The Harley School
- Founded in 1917, The Harley School is a college preparatory, independent day school.
- A diverse, inclusive community, Harley is coeducational and nonsectarian.
- We provide a balanced education that inspires academic excellence, encourages joy in learning, and promotes intellectual and physical fitness.
- We value respectful discourse, collaborative learning, and service to others. Financial aid, wrap care, and transportation are available.
The Harley School places among the top 20% of private schools in New York for:
- Category Attribute
- ACT Score Highest average ACT score
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- AP Courses Most AP courses offered
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||500 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||80 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Number of AP Courses||18 courses|
|Advanced Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Literature & Composition, French Language & Culture, Microeconomics, Physics 1, Physics C: Mechanics, Spanish Language & Culture, Statistics, Studio Art: 2D Design, Studio Art: 3D Design, Studio Art: Drawing, Studio Art: Drawing, U.S. Government & Politics, U.S. History|
|Average SAT score||1329|
|Average ACT score||31|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies by grade level ($17,600- $28,400). Acorn and Grants and financial assistance available. Please contact The Harley School for details.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Kirsten Reader|
|Admissions Associate||Cheryl Skiba|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Bowling, Cross Country,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||30 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
advocacy clubs, chess, community service, debate, design thinking, gardening, hospice, internships, literary magazine, newspaper, robotics, student council, yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
acting, ceramic wheelworking, choir, digital filmmaking, digital graphic design, drama production, glass making, improv, jazz band, jewelry making, music lessons, musical production, pottery, strings ensemble, women's choir
Recreational Athletic Programs:
intramural sports, ski club
- Student-to-teacher ratio 1:7; devoted faculty with an average tenure of 17 years.
- 25 acre campus with state-of-the art facilities.
- 27,000 square foot Academic Center, including the Lehman Center for the Visual Arts and Glass Studio.
- The Commons, the first preK-12 education space in the country to include multiple dimensions of education for a sustainable future. It houses the Briggs Center for Civic Engagement, the Center for Mindfulness and Empathy Education, a science center, and a Makerspace. Recently added, the Peckham Wellness Center.
- Students are from 30 school districts and 5 counties.
- Why I Chose Harley: Chuck Rutberg '22
- Why I Teach at Harley: Kirsten Reader, Middle School English Teacher
- Why I Teach at Harley: Marlene Heuer, Nursery Teacher
- Harley on Instagram
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Rochester Grades: 6-12 | 726 students
1127 Dewey Ave
Rochester, NY 14613
(585) 254-2020 6.5 6-12
- Rochester Grades: 6-12 | 277 students
125 Kings Hwy S
Rochester, NY 14617
(585) 342-4000 5.9 6-12