenging academic program, a first-rate athletic program that is likely unrivaled in similar small-school environments, and an emphasis on each student's responsibility to the community at large. I just wish they had a high school!
- Posted by Parent - kawee
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.