Buckingham Friends School
- Founded in 1794 in the Quaker tradition, BFS is a vibrant K-8 school community.
- Valuing the traditions of our past, we prepare students for the challenges of their future.
- Students are actively engaged in their intellectual, social, emotional and physical education, learning to care for themselves, their school, community, and the world.
- Recess and recreation are important components of each day, where children can be children while mastering the skills necessary for peaceful conflict resolution and positive social collaboration.
- Inspired by Quaker spiritual tradition, BFS students are encouraged to think deeply and reflect thoughtfully, resulting in students who are known for their confidence, poise, and ability to articulate their thoughts.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Friends Council on Education (FCE)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Total Students||141 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||22 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,275|
|Tuition Notes||$750 Technology fee charged in grades 6, 7 and 8.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$7,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Melissa Clayton|
|Endowment Size||$4.5 million|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Lacrosse, Soccer, SoftballBasketball, Cross Country,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
After-School Program, Cooking Club, Russian Club, Soccer Club, Wilderness Club, Writer's Workshop, Yoga, Zumba Fitness
Arts and Music Programs:
Guitar Lessons, Piano Lessons, Voice Lessons
- Committed to our mission, to inspire a "lifelong love of learning", challenges us to reward curiosity, acknowledge the effort, and promote individual interest. We utilize our 47 beautifully wooded acres to support experiential learning, and our curriculum uses project-based learning where appropriate to develop collaborative skills and creative problem-solving. Our community of like-minded families works in partnership with school faculty and administration for a strong, positive, and supportive school environment. Won't you join us!
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bryn Mawr Grades: K-8 | 231 students
372 Highland Ln
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
(610) 525-3266 28.5 K-8
- Chalfont Grades: NS-8 | 364 students
323 W Butler Ave
Chalfont, PA 18914
(215) 822-9225 11.2 NS-8
- Chester Grades: PK-8 | 201 students
1901 Potter St
Chester, PA 19013
(610) 872-7358 37.5 PK-8
My daughter attended BFS for middle school. After touring a couple of other options nearby, BFS stood out for their welcoming and warm vibe. Our daughter attended a private school in nyc until 5th grade and wasn`t sure what to expect in bucks county. After 3 years and since graduating-the French program headed by Madame Schreiber surpassed our expectations. She also enjoyed Science with Ms. Thliveris and English with Ms. Shaw. Our daughter is currently back in nyc private school for high school-doing well and in multiple advance classes. The current head of the school was appointed during our last year but was already making major improvements. I fully endorse BFS-for their high standards, strong leadership (teachers and administration) and welcoming environment.
- Posted by Parent - NH
We have 2 children who attend this school and we are just amazed. This loving and welcoming community has become a second family to us. The teachers go above and beyond to see the Light in every child and nurture them, while giving them an AMAZING education. My children love all the specials (French, Wood shop, Art, Music, Mindfulness, PE, Library), the Big Friend/Little Friend program, the International Program (JEM)/visitors, and all the extra recess time. The children even go sledding in the winter! Can't say enough about how much we love this school!
- Posted by Parent - DS
As a current parent of a BFS student with a younger sibling planning to enter, I can't imagine sending my children anywhere else. The school teaches children as individuals and educates them to their personal best, spending time to get to know each one and their distinct personalities and capabilities. There is a freedom the students encounter on the campus where they spend a healthy portion of their days outdoors, understanding that play and physical activity is an important part of learning. The feeling of community and family is felt not only within the child's own classroom but extends to parents and administrators who truly care about each student. Academically, my child is challenged enough to maintain interest and remain curious. BFS also emphasizes building confidence in each child and supporting growth through class plays and opportunities to perform or speak in front of groups beginning in kindergarten. Every day my child is eager to go to school and comes home with a smile.
- Posted by Parent - CR
My daughter comes home beaming each day. I thought it was just the excitement of being in Kindergarten, but we are three years in and her reaction is still the same. It is truly a gift to know that her days are filled with joy while she is learning. I never waiver on the costs, her happiness, self esteem and academic growth are worth a million more dollars.
- Posted by Parent - aridg
BFS is a wonderful K-8 school that offers an amazing education set in teaching children to problem solve creatively, foster a love of learning and teach necessary life skills to prepare them for high school and beyond! A hidden gem in Bucks County! I have to admit we had our reservations about sending our kids to private school given the strength of the public school systems in our area, I can 100% say this was the best decision we ever made for our children. In the five years we have been involved in the BFS community I have seen my children flourish in the wonderful environment that has been created at Buckingham Friends School ?This school has treated my children like members of their family and we would never have anything close to this experience at a public school both socially and academically. My children love school and everything about it! Buckingham Friends School is truly a gift to offer your children, a little more time to be children, a place to learn, to think and grow as well rounded individuals.
- Posted by Parent - jaime
The people of this school do so much more than teach academics, they instill values like respect, kindness, confidence and gentleness. In short, as well as creating well educated people, this school teaches kids how to be good PEOPLE! This school was the greatest gift my parents gave me.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Lloyd