Our Lady Of Mercy School For Young Women
Our Lady Of Mercy School For Young Women Photo #2 - Our Lady of Mercy School for Young Women is extremely proud of our faculty 96% of whom hold master`s or doctorate degrees. Mercy teachers set high expectations for all students and spend the time necessary to ensure each student`s success.
Our Lady Of Mercy School For Young Women Photo #3 - Mercy provides three unique community learning environments on one campus (6th grade, 7th and 8th grades, and high school), offering age-appropriate academic, social, emotional, and spiritual experiences. We offer a 14:1 student to faculty ratio, with our faculty focused on continuous curriculum improvement.
Our Lady Of Mercy School For Young Women Photo #4 - Mercy builds on our nearly 30 years of middle school success, ensuring an individualized, safe learning environment, rich in tradition and rooted in faith. It is here where our students discover their many talents and enhanced self-confidence. During these transformative years, they master the critically important academic foundation required for the rigorous collegiate program to follow.
Our Lady Of Mercy School For Young Women Photo #5 - Mercy`s college preparatory academic program develops critical thinking, collaboration, and problem-solving skills grounded in values that will help students make a difference in the world. The girls experience challenging collegiate core classes while being offered multiple opportunities in STEM, Visual Arts, Performing Arts, Business, and electives in Social Studies, English, Math, and Science.
Our Lady Of Mercy School For Young Women Photo #6 - Spirit Week is one of the most anticipated annual traditions at Mercy. Held a few weeks following the start of school, Spirit Week culminates in the celebration that is Spirit Day. The competition among classes is fierce for the coveted (but imaginary) `School Spirit Award.` The bond of sisterhood and the need to provide for our community wins the day.
Our Lady Of Mercy School For Young Women Photo #7 - Our Lady of Mercy School for Young Women is a Roman Catholic middle and high school sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy. As part of our Campus Ministry, we seek to form our young women and staff in their faith and in their understanding of the `charism` of the Sisters of Mercy.
Our Lady Of Mercy School For Young Women Photo #8 - Our Lady of Mercy School for Young Women boasts a strong and proud tradition of interscholastic athletic participation and success. Athletics plays an important role in the growth and development of Mercy students; over 70% of the student body participates on one or more interscholastic athletic team or club. The emphasis we have placed on athletics over the years has
Our Lady Of Mercy School For Young Women Photo #9 - Mercy opened its doors in 1928. Over the years, we have built magnificent traditions that are integral to all the members within the Circle of Mercy. This includes over 13,000 Mercy alumnae truly women whose lives were changed at Mercy! Each of our school`s traditions has special and meaningful significance to every Mercy Girl. Quite often, alumnae return to Mercy
Our Lady Of Mercy School For Young Women Photo #10 - Each one of Mercy`s 13,000 graduates began where you are- wondering if Mercy is the right fit. Mercy IS the right fit academically, socially, and spiritually. The most incredible journeys in life begin with the tiniest step; your journey to Mercy begins with three tiny steps. Visit www.mercyhs.com/ to learn more.
- Our Lady of Mercy School for Young Women is the only college preparatory, faith-based private school, exclusively for young women in the Rochester region that builds life-changing competence, confidence, and compassion in its students.
- Mercy prepares and inspires young women to achieve the highest level of success in college, in career, and in the community.
