French Immersion School Of Washington
5.00 (2 reviews)
- The French Immersion School of Washington provides an excellent bilingual education in a welcoming environment that encourages critical thinking and curiosity.
- We believe that children who develop their intellect and character in a bilingual, bi-cultural environment learn respect and appreciation for cultural differences and are better prepared for their future in a multicultural workforce and global environment.
- FISW's curriculum, taught by outstanding, certified teachers in a traditional and structured environment, combines the greatest strengths of both the French National Education and Washington State curricula.
- At FISW, we value our vibrant and diverse community.
- As connections are formed among students, teachers, parents and staff, lifelong friendships are made.
- You will find that our entire community embraces our mission, creating a truly welcoming environment.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-5|
|Total Students||159 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 27%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||23 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Mar. 17 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$15,400|
|Tuition Notes||Cost above reflects elementary tuition. Preschool tuition is as follows: $15100 full time, $ 9900 5 Mornings, $6200 3 Mornings. Sibling discount available.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$5,200|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Erin Brust|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess, Computer Game Programming, French Cooking, French Homework Help, Lego Robotics, Tutoring
Arts and Music Programs:
Art, Ballet, Sewing, Theater
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- FISW is a preschool (age 2.5, fully potty-trained) through 5th grade bilingual, immersion school in Bellevue. Our curriculum is designed to cultivate students` openness to the world and challenge them in a nurturing environment that encourages risk-taking.
- Taught in French 70% of the day, students learn to take the "traditional skills" that every school teaches and use them to address new situations, to solve problems, to collaborate with others. Using these skills in real-life situations helps students think critically, take initiative and use their imagination.
- Why bilingual Studies show that children who learn a second language early in life have enhanced cognitive development. Bilingual students not only speak two languages fluently, but they have excellent mastery of their native language, often surpassing their monolingual peers. Regular use of two languages enhances a student`s ability in the areas of abstraction, symbolism, mathematics and problem solving.
- We would love to have you visit and find out more. Email email@example.com to schedule a visit to our school.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- RedmondGrades: PK-6 | 317 students
7655 178th Place Ne
Redmond, WA 98052
- RedmondGrades: NS-PK | 56 students
9041 166th Ave NE
Redmond, WA 98052
- BellevueGrades: 5-12 | 50 students
5027 159th Place Se
Bellevue, WA 98006
- BellevueGrades: NS-8 | 296 students
2701 Bellevue-Redmond Rd
Bellevue, WA 98008
- RentonGrades: PK-8 | 121 students
15828 SE Jones Road
Renton, WA 98058
It has been such a privilege to be part of the FISW community. Our children started at the school just before they turned 3 and we had no idea of the breadth of advantages it would give them. We were initially attracted by the European/French education both the content and the language. Of course, they now speak French, but more than that they have an innate understanding of the language that enables them to develop their language further whenever they spend time with other French speakers. The education they received at FISW is so broad, not just ticking boxes for the curriculum, but delving deeper into topics that excite the children and making connections between the approaches and content in the WA state curriculum and the French curriculum. Over the past few years in particular, the French and English teachers have spent a lot of time working together to ensure that the two curriculums and languages are integrated. This really does give the children a deeper understanding of both the technical side and the content. My children are lucky to be developing their understanding of the world from so many perspectives. The progression in developing each child over their time at the school is impressive and it makes me so happy to see this continue beyond FISW FISW students take responsibility for their own education, pride in their work and want to be successful. My son was ready and excited for the transition to 6th grade, going with a core group of friends from FISW into the bigger world of middle school. He is comfortable in himself, confident in his new environment, and of course loves to return to FISW for after school conversation classes to continue developing his language and connecting with great friends and teachers. In addition, the French Bilingual Association`s before-school program from 6th grade is tailored to graduates of FISW, enabling our son to continue the development of his French language and education we couldn`t ask for more!
- Posted by Parent - EL
Sending my kids to the French Immersion School of Washington is one of the best choices I have ever made for them. I have four children, all very different from each other in their learning styles and personalities, and each of them has excelled in both languages and they all absolutely love going to school each day. Every decision the school makes is about what is best for the children. The majority of my kids have class sizes of 13-14 kids in each class annually. The French teachers are hired from France and we have never had a teacher that is anything less than amazing and devoted. The teachers LOVE their jobs and the kids in their classes, which makes the learning environment positive.From age 2 1/2, it is absolutely a great learning environment. Kids are taught things like independence and respect and accountability from the very beginning. By being accredited by the French government, WA state, Independent Schools, etc. their academic curriculum is well beyond anything I have ever seen, and yet... the kids love to learn because the school is focused on that love for learning.As part of the school program, the kids have things like swimming lessons, field trips and even a trip to France in 5th grade! All of my kids literally beg me to stay for the after-school program activities each day. What kids ask for more school after being at school all day?? Only at FISW....
- Posted by Parent - Jen
Nearby Homes for Sale
January 16, 2018
Part of the private school selection process is financial aid. We point out five issues about which you should be aware.
January 16, 2018
We look at why tuition costs vary so widely from school to school.
January 08, 2018
Changes to the Tax Code in late 2017 included the addition of saving for K-12 private school education to 529 plans. We take a look at what this means for families thinking about private school for their children.