Allendale Columbia School
5.00 (5 reviews)
Tel: (585) 381-4560
Allendale Columbia School Photo #2 - Our 33-acre, park-like campus is nestled on Allens Creek Road, just on the border of Pittsford and Brighton.
Allendale Columbia School Photo #3 - Each year we enroll exceptionally talented and motivated students who bring a tremendous amount to our community. Our ability to provide access to a diverse population of students creates an intentional and unique community where students become engaged global citizens, independent and self-directed learners, and creative and discerning thinkers.
Allendale Columbia School Photo #4 - An AC education can begin as young as 18 months-old through our Reggio-Emilia inspired curriculum at the AC Little School.
Allendale Columbia School Photo #5 - Students in Nursery through Fifth Grade are free to explore, encouraged to take risks and develop their own voice, while learning the key foundational skills needed to be successful as they continue their education beyond this Division.
Allendale Columbia School Photo #6 - We believe learning is about more than what happens within the walls of our school. Through our authentic learning opportunities, we connect what students learn in the classroom to real-world issues, problems, and applications.
Allendale Columbia School Photo #7 - We believe that physical health, learning, and the environment are naturally connected. Our commitment to a healthy and sustainable food program means that we limit processed foods, provide homemade meals whenever possible, and offer a variety of options for students to choose from daily. We accommodate a wide variety of food allergies, vegetarian or vegan diets, or medically-related food needs.
Allendale Columbia School Photo #8 - Each year Allendale Columbia School's two international houses serve as a home away from home for our 25-35 international students who come from as many as 15 different countries and 4 continents!
Allendale Columbia School Photo #9 - Get ready to roll up your sleeves and get outside! Most days if you were to visit campus, you would see our classes taking advantage of our on-campus creek, nature trails, apiary, courtyard, playgrounds, and athletic fields. Who says learning has to just be indoors?!
Allendale Columbia School Photo #10 - Our Centers for Impact, including the Center for Global Engagement, the Center for Entrepreneurship, and the Invent Center for STEM & Innovation, provide students with opportunities for leadership, internships, and real-world experiences to prepare them for life beyond AC.
- Allendale Columbia is a leading independent school for students age 18 months through grade 12.
- Allendale Columbia's Centers for Entrepreneurship; Global Engagement; and Invent Center for STEM & Innovation provide students with opportunitites to engage locally and internationally.
- Our students come from 26 school districts, 42 zip codes, and 9 nations abroad.
- We operate two international houses near campus to provide housing for international students and to supplement our host family stay option.
- Allendale Columbia is the most diverse school in Rochester, according to recent data in the Rochester Business Journal's Annual School Report.
- Open House - Fri., January 15, 2021 - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., January 20, 2021 12:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., January 27, 2021 12:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., February 03, 2021 12:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., February 10, 2021 12:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., February 24, 2021 12:00pm (EST) - get more information!
- ...read more
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||349 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||67 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Number of AP Courses||12 courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Computer Science A, AP Computer Science Principles, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP European History, AP French Language and Culture, AP Physics 2, AP Physics I, AP Spanish Language and Culture, AP Statistics, Computer Science (Post-AP Course), Science Writing and Research (Post-AP Course)|
|Average SAT score||1256|
|Average ACT score||28|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies by grade level and is updated annually. Please email email@example.com to request our current tuition rates.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$13,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Shelby Riter|
|Admissions Associate||Emily Nevinger|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Bowling, Cross Country,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||25 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Advocacy Clubs, Best Buddies, Community Service, Debate, Entrepreneurship, Gardening, Global Engagement, Literary Magazine, Robotics, STEM, Student Leadership, Summer LEAP, TEDx, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Acting, Band, Ceramics, Choir, Creative Movement, Digital Photography, Drama Production, Filmmaking, Graphic Design
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Intramural Sports, Ski Club
- Leading, independent, co-ed day school
- Students ages 18 months - Grade 12
- Diverse international residential program
- Student-to-teacher ratio of 6:1
- Center for STEM and Innovation
- Center for Entrepreneurship
- Center for Global Engagement
- "Academically speaking, there is no better preparation for the future than Allendale Columbia education. Beyond the classroom, the values and life skills taught at Allendale Columbia are applicable to every aspect of life.' Rob C. '11, Harvard University '15.
- "This is my first year, and I've never had this much fun at school." Megan C. '17
- "Here, we teach students to reach out to their teachers, to initiate further conversation, to dig deeper. Student-teacher relationships are cherished and as a result, every student is known and challenged." Mick Gee, Former Head of School
- "Actively participating in class can sometimes be challenging, but because it was so encouraged at AC, it has become infinitely easier for me." Sarina S. '11, Princeton University '16
- "I find myself well-prepared for the challenging courses offered in college compared to other students in my classes." Yunmei Z. '12, Cornell University '16
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Rochester Grades: PK-12 | 500 students
1981 Clover Street
Rochester, NY 14618
(585) 442-1770 0.4 PK-12
- Rochester Grades: 6-12 | 726 students
1127 Dewey Ave
Rochester, NY 14613
(585) 254-2020 6.9 6-12
- Rochester Grades: 6-12 | 277 students
125 Kings Hwy S
Rochester, NY 14617
(585) 342-4000 6.1 6-12
- Rochester Grades: 6-12 | 799 students
1437 Blossom Road
Rochester, NY 14610
(585) 288-7120 2.1 6-12
Allendale Columbia is a school that is evolving - I love what the school is doing with May Term offerings, and it allows for my two children to be seen as individuals with individual needs. They are both actively involved in music, and extra-curricular activities, like the Lego Robotics teams and pit band. It is a wonderful feeling knowing that the sports program is a no-cut policy, where my kids can feel like they can try a sport and be part of a team without being cut out of the process from the start. I highly recommend this school for anyone who wants a unique, student-centric, and high quality education for their child.
- Posted by Parent - duvet
Allendale Columbia is a completely different school than it was two years. Thanks primarily to the arrival of Mick Gee, the new Head of School in 2012 and John Sullivan, the new Head of the Lower School in 2011, AC is being restructured and set on a new path. The school has freed itself from standardized testing and bureaucrat regulations to instead enable it to quickly respond to new educational trends and the are responsible for the fine strokes. The students feel like they are part in school seven days a week if she could. Another key item that makes AC noteworthy is their ability to serve children with needs on both ends of the spectrum. They have employed math and reading stimulation. At the beginning of the 2012 school year, AC responded to a need in a matter of weeks to implement their new STEM program
- Posted by Parent - 11
As it concerns the Lower School, Allendale Columbia is a completely different school than it was two years. Thanks primarily to the arrival of Mick Gee, the new Head of School in 2012 and John Sullivan, the new Head of the Lower School in 2011, AC is being restructured and set on a new path. The school has freed itself from standardized testing and bureaucrat regulations to instead enable it to quickly respond to new educational trends and the individual needs of the students. Lower School education is now project and inquiry based learning with real world relevance. The faculty paints the broad strokes of the curriculum, but the students are responsible for the fine strokes. The students feel like they are part of a higher purpose and can participate in projects that they are passionate about, have a stake in, and can help make a difference. Learning is now interesting and fun.
- Posted by Parent - chris
Parents are involved and have many opportunities to connect with other parents to discuss their child(ren) and to support each other. This spirals into students who benefit from this community atmosphere and who develop into mature adults.
- Posted by Parent - maryb
The teachers are amazing and extremely supportive . The environment is safe and nurturing and children are allowed to blossom to their fullest potential. Amazing school. We are here to stay!
- Posted by Parent - Shann
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.