Children's House Montessori School
5.00 (6 reviews)
Preschool graduates leave CHMS with a strong academic foundation in reading, writing, math, geography, science, art, music, and practical life skills.
Our preschool students are immersed in countless socialization opportunities for personal, physical and social growth.
Students learn to master grace and courtesy lessons. These skills help our children learn to listen and be respectful of others, so they can develop into well-rounded citizens.
Our Montessori Toddler environment is an amazing opportunity to begin your child's educational journey. Our toddlers enjoy their day in a peaceful and gentle Montessori environment.
Each child practices how to be safe and show grace and courtesy, while developing his/her art, music, fine and gross motor skills.
Academically, our toddlers focus to improve his/her math skills, phonics skills, and spoken language through socialization. These areas of development are the centerpiece for our Montessori environment.
Our summer camps focus to create a relaxing and fun atmosphere. Even though Montessori lessons are still incorporated into the daily schedule, children are given more freedom to discover and engage with new subject matters on their own.
- At Children's House Montessori School, our mission is to provide a high-quality education in a safe, supportive environment while honoring the individual talents of each child
- CHMS serves children from two to six years of age (Toddlers: 24 months old to 33 months old) (Preschoolers: 3 years old to 6 years old)
- Part-day or full-day programs are available for toddlers and preschoolers
- Children learn at their own pace through the five main subject areas in the Montessori curriculum: Practical Life, Sensorial, Math, Language, Geography
- In addition to the Montessori curriculum, children learn and practice lessons in science, nature studies, art, music, cooking, and grace and courtesy
- The Enrichment Program allows parents to pick up their child(ren) between 3:15 P.M. - 5:45 P.M. During this time, children enjoy periods of art, gross motor exercises, music, and storytelling activities
- During the Summer Camp Program, each classroom focuses on a central subject theme, however Montessori lessons are still incorporated into the daily schedule
- At CHMS, teachers create Maria Montessori's "prepared environment", which allows each child to cultivate a love of learning to succeed at his/her own pace
- The CHMS staff is highly-trained and the majority of teachers have taught at CHMS for at least 15 years
- CHMS is licensed by Arlington County and the Commonwealth of Virginia and is a full member of the American Montessori Society
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||American Montessori Society (AMS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-Prekindergarten|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||105 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 24%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||18 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(School uniform )
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Denise Touma|
- Please visit http://www.montessoriofarlington.com/our-programs/ to learn about our toddler, preschool and summer programs.
- Admission Steps: http://www.montessoriofarlington.com/admissions/
- Current Tuition: http://www.montessoriofarlington.com/tuition/
- Fill out our Inquiry Form and a member of our admissions team will contact you. http://www.montessoriofarlington.com/contact-us/
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Mc Lean Grades: PK-K | 236 students
1711 Kirby Road
Mc Lean, VA 22101
(703)790-1049 2 PK-K
- Falls Church Grades: 1-8 | 19 students
3527 Gallows Road
Falls Church, VA 22042
(703)573-4652 12.7 1-8
We have had all three of our children attend CHMS over an 8 year period. We really have loved our experience at CHMS for the following reasons:-Great classrooms, nicely designed, with a variety of learning tools-Great teachers who are very caring and committed to our children-Focus on outside play, despite the weather-THE FOOD - and the no-sugar requirement - no endless birthday celebrations exposing our children to excess sugar, great whole-grain meals with lots of vegetables and a variety of choices-Clear leadership from the Director of the school -Montessori environment, allowing the children to gain confidence and independence-Thoughtful and curious students, who crave the order and discipline at this school
- Posted by Parent - Colleen Y.
Broadly speaking, we have been very happy with CHMS. CHMS warm and caring staff follows a Montessori philosophy behind their curriculum which they effectively execute. Naturally, identifying the contribution from any single source to your child's development is difficult. We feel that CHMS made a meaningful impact on our children's academic and social development. Tellingly, our children always enjoy their time at CHMS and come home as happy and tired kids.
- Posted by Parent - Geof G.
Our daughter spent three years in CHMS and just graduated this June. We have been very happy with this school. It was a pure delight to watch how our daughter has developed into a confident, thoughtful and well-rounded kid. The Head of School Ms Denise is an excellent educator and keeps the school well run. The teachers are all wonderful. They genuinely care about the children and are good at motivating the kids in learning. Our daughter is more than well prepared for her kindergarten. She was admitted into almost all the private schools we applied. We will tremendously miss the school
- Posted by Parent - Vivian Y.
We have been very pleased with CHMS. Our three-year-old daughter has really enjoyed the school and has made great strides in her development. The music and art programs are simply fantastic. The Montessori school environment has really helped to increase her confidence and independence. We highly recommend CHMS to other families.
- Posted by Parent - A D.
We have had our son there now for almost three full years. I can't tell you how grateful I am of the teachers and the head of the school Ms. Denise. Ms. Amelia and all the teachers are lovely and Ms. Denise, the head of the school, does an amazing job running the school. It is not an easy task to run a school with so many kids and parents. Walking into the school after all the kids are dropped off is amazing. It is a well organized and peaceful place. My son loves the school and everyone there. He is always looking forward to go to school. Our daughter who is two years old will start very soon as well. We could not think of a better place to have our children start out their education.
- Posted by Parent - Veronica S.
I am a former employee from Children's House Montessori and I highly recommend it. I absolutely loved the 2.5 years I worked at CHMS. The emphasis on the Montessori method can be an adjustment for families who are unfamiliar, but you will find that the children thrive in the environment. The classrooms are warm and inviting. I worked closely with a majority of the educators are loved their enthusiasm and creative ideas. If you visit the school, you will notice the hallways are covered in their work assignments are decorative art works. The next thing you will notice is how quiet the school is. Other than an occasional upset child, the classrooms are fairly quiet. The children are engaged with their individual work. When I first visited CHMS for my interview, I was impressed by how quiet and thoughtful the children behaved. The daily schedule is accommodating to working families. There is early morning care and after school care available. Primarily, I worked in the after school care program. Every day, we offered a variety of activities such as: dance, art, music, structured play and games. Every week, each student would bring home a pile of art work from their activities. The after school program at CHMS is unique from others because the teacher to student ratios surpass the minimum requirement. there are lots of opportunities for small group activities and projects and the children have a chance to relax and become comfortable with the staff, their friends and their environment. I really enjoyed the fun, engaging program. I cannot praise CHMS without giving credit to the Director, Denise. She is considerate and professional. At the beginning of every school year, she and her husband coordinate a huge school cookout at a local park. It is the first time of the year to connect with the families and staff. Every year, there is too much food and lots of fun! If staff or parents have a question or concern, Denise is only an email away. She always was available to schedule a quick meeting. I never felt left in the dark because there was such an understanding of open communication. Denise's efforts make CHMS a home away from home for the children and I know the parents appreciate it. I must add, I left CHMS because I relocated out of state. CHMS is like a little family and I would gladly return if I move back to Virginia.
- Posted by Teacher - afsha
Nearby Homes for Sale
August 14, 2018
We take a detailed look at the three popular early childhood methods to help you determine which one best suits your needs and requirements.
August 14, 2018
Your religion matters to you. You want your child to attend a school which will combine academics and religious education. Here is an overview of what is available together with some links to denominational web sites.
July 24, 2018
We identify changes in The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 which impact not-for-profit private schools.