Birchwood School of Hawken
- Our mission is to equip children to lead a life of becoming growing, thriving and flourishing through the development of intellect and character.
- Noteworthy Patriotism - 09/21/2020 - Ben Miyares and his Boy Scouts of America troop 605 packmates took on the responsibility of retiring Birchwood School of Hawken`s American flag. He described the ceremonial process saying, ...moreWhen a flag becomes worn and torn, ripped and ragged, it is disrespectful just to throw it away. A special ceremony is used to properly retire it. As a symbol of our nation, it is always to be treated with dignity and respect, even as you are burning it. hide
- Birchwood School of Hawken Alumnae named National Merit Semifinalists - 09/11/2020 - Congratulations to Jane Nilson ('17) and Shruthi Ravichandran ('17) for being among the 681 students in Ohio to earn National Merit Semifinalists designation. This honor places them in the top ...moreone percent of students in the state.In the past ten years, 29 Birchwood students have received National Merit recognition. This number represents nearly a fifth of all our graduates within that time frame. hide
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||257 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 19%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||54 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Khaki, navy, or black pants with white, forest green, or navy top)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 16 / Feb. 20 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$12,000|
|Tuition Notes||2020-2021 Full-Time Preschool: Seedlings or Sprouts 5 Days/Week 8:15 am-3:15 pm Tuition – $8,710 Registration Fee – $740*Part-Time Preschool: Seedlings 3 Days/Week 8:15 am-3:15 pm Tuition – $5,950 Registration Fee – $740* 5 Mornings/Week 8:15-11:15 am Tuition – $7,220 Registration Fee – $740*Part-Time Preschool: Sprouts 4 Days/Week 8:15 am-3:15 pm or 5 Mornings/Week 8:15-11:15 am Tuition – $7,220 Registration Fee – $740*Kindergarten Tuition – $10,500 Registration Fee – $740*Grades 1 - 3 Tuition – $14,650 Registration Fee – $1060*Grades 4 - 5 Tuition – $15,100 Registration Fee –$1,115*Grades 6 - 8 Tuition – $16,250 Registration Fee – $1,170*|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Linda Miyares|
|Admissions Associate||Cindy McNaughton|
- Birchwood School of Hawken is a preschool through eighth grade private, independent school for students of all abilities. Our focus is academic. We provide a rigorous curriculum that emphasizes habits of industry within small classrooms, offering individual attention to each student. In addition,
- Birchwood provides programs for gifted and profoundly gifted students endorsed by the Center for Talent Development at Northwestern University. Parents exploring education options for their children will want to be familiar with the five distinguishing features that make Birchwood School of Hawken unique:
- Highest Academic Standards for Primary, Elementary and Middle Schools
- At Birchwood, parents will find academic standards that are benchmarked at state, national and, where appropriate, international levels. The impact on student achievement is evident. Birchwood students consistently gain local, state, and national recognition for their academic achievements. In addition, graduates are considered some of the "best prepared" for high school in Northeast Ohio. Our school environment nurtures, supports, and honors high academic achievement. At Birchwood, it is "cool" to study hard and excel.
- Exceptional Education for Gifted Learners
- High academic standards extend to gifted students. For over 30 years Birchwood has been working with this special population to meet their cognitive, affective, and social needs. While some schools offer "gifted" programs, Birchwood relies on teaching specialists in each subject so that gifted learners may advance as far their intellect and interest allows. There are no academic ceilings, hence, we do not merely implement a gifted program, we develop talent. Such a challenging and rigorous environment simultaneously develops sturdy work habits and productive attitudes toward academics enabling gifted learners to reach their highest potential.
- Teaching & Training the Habits of Industry
- Knowing that work habits and achievement ethics are just as important to success as a strong intellect, Birchwood has developed a systematic approach to teaching and training good habits. Birchwood presents a detailed training program that compliments teaching and empowers lessons so that they become habits. This effort runs throughout grade levels and is reinforced with special classes and supplementary programs that focus specifically on the development of good habits.
- Individual Attention from Subject Specialists
- At Birchwood individual attention has unique meaning. Since classes are departmentalized beginning in the first grade, our teachers are responsible for only one subject (sometimes two in the primary grades) and they teach that subject at several grade levels. Consequently individual attention from these specialists not only meets affective needs, but their personal efforts translate into robust, content-specific, timely guidance and instruction for each student.
- A Globally Diverse Environment
- The Birchwood community is one of the most diverse in Northeast Ohio. Seventy percent of our students are children of immigrants from around the world. Each day our students live and study with Asians, Middle Easterners, Europeans, South Americans, and Americans of all races. Their daily experience enables them to connect and learn about diversity and multiculturalism, and they discover, embrace, and learn to appreciate the common threads in all humanity.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Cleveland Grades: PK-8 | 543 students
4909 Lorain Ave
Cleveland, OH 44102
(216) 939-8330 4.7 PK-8
- Cleveland Grades: NS-12 | 1115 students
5000 Clubside Rd and 12465 County Line Rd.
Cleveland, OH 44124
(440) 423-4446 16 NS-12
- Cleveland Grades: PK-8 | 310 students
4419 Pearl Road
Cleveland, OH 44109
(216) 741-3685 4.2 PK-8
My husband attended this school when it first opened. Decades later, we've decided to move from out of state so he could teach at Birchwood School and so our children could attend. I like that the student body is diverse ethnically, but the majority of students share a home culture where education is highly valued. The curriculum emphasizes character building, work habits and goal-setting. The founders of the school really care about each individual student realizing their full potential and discovering their unique gifts. The academic rigor was a bit of a shock to our first-grader, who had been used to "coasting" in his previous public school. But after a year in the Birchwood culture, he's developing work habits I never would have been able to instill in him on my own. My preschooler loves his teacher, and I can tell that she genuinely cares for each of her students. Overall, the school feels like a very tight-knit community.
- Posted by Parent - emily
We "shopped" for schools all over the Cleveland area. Birchwood stood out and we love the school more and more every day. The administration and teachers are unbelievably devoted and knowledgeable.
- Posted by Parent - joekb