- Glenwood Academy empowers ADHD students with language-based learning disabilities: such as, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, dyslexia, and language processing difficulties through a multi-sensory, developmental, language-intensive curriculum.
- ALL of our students discover his or her individual potential for greatness!.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other associations(s) for exceptional children
Children and Adults with Attention Deficit or Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD)
Orton Gillingham Academy of Practioners and Educators
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-10|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||ADHD, Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, and other Language-based learning difference; mild learning differences|
|Total Students||55 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 33%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||7 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,000|
|Tuition Notes||Glenwood Academy offers a limited number of annual needs-based scholarships for its school year program and makes every effort to ensure that the education provided is available to as many children as possible.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$8,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Cheryl Stradling|
- Glenwood Academy empowers ADHD students with language-based learning disabilities: such as, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, dyslexia, and language processing difficulties through a multi-sensory, developmental, language-intensive curriculum. Private specialists integrate the skills taught within the classroom setting. They work as a team with the classroom teachers to provide the best language intensive education possible! Our Project-focused curriculum integrates academic rigor with cutting-edge technologies. We can only accomplish this by limiting our class size to 10. ALL of our students discover his or her individual potential for greatness!
- The Glenwood Difference:
- "Active Learning" enhances the abilities for ADHD students. They learn by doing in a class size of only 10.
- Staff utilizes a researched-based multisensory curriculum. Faculty must be trained in Orton-Gillingham Plus Reading Approach by Fran Bowman;Visualizing and Verbalizing by Nancy Bell; and The Language Circle/Project Read Written Expression curriculum called "Framing Your Thoughts".
- Curriculum that integrates academics with cutting edge technology.
- No Homework--. assignments are completed during afterschool "study hall" guided by teachers.
- Private specialist`s (Reading, Speech/Lang, O.T.) work in tandem with classroom teachers to provide the best language intensive education possible.
- Six Pillars of Character are a part of our school`s framework Trustworthiness, Respect, Responsibility, Fairness, