Allendale Columbia School
- Now well into its second century, Allendale Columbia is a leading independent, co-ed, college-prep school for students in nursery through grade 12.
- Here, learning goes far beyond books and tests. We have the freedom to dig deeper so students can question more, discuss, debate, and question again.
- As a result, our students develop real critical thinking skills and become effective problem solvers.
- Our faculty members use their advanced degrees, independence and experience to connect knowledge to real life so students can make more sense of the world - and their place in it.
- It all adds up to a different school of thought: high expectations and relevant experiences that prepare students to succeed in a global community.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||420 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 28%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||59 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Number of AP Courses||16 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||1340|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$18,370|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies by grade level ($9000 - $23525). Financial aid is available. Please contact the school for details.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$11,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Shannon Baudo|
|Admissions Associate||Shelby Hill|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Bowling, Cross Country,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Community Service Club, Mock Trial, Muse, Others are added based on student interest, Social Committee, Student Ambassadors, TEDx Club, the AC Literary Magazine, Yearbook|
- "Academically speaking, there is no better preparation for the future than Allendale Columbia education. Beyond the classroom, the values and life skills taught at Allendale Columbia are applicable to every aspect of life.' Rob C. '11, Harvard University '15.
- "This is my first year, and I've never had this much fun at school." Megan C. '17
- "Here, we teach students to reach out to their teachers, to initiate further conversation, to dig deeper. Student-teacher relationships are cherished and as a result, every student is known and challenged." Mick Gee, Head of School
- "Actively participating in class can sometimes be challenging, but because it was so encouraged at AC, it has become infinitely easier for me." Sarina S. '11, Princeton University '16
- "I find myself well-prepared for the challenging courses offered in college compared to other students in my classes." Yunmei Z. '12, Cornell University '16
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Rochester Grades: PK-12 | 484 students
1981 Clover Street
Rochester, NY 14618
(585)442-1770 0.4 PK-12
- Rochester Grades: 6-12 | 781 students
1127 Dewey Ave
Rochester, NY 14613
(585)254-2020 6.9 6-12
- Rochester Grades: 6-12 | 267 students
125 Kings Hwy S
Rochester, NY 14617
(585)342-4000 6.1 6-12
- Rochester Grades: 6-12 | 777 students
1437 Blossom Rd
Rochester, NY 14610
(585)288-7120 2.1 6-12
Allendale Columbia is a school that is evolving - I love what the school is doing with May Term offerings, and it allows for my two children to be seen as individuals with individual needs. They are both actively involved in music, and extra-curricular activities, like the Lego Robotics teams and pit band. It is a wonderful feeling knowing that the sports program is a no-cut policy, where my kids can feel like they can try a sport and be part of a team without being cut out of the process from the start. I highly recommend this school for anyone who wants a unique, student-centric, and high quality education for their child.
- Posted by Parent - duvet
Allendale Columbia is a completely different school than it was two years. Thanks primarily to the arrival of Mick Gee, the new Head of School in 2012 and John Sullivan, the new Head of the Lower School in 2011, AC is being restructured and set on a new path. The school has freed itself from standardized testing and bureaucrat regulations to instead enable it to quickly respond to new educational trends and the are responsible for the fine strokes. The students feel like they are part in school seven days a week if she could. Another key item that makes AC noteworthy is their ability to serve children with needs on both ends of the spectrum. They have employed math and reading stimulation. At the beginning of the 2012 school year, AC responded to a need in a matter of weeks to implement their new STEM program
- Posted by Parent - 11
As it concerns the Lower School, Allendale Columbia is a completely different school than it was two years. Thanks primarily to the arrival of Mick Gee, the new Head of School in 2012 and John Sullivan, the new Head of the Lower School in 2011, AC is being restructured and set on a new path. The school has freed itself from standardized testing and bureaucrat regulations to instead enable it to quickly respond to new educational trends and the individual needs of the students. Lower School education is now project and inquiry based learning with real world relevance. The faculty paints the broad strokes of the curriculum, but the students are responsible for the fine strokes. The students feel like they are part of a higher purpose and can participate in projects that they are passionate about, have a stake in, and can help make a difference. Learning is now interesting and fun.
- Posted by Parent - chris
Parents are involved and have many opportunities to connect with other parents to discuss their child(ren) and to support each other. This spirals into students who benefit from this community atmosphere and who develop into mature adults.
- Posted by Parent - maryb
The teachers are amazing and extremely supportive . The environment is safe and nurturing and children are allowed to blossom to their fullest potential. Amazing school. We are here to stay!
- Posted by Parent - Shann