Aurora Waldorf School
5.00 (2 reviews)
Aurora Waldorf School Photo #3 - A page from a student-created main lesson book detailing the process of photosynthesis.
Aurora Waldorf School Photo #4 - In 3rd Grade classes often go apple picking as part of their Farming block.
- Aurora Waldorf (AWS) an independent school celebrating 25 years of Education that Rings True, offers a rigorous curriculum including an outstanding program of movement, arts and practical skills.
- AWS is located only minutes from East Aurora and Orchard Park on a 13-acre campus that contains large playing fields, woods, streams, playgrounds and gardens.
- AWS is the only private, coeducational and non-sectarian school in the Southtowns that offers education for children from pre-school through 8th grade.
- One of over 900 Waldorf schools in 53 countries affiliated with the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America and a NYSAIS member, AWS is located at 525 West Falls Road in the Village of West Falls.
- Students come from 14 WNY school districts. There is bus service for students in the city of Buffalo and northern suburbs.
- Distinctive, proven educational methods have made Waldorf the fastest growing independent school movement in the world.
- Students at AWS play outdoors and indoors every day with joyful, purposeful engagement through the arts and hands-on projects.
- A beautifully warm environment and a delicious lunch program cited by internationally reknown chef, Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution and awarded the Kiwi Crusaders Award for Healthy Lunches, make AWS students not only love learning, but also love school. www.aurorawaldorfschool.org.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Waldorf Schools of North America|
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||178 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 28%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||23 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1|
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Jane Ried|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Archery, Basketball, Cross Country, Gymnastics, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballArchery, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Gymnastics,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
- Whole child education: artistic, intellectual, practical and moral
- Fosters critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Developmentally appropriate curriculum
- Hands-on, experiential learning
- Cooperative learning and teamwork are encouraged
- Class teachers stay with the children through multiple grades, developing strong relationships with each child and parent
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- East Aurora Grades: PK-K | 36 students
46 Grey Street
East Aurora, NY 14052
(716)652-5092 4.7 PK-K
- Albany Grades: PK-12 | 335 students
135-140 Academy Road
Albany, NY 12208
(518)429-2300 248.3 PK-12
- Bronx Grades: PK-8 | 289 students
801 Bartholdi Street
Bronx, NY 10467
(718)944-0958 278.3 PK-8
In an age where education institutions are so incredibly focused on quantity over quality and where rampant bureaucracy reigns supreme, Waldorf is an exception. Simply put, children leave this school with the ability and desire to learn, they do not leave with a head full of "stuff" and an anxious disdain for education. The professionalism and dedication I've witnessed at this school is unrivaled. For the educators and staff at this school, it is not a job, it is a vocation and that is glaringly apparent to me on a daily basis and is reflected in the success of graduates over its 25 year existence. I have had the unique experience of being the spouse of a Waldorf teacher and now the parent of two Waldorf students. I have watched my wife's students take flight as babies in first grade to become successful, bright, funny, caring and responsible young men and women. Now, I see the benefits of this education firsthand as a parent. I couldn't imagine my children being in any other school and I appreciate every day the foundation of learning that is being constructed in their character and look forward to their success and growth. The world needs more Waldorf students, bright young, creative stewards!
- Posted by Parent - jpqui
AWS is simply the best education in the Western New York area. Freedom from standardized testing, acres of land (creek and meadow included!), incredibly dedicated and talented teachers, truly wonderful families, an amazing lunch program and a city bus (!) with a rock-solid, rigorous and incredibly challenging pedagogy that will forever change that way you look at education. Our children are thriving. Yours can too.
- Posted by Parent - scd4
As you begin to evaluate schools, keep these five basic questions in mind.
The Cristo Rey Network of schools currently comprises some 26 schools in 17 states and the District of Columbia. Truth is they are just getting started.
Teaching gifted children requires deft handling. These children need intellectual and sensory stimulation. But they also need guidance and careful nurturing so that they grow up handling their special gifts and themselves appropriately.