Brooklyn Heights Montessori School
Brooklyn Heights Montessori School is a diverse community committed to educational excellence, serving students in preschool through grade 8 In the words of Dr. Maria Montessori the goal of a Montessori education is "the development of a complete human being, oriented to the environment, and adapted to time, place, and culture." At BHMS, we use the Montessori philosophy, methods, and materials to educate students to be independent thinkers and lifelong learners in our complex 21st century world. Some key features of our Montessori classrooms are: Mixed-age Classes: Guided by their teachers, students learn from and teach each other. Students develop collaboration and leadership skills, compassion, and mastery of the material.
Three-year Cycle: Teachers gain an intimate knowledge of each student`s individual learning style and potential. A spiraling curriculum develops a deeper understanding of academic subjects.
Montessori Materials: Hands-on materials are designed to develop a student`s independence, self-confidence, and depth of knowledge through tactile experiences. Montessori materials are specifically designed for exploration and discovery of concrete concepts in order to lay a firm foundation for abstract thinking in the older grades.
Prepared Environment: Students have choice within a carefully designed environment. This creates a structure that develops critical thinking and independent problem solving skills by allowing studentstime to explore, discover, concentrate, research, and learn at their own pace. Teachers closely monitor each student`s progress, helping them make good choices that support learning and exploration of all academic subjects.
Grace and Courtesy: Students are encouraged to be thoughtful of the needs of others and engage with others in a respectful manner. Compassion is a characteristic held in high regard within our Montessori community.
Joy of Learning: Students work toward their own goals, which deepens their interest and satisfaction, rather than for external rewards. Our teachers help guide students to discovery, giving the students the deep satisfaction of those aha moments when they arrive at an answer themselves.
- School Type: Montessori School
- Grades: Prekindergarten-8
- Students: 224 students
- Yearly Tuition: $42,500
- Average class size: 10 students
- Application Deadline: Dec. 1
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 41%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
List of Courses Offered
Matriculation DataMatric. Data
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Yearly Tuition Cost
% on Financial Aid
- Brooklyn Heights Montessori School (BHMS) is a private Montessori school for students in Preschool through Eighth Grade. Our student-centered classroom environments provide a wide variety of materials and experiences appropriate to a range of intellectual, emotional, and physical developmental levels. Brooklyn Heights Montessori School prepares students with the critical thinking and problem solving skills essential for success in our rapidly changing world. Brooklyn Heights Montessori School engages students in a challenging and meaningful curriculum that inspires independence, confidence, curiosity, leadership and collaboration. At BHMS students learn reading, writing and mathematics skills while focusing on understanding the process of discovery. Our teachers provide an environment that fosters students to think for themselves, guides them to a love of learning, and encourages them to explore all possibilities. Above all, BHMS nurtures each child to encourage compassion, respect, and independence of thought.Unique Benefits of a BHMS educationMixed-age classes - Guided by the teacher, students learn from and teach each other. Students develop collaboration skills, compassion and mastery of the material.Three-year cycle - Teachers gain an intimate knowledge of each student`s individual learning style and potential. A spiraling curriculum develops a deeper understanding of academic subjects. Montessori materials Self-correcting, hands-on materials designed to develop a students independence, self-confidence, and depth of knowledge through tactile experiences.Prepared environment Students have choice within a carefully designed environment. A structure that develops independent problem solving skills by allowing students time to explore, discover, concentrate, research and learn.Preschool- 8th Grade A PS-8 education provides a safe environment for adolescents to build self-confidence and leadership skills. Their interests and learning styles are more defined and they are more committed to their high school education when they are involved in the selection process. Brooklyn Heights Montessori School is accredited by the NYSAIS and the American Montessori Society. In addition, BHMS is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools.
Endorse Brooklyn Heights Montessori School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
With so much uncertainty in the world today and a pandemic further confounding our lives, it's reasonable for parents to want to protect their children whenever and wherever possible? But overprotecting or bubble-wrapping? Well, that's another matter.
Get Your Act Together!
We take a look at the other college admissions test and offer some resources for test preparation.
Why Small Class Sizes Work
You want your child to receive plenty of individual attention. That's one of the reasons most parents send their children to private school.