Chemung Valley Montessori School
5.00 (2 reviews)
- Founded in 1974, Chemung Valley Montessori offers a fully-certified Montessori program at the preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school levels.
- The non-profit, non-sectarian school operates five days a week, following a calendar similar to local school districts and offers curriculum-based before and after-school programs for enrolled students.
- Embracing the Montessori philosophy, and, through a dynamic partnership of child, parent and teacher, we nurture individual potential, cultivate a passion for lifelong learning, and encourage responsible participation in the classroom, the community and the world.
- In our classrooms you will find child-centered curriculum and individualized instruction; multi-age grouping; materials designed to fulfill physical and cognitive needs at each developmental level; Montessori-trained and certified faculty; hands-on learning; a connection to the environment, beginning in the classroom; opportunities for life skills; respectful, supportive community; and collaboration and cooperation.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||161 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||17 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(no dress code)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition varies with level.|
|Admissions Director||Kathryn Jakobson|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Cross Country, SwimmingCross Country, Swimming,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Band, Chorus, Community Service Projects - all levels, Instrument instruction, Jazz Band, Middle School Spanish immersion trip Band, Chorus, Jazz Band, Community Service Projects - all levels,
Middle School Spanish immersion trip,
- School Location Miles Grades Students
CorningGrades: 6-8 | 86 students
Po Box 114 291 E 1st Street
Corning, NY 14830
ElmiraGrades: PK-12 | 92 students
235 E Miller Street
Elmira, NY 14904
ElmiraGrades: NS-5 | 178 students
421 Fulton Street
Elmira, NY 14904
When we moved to the area in 2008, we enrolled our three-year old in the pre-primary program at Chemung Valley Montessori. Eight years later, we couldn't be happier with our decision. Our two younger daughters are now at the Montessori, too. With three children studying at three different levels ---- Toddler, Lower Elementary, and Upper Elementary --- I am truly in a position to say that the quality of education here far surpasses anything that is available locally. The Montessori method encourages independent learning and a love of knowledge. The curriculum is geared towards every kind of learner -- if your child excels at a particular subject, the teachers will ensure that he or she is challenged, providing additional materials and resources for their particular needs. In addition to the stellar academics, the Montessori also fosters environmental awareness, healthy living, and peace education, and provides a loving, secure, and positive environment for its learners. It has a wonderful before/after school program that is run by well-trained and friendly staff. It is no wonder that my daughters and their classmates love going to school. The Principal, along with the teachers, parents, and support staff form a wonderful tightly-knit community that has, over the years, provided our entire family with the loving support we needed being so far away from home and family. In all our time at the school, we have never had any trouble dealing with the fees/financial aspect. The school is above board in its financial dealings. If you have any concerns, they are happy to explain their policies to you. Most of the teachers and support staff have been there for many years, in some cases, for decades. They are dedicated and kind, and it is obvious that they love what they do. I absolutely recommend this school to anyone who is considering it.
- Posted by Parent - banob
We enrolled our oldest daughter at CVMS almost 9 years ago with the intentions of just sending her there for a year until she was old enough for Kindergarten. We were so pleased with the way this school does education that we are still here 9 years and three children later. Every teacher (from pre-primary through middle school) has demonstrated genuine love of children, passion for learning, and deep knowledge about the Montessori Philosophy and content. For folks who are already sold on a Montessori education, this is the place. For folks who are considering a Montessori education, visit and interact with the educators - you will see, too; this is the place!
- Posted by Parent - sluss
July 20, 2017
July 12, 2017
Here are five facts about Montessori schools to bear in mind when exploring preschools and primary schools for your child.
July 12, 2017
What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of a for profit versus a not for profit school? Is one kind of school better than the other?