Birchwood School of Hawken
Birchwood School of Hawken Photo #2 - I am grateful for my education at Birchwood not only because of its high academic quality, but also because I was motivated and encouraged to realize my potential. At Birchwood I learned the building blocks for lifelong achievement." A.B. of Cleveland Birchwood Student
Birchwood School of Hawken Photo #3 - Birchwood School's mission is to provide an educational setting where challenging academics build solid work habits, an achievement culture nurtures healthy attitudes and a caring environment forges social responsibility.
Our mission is to equip children to lead a life of becoming growing, thriving and flourishing through the development of intellect and character.
- Top Ranked OH School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-8
- Students: 257 students
- Yearly Tuition: $12,000
- Acceptance rate: 70%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 16 / Feb. 20 / rolling
- Record Number of Birchwood Students Headed to State Science Day - 08/03/2021On April 19, 2021, the results of District Science Day were announced, with a record number of Birchwood students heading to State Science Day in May.
- Record Number of Birchwood Students Headed to National History Day - 08/03/2021On April 26, 2021, the results from the state level of the National History Day competition were announced. Sixteen students and their nine projects will advance to the national level of the competition in June. The largest number of Birchwood students ever advance to the national level due to their first and second place wins.
- Birchwood Team Headed to Future Problem Solving International Competition - 08/03/2021Birchwood students participated in the virtual State Bowl of Future Problem Solving in April. Their ingenuity in tackling massive problems such as youth in competitive sports, wearable technology, human environmental impact, and personalized medicine earned them many awards and an invitation to the International Bowl for one team.
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 22%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
List of Courses Offered
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Classroom Dress Code
(Khaki, navy, or black pants with white, forest green, or navy top)
(Khaki, navy, or black pants with white, forest green, or navy top)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Jan. 16 / Feb. 20 / rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
2021-2022 Full-Time Preschool: Seedlings or Sprouts 5 Days/Week 8:15 am-3:15 pm Tuition – $8,970 Registration Fee – $760*Part-Time Preschool: Seedlings 3 Days/Week 8:15 am-3:15 pm Tuition – $6,125 Registration Fee – $760* 5 Mornings/Week 8:15-11:15 am Tuition – $7,435 Registration Fee – $760*Part-Time Preschool: Sprouts 4 Days/Week 8:15 am-3:15 pm or 5 Mornings/Week 8:15-11:15 am Tuition – $7,435 Registration Fee – $760*Kindergarten Tuition – $10,815 Registration Fee – $760*Grades 1 - 3 Tuition – $15,090 Registration Fee – $1,090*Grades 4 - 5 Tuition – $15,550 Registration Fee –$1,145*Grades 6 - 8 Tuition – $16,735 Registration Fee – $1,200*
% on Financial Aid
National avg.: 85%
- Birchwood School of Hawken is a preschool through eighth grade private, independent school for students of all abilities. Our focus is academic. We provide a rigorous curriculum that emphasizes habits of industry within small classrooms, offering individual attention to each student. In addition,
- Birchwood provides programs for gifted and profoundly gifted students endorsed by the Center for Talent Development at Northwestern University. Parents exploring education options for their children will want to be familiar with the five distinguishing features that make Birchwood School of Hawken unique:
- Highest Academic Standards for Primary, Elementary and Middle Schools
- At Birchwood, parents will find academic standards that are benchmarked at state, national and, where appropriate, international levels. The impact on student achievement is evident. Birchwood students consistently gain local, state, and national recognition for their academic achievements. In addition, graduates are considered some of the "best prepared" for high school in Northeast Ohio. Our school environment nurtures, supports, and honors high academic achievement. At Birchwood, it is "cool" to study hard and excel.
- Exceptional Education for Gifted Learners
- High academic standards extend to gifted students. For over 30 years Birchwood has been working with this special population to meet their cognitive, affective, and social needs. While some schools offer "gifted" programs, Birchwood relies on teaching specialists in each subject so that gifted learners may advance as far their intellect and interest allows. There are no academic ceilings, hence, we do not merely implement a gifted program, we develop talent. Such a challenging and rigorous environment simultaneously develops sturdy work habits and productive attitudes toward academics enabling gifted learners to reach their highest potential.
- Teaching & Training the Habits of Industry
- Knowing that work habits and achievement ethics are just as important to success as a strong intellect, Birchwood has developed a systematic approach to teaching and training good habits. Birchwood presents a detailed training program that compliments teaching and empowers lessons so that they become habits. This effort runs throughout grade levels and is reinforced with special classes and supplementary programs that focus specifically on the development of good habits.
- Individual Attention from Subject Specialists
- At Birchwood individual attention has unique meaning. Since classes are departmentalized beginning in the first grade, our teachers are responsible for only one subject (sometimes two in the primary grades) and they teach that subject at several grade levels. Consequently individual attention from these specialists not only meets affective needs, but their personal efforts translate into robust, content-specific, timely guidance and instruction for each student.
- A Globally Diverse Environment
- The Birchwood community is one of the most diverse in Northeast Ohio. Seventy percent of our students are children of immigrants from around the world. Each day our students live and study with Asians, Middle Easterners, Europeans, South Americans, and Americans of all races. Their daily experience enables them to connect and learn about diversity and multiculturalism, and they discover, embrace, and learn to appreciate the common threads in all humanity.
Profile last updated: 08/03/2021
My husband attended this school when it first opened. Decades later, we've decided to move from out of state so he could teach at Birchwood School and so our children could attend. I like that the student body is diverse ethnically, but the majority of students share a home culture where education is highly valued. The curriculum emphasizes character building, work habits and goal-setting. The founders of the school really care about each individual student realizing their full potential and discovering their unique gifts. The academic rigor was a bit of a shock to our first-grader, who had been used to "coasting" in his previous public school. But after a year in the Birchwood culture, he's developing work habits I never would have been able to instill in him on my own. My preschooler loves his teacher, and I can tell that she genuinely cares for each of her students. Overall, the school feels like a very tight-knit community.
We "shopped" for schools all over the Cleveland area. Birchwood stood out and we love the school more and more every day. The administration and teachers are unbelievably devoted and knowledgeable.
Endorse Birchwood School of Hawken. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
Books Set In Private Schools
Enjoy a range of subject matter from recollections to murder mysteries, all set in private schools here at home and abroad.
Keep Ransomware Out of Your School
Small organizations like private schools are just as vulnerable to ransomware attacks as large organizations are. Here's how to deal with ransomware in your school.
Endow A Teaching Position
Endowing a teaching position accomplishes many things for the private school that gave you the foundation for your adult life.