- Our school is for girls and their families - inclusive of all incomes, races, and faith affiliations - entering grades 6-12 who are seeking an alternative to public school or who wish to continue to pursue a faith-based education
- Strong academic and extra-curricular offerings $30 million in college scholarships awarded to Class of 2019
- 100% graduation rate Globally ready Prestigious and successful alumnae network
- Safe, comfortable environment Bonded by a spirited sisterhood of solidarity
- Care for the mind, body and spirit Supportive advocacy of a caring faculty and staff
- Foundation of Christian principles and values of the Sisters of Mercy
- Strict moral compass Passion for success Over 90 years of excellence
Our Lady Of Mercy School For Young Women places among the top 20% of private schools in New York for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- Sports offered Most sports offered
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Total Students||799 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||58 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|Average SAT score||1189|
|Average ACT score||25|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Uniform plaid skirts, khaki pants, polo shirts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$12,750|
|Tuition Notes||A Mercy education is truly life changing, and a Mercy education is an investment in your daughter’s future. Mercy is able to maintain affordable tuition rates thanks to our generous donors: alumnae, families, and friends. Their contributions help bridge the gap between the actual cost of a Mercy education and the tuition we charge – saving each and every parent over $2,000 per student. COMPLETE TUITION RATES: $8,930 (grade 6), $11,530 (grades 7-8), $12,435 (grades 9-11), $12,750 (grade 12). Mercy’s robust scholarship and financial aid program awarded more than $1.5 million in 2018-2019 (80% of families who applied for aid received an award). We offer merit scholarships, need-based aid, and a multiple student tuition incentive. In 2019, more than $1,500,000 was given to families in financial assistance.|
|Admissions Director||Rose Feor Cooper '02|
|Admissions Associate||Alana Colaruotolo Caston '07|
|Total Sports Offered||17 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Golf, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter TrackAlpine Skiing, Basketball,|
Crew, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||1 extracurricular|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
50 Clubs to choose from!
- Transforming Young Women into World Class Leaders
- Academics. Sisterhood. Support. These are just a few of the many reasons why Mercy was voted Rochester`s Best Private School by the Rochester Business Journal Reader Rankings Poll in 2018 and 2019. Earning this top spot year-after-year confirms what we`ve known for 90 years - Mercy`s collaborative, all-girl, compassionate environment transforms young women into confident leaders who are fully capable to play an active role in the world around them.
- Mercy Girls possess a moral compass, they are risk-takers, they demonstrate a growth mindset, they are globally-ready, they are resilient problem-solvers, and they are excellent communicators. But it`s not just these shared skills and attributes that bind our students, it is also the sense of sisterhood and support you won`t find in any other school.
- Mercy is a Roman Catholic school for young women in grades 6-12 offering a college preparatory academic program. Our school is a ministry of the Sisters of Mercy, founded by Catherine McAuley in 1831. We are part of a 58-member Mercy Education System of the Americas, and as such, are committed to the education of young women of all faiths and backgrounds.
- Since 1928, Our Lady of Mercy School for Young Women has been a life changing experience for over 13,000 students. Countless friendships have been cultivated and stood the test of time because of Mercy`s powerful and caring sisterhood. There are so many stories of young women whose lives and careers reached the stars thanks to the academic and moral foundation they received at Mercy. Our goal is to provide students with the tools they need to experience academic excellence, spirituality, and lifelong success.
- Mercy`s academic curriculum is college preparatory. Over 70% of the student population participates in the athletics program as members of over 30 sports teams. Mercy students take part in many extracurricular activities, including clubs, student-led groups, and the performing arts. Ministry and service are integral parts of the Mercy experience. The traditions of Mercy date back to 1928 and include Spirit Week, Golden Mass, and May Day.
- Mercy alumnae are active with their alma mater, participating in reunions and fundraisers, and many become parents of Mercy students. Leadership on campus and in the community helps students achieve greatness in their college years and beyond.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Rochester Grades: 6-12 | 726 students
1127 Dewey Ave
Rochester, NY 14613
(585)254-2020 5.7 6-12
- Rochester Grades: 6-12 | 277 students
125 Kings Hwy S
Rochester, NY 14617
(585)342-4000 4.2 6-12
- Rochester Grades: PK-12 | 484 students
1981 Clover Street
Rochester, NY 14618
(585)442-1770 2.1 PK-12
- Rochester Grades: PK-6 | 116 students
311 Flower City Park
Rochester, NY 14615
(585)458-3786 5.7 PK-6
Nearby Homes for Sale
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.