The Harley School
The Harley School Photo #2 - The 25-acre campus is located in a residential suburb of Rochester, NY, and includes an organic micro-farm, nature center, outdoor tennis courts, and playing fields, along with a brand new natural-setting playground with sun shade and musical instruments.
The Harley School Photo #3 - Rooted in the progressive tradition, The Harley School offers an innovative and demanding program with a balanced emphasis on academic disciplines, the arts, and project-based experiential learning for Nursery to Grade 12 students.
The Harley School Photo #4 - The Commons is the first PreK-12 education space in the country to offer students multiple dimensions of education around creating a sustainable future. A 15,000-square-foot recycled Western NY barn, the structure earns its status as a "living building" because it generates its own energy, heating and cooling with renewable nontoxic resources.
The Harley School Photo #5 - The Commons includes a workshop and makerspace dedicated to hands on learning. Used by classes across all three divisions, these spaces allow for creative projects based on design thinking principles.
The Harley School Photo #6 - Apiary at The Harley School. Students participate in honey production and sale.
The Harley School Photo #7 - Joy in Learning. The Harley School's Nursery program begins at age 3 and is focused on school readiness and creating a positive foundation for learning.
The Harley School Photo #8 - HAC Athletics, NYSPHSAA Section V. Every student is encouraged to participate in a sport and HAC athletics provides opportunities at 3 different levels: modified, junior varsity, and varsity. When interscholastic competition begins in Middle School, our teams are all-inclusive, so every student who wants to play can be part of the team.
The Harley School Photo #9 - Harley's state of the art facilities include the 27,000 s.f. Sands-Stern Study Center; Robin Lehman Center for Visual Arts, including a glassblowing studio and student studio space; The Commons Sustainability Center, including science classrooms, Briggs Center for Civic Engagement, and the Center for Mindfulness and Empathy Education; tennis courts (three indoor and four outdoor), swimming pool, and theatre.
The Harley School Photo #10 - College acceptances in the past five years include: Brown University, Bryn Mawr College, Carnegie Mellon University, Cornell University, Duke University, Johns Hopkins University, New York University, Stanford University, Swarthmore College, Wellesley College, Williams College, Yale University, and more.
- Founded in 1917, The Harley School is a college preparatory, independent day school.
- A diverse, inclusive community, Harley is coeducational and nonsectarian.
- We provide a balanced education that inspires academic excellence, encourages joy in learning, and promotes intellectual and physical fitness.
- We value respectful discourse, collaborative learning, and service to others. Financial aid, wrap care, and transportation are available.
The Harley School places among the top 20% of private schools in New York for:
- Category Attribute
- ACT Score Highest average ACT score
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- AP Courses Most AP courses offered
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||484 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||80 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Number of AP Courses||18 courses|
|Advanced Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Literature & Composition, French Language & Culture, Microeconomics, Physics 1, Physics C: Mechanics, Spanish Language & Culture, Statistics, Studio Art: 2D Design, Studio Art: 3D Design, Studio Art: Drawing, Studio Art: Drawing, U.S. Government & Politics, U.S. History|
|Average SAT score||1329|
|Average ACT score||31|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies by grade level ($16,900- $26,900). Acorn and Oak Tree Grants and financial assistance available. Please contact The Harley School for details.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Kirsten Reader|
|Admissions Associate||Cheryl Skiba|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Bowling, Cross Country,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||30 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
advocacy clubs, chess, community service, debate, design thinking, gardening, hospice, internships, literary magazine, newspaper, robotics, student council, yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
acting, ceramic wheelworking, choir, digital filmmaking, digital graphic design, drama production, glass making, improv, jazz band, jewelry making, music lessons, musical production, pottery, strings ensemble, women's choir
Recreational Athletic Programs:
intramural sports, ski club
- Student-to-teacher ratio 1:7; devoted faculty with an average tenure of 17 years.
- 25 acre campus with state-of-the art facilities.
- 27,000 square foot Academic Center, including the Lehman Center for the Visual Arts and Glass Studio.
- The Commons, the first preK-12 education space in the country to include multiple dimensions of education for a sustainable future. It houses the Briggs Center for Civic Engagement, the Center for Mindfulness and Empathy Education, a science center, and a Makerspace. Recently added, the Peckham Wellness Center.
- Students are from 30 school districts and 5 counties.
- Why I Chose Harley: Chuck Rutberg '22
- Why I Teach at Harley: Kirsten Reader, Middle School English Teacher
- Why I Teach at Harley: Marlene Heuer, Nursery Teacher
- Harley on Instagram
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Rochester Grades: 6-12 | 726 students
1127 Dewey Ave
Rochester, NY 14613
(585)254-2020 6.5 6-12
- Rochester Grades: 6-12 | 277 students
125 Kings Hwy S
Rochester, NY 14617
(585)342-4000 5.9 6-12
- Rochester Grades: PK-12
2400 Chili Avenue
Rochester, NY 14624
(585)247-1112 7.6 PK-12
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.