Asheville School Photo #2 - Asheville School has 21 interscholastic sports teams and the school's athletic facilities are considered among the best in the Southeast.
Asheville School Photo #3 - Boyd Chapel. Our Core Values are perseverance, integrity, respect, and compassion.
Asheville School Photo #5 - Smaller classes allow students to engage in respectful discussion and debate with their peers or one-on-one guidance with their teacher. The average class size is 13.
Asheville School Photo #6 - Asheville School classrooms are a warm and inviting place. While the substance of the curriculum is traditional, teachers use innovation to connect the subject matter to their students and keep it relevant.
Asheville School Photo #8 - Students at Asheville School are a part of a very close and caring community.
- Founded in 1900, Asheville School is one of the few remaining true small boarding schools in America.
- This is a nurturing community, where our students and faculty genuinely know one another - thanks to family-style seated meals, senior chapel talks and century-old traditions.
- We offer a rigorous college preparatory program. Many of our graduates are accepted to the most prestigious schools in the country. In fact, the majority of our recent graduates are attending colleges and universities Barron's rates as "highly selective" and "most selective."
- We teach 21st century and timeless skills - critical thinking, communication, collaboration and creativity - in a traditional setting, where students are known and loved.
- Our acceptance rate is 40 percent, and we have alumni in all 50 states and in about 35 countries around the world.
- Our 300-acre campus, with pastoral fields encircled by the Blue Ridge Mountains, is nestled in the city of Asheville, North Carolina. In fact, Architectural Digest named Asheville School the most beautiful private high school in North Carolina in 2018.
Asheville School places among the top 20% of private schools in North Carolina for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- SAT Score Highest average SAT score
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
- AP Courses Most AP courses offered
- Sports offered Most sports offered
- Extracurriculars Most extracurriculars offered
- School History Oldest founding date
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Association for Experiential Education (AEE)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
Southern Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||295 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 16%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||48 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Number of AP Courses||16 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP European English, AP European History, AP French, AP Music Theory, AP Physics B, AP Physics C, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, Honors Algebra II, Honors American Studies, History, Honors Chemistry, Honors Chinese II, Honors Chinese III, Honors Chinese IV, Honors Chinese V, Honors European Studies, History, Honors French II, Honors French III, Honors French IV, Honors Geometry, Honors Humanities Seminar, Honors Humanities Seminar II, Honors Physics, Honors Precalculus, Honors Precalculus, Advanced, Honors Spanish II, Honors Spanish III, Honors Spanish IV, Honors World Studies, English|
|Average SAT score||1310|
|Average ACT score||27|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Coat and tie for boys; coat and button-down shirt for girls.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 10 / Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$57,650|
|Tuition Notes||Boarding tuition is $57650. Day Tuition is $33,975. There's a $630 international fee.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$31,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||John T. Smith III|
|Admissions Associate||Derry Roberson|
|Endowment Size||$48.8 million|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||38 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
App Development, Bird Watching Club, Black Student Union, Bow Tie Society, Chess Club, Christian Fellowship, Cooking Club, Design Club, Gay Straight Alliance, Hoste Society (tour guides), International Club, Martial Arts Club, Math Club, Microlending, Mitchell Cabinet (Service Club), Multicultural Club, Peer Tutoring, Photography Club, Prefects (Senior Student Leaders), Proctors (Junior Student Leaders), Robotics, Service Projects, Student Activities Committee, Student Council, Students for Environmental Awareness, Table Tennis Club, The Ashnoca (Student Newspaper)
Arts and Music Programs:
Chapel Choir, Chorus, Dance, Drama, Handbell Choir, SongCraft, Studio Art, The Blue and White (Yearbook), The Review (Literary Magazine)
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Asheville School is one of the nation's leading boarding schools. What sets us apart:
- Academics. Our challenging academic program - including 22 Honors courses and 16 Advanced Placement (AP) courses -- helps give our students a competitive edge. They learn to reason and communicate clearly. They attend top colleges. Most importantly, they go on to lives of leadership and service.
- Size. We're small -- about 295 dynamic, talented students in grades 9-12. Students receive support from dedicated, inspiring faculty, most of whom live right on campus.
- Values and Opportunities. From our student-run honor system to our unwritten code of respect, values matter here. And students have many opportunities for leadership and participation in competitive athletics, the arts, and outdoor adventure.
- Campus. Our stunning 300-acre campus is in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Asheville, NC, a city that mixes cosmopolitan style with southern culture. Our facilities combine gorgeous, historic buildings with 21st-century technology.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Stony Brook Grades: 7-12 | 403 students
1 Chapman Parkway
Stony Brook, NY 11790
(631)751-1800 633.4 7-12
- Sheffield Grades: 9-12 | 394 students
245 North Undermountain Road
Sheffield, MA 01257
(413)229-1003 670.1 9-12
- Gill Grades: 9-12 | 650 students
One Lamplighter Way
Gill, MA 01354
(413)498-3227 731 9-12
Test your knowledge of private school facts and trivia with these twenty-one questions and answers.
As you research schools, check the national and state associations. Is the school you are considering a member? If not, why not?
If you have a child who sings, you might want to consider a choir school. In the United States, most of these schools are day schools.