Bethany Christian School
Bethany Christian School Photo #2 - Bethany Christian School's mission is to partner with parents to educate, develop and nurture students for a life of Christ-centered excellence in academics, Christian character and servant-leadership.
Bethany Christian School Photo #3 - Bethany Christian School Teachers: forever impacting student lives
Since 1976, Bethany Christian School has been fulfilling its mission to meet the educational needs of preschool to 8th grade students by partnering with parents to educate, develop, and nurture students for a life of Christ-centered excellence in academics, Christian character, and servant-leadership.
- Grades: Prekindergarten-8
- Students: 216 students
- Average class size: 18 students
- Application Deadline: Apr. 30 / rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Summer School Offered
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 48%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Apr. 30 / rolling
Middle School Tuition is $8585/Year
Bethany Christian School
- Located on the campus of Bethany Church of Sierra Madre, Bethany Christian School offers a unique blending of strong academics and outstanding enrichment programs, in a caring and nurturing environment. It is our firm belief that within such an environment we can best partner with you in providing an excellent education for your student. Christ-centered excellence is at the core of all we do and we look forward to sharing with you the GIGANTIC OPPORTUNITIES that our small school provides.Our goal is to meet the educational needs of the whole child - academically, socially, and spiritually.
- -Students are encouraged to excel academically in an environment of support and accountability. Annually, BCS students average two grade levels or better above the national average on standardized tests and are regularly accepted into the most sought after college-preparatory high schools.
- -We emphasize Christian character traits and work with parents to hold students accountable for their behavior, which will enable them to mature into young men and woman who are pleasing to God and good citizens to their community.
- -We do not want to be merely a Christian school in name only, but we endeavor to put Jesus Christ at the center of all we do. A biblical world view is integrated throughout the curriculum, and our students are encouraged to know Christ as their savior and grow deeper in their Christian faith.
Profile last updated: 04/14/2021
Do you long for your child(ren) to be a part of a school and community that truly value not only education but also character? My family searched to see if a place like this existed when our daughter was to begin Kindergarten. We lived in Arcadia and everyone encouraged us to stay in public school b/c of the great Arcadia academic focus. But as parents, we wanted our daughter to do more then excel at academics. We wanted her to grow up being a woman who knew how to carry herself in the world with a great love for God and a genuine love for people. We toured many schools and spoke to lots of parents. We finally felt like we had landed "home" when we walked onto Bethany's campus. The atmosphere is sacred. It is truly a place where you feel love and excellence interwoven. Dr. Walner is a man of integrity who speaks with clarity on the vision of the school. He is approachable, caring, and honestly desires to see each student excel as the person that God created them to be. My husband and I continue to be impressed with his leadership. Melody Heal is also a woman who is passionate about the school and leads with excellence. She and Dr. Walner are so obviously invested in making Bethany a place where families can thrive.We have witnessed our daughter grow in her faith, learn skills to effectively communicate with adults and peers, navigate conflict using a peace plan, learn to express and receive forgiveness, gain confidence to express her needs and a plethora of other important skills. Bethany staff and teachers have come alongside of us in powerful ways to cultivate in her a love of God and a desire to walk with the Lord according to His Word. As parents we feel their desire to partner with us to raise our child in a God honoring way. For example, Elizabeth is always overjoyed when someone in authority catches her "being like Jesus" and gives her a CIA award (Christ in Action). This positive reinforcement of her godly behavior is shaping her to more fully comprehend the beauty of following and obeying her Savior. As a family who desires to honor God with our lives, this is an incredible blessing...albeit such a seemingly small thing.I am also impressed with the commitment to academic excellence we've experienced in her first grade class. Her teacher, Mrs. Poppleton, is passionate about cultivating a love of reading within her students. Our daughter is provided with classroom activities that make learning engaging and enjoyable. She is not simply sitting at a desk. Her homework load is appropriate for her age. I so appreciate that Bethany values family togetherness. This desire to strengthen and support the family is evident in how they intentionally give homework that is able to be done in a timeframe that allows families space to connect and be present together stress free.Another key component to Bethany is the value they place on art, language, and music. While many schools are getting rid of these important programs, Bethany thrives in these areas. My daughter loves that she is afforded space several days every week to engage her creative side and imagination.I could go on and on about this school. I would highly recommend that you come in and visit.
Love Bethany Christian. A great school with excellent leadership and staff. Not only do they provide a wonderful Christian education, but they also focus on character development. The staff really are invested in the students and there is great family involvement.
We have been at Bethany Christian School for 3 yrs now. We so appreciate the quality of our incredible Music program lead by the amazing Daniel Northrup, Speechmeets, Athletics, Art Club, Science Lab and the strong parent led involvement in our kids educational experience! We are blessed with great leadership in Dr. Walner and Melody Heal. We love our school family and the families we are raising our kids with, who share our values, morals & strong character emphasis at Bethany Christian!!
Endorse Bethany Christian School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
How Exposed Is Your School?
There's much more to running a small private school than offering great academics and teaching. Be sure to check under the hood regularly to make sure everything keeps running smoothly.
Teen Travel In Uncertain Times
Most adults find traveling more complicated and challenging that it was pre-pandemic. We offer some suggestions for safe teen travel in these uncertain times.
Using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest to Promote Your School
Social media is an effective marketing tool for your school. Here are some suggestions for using Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest.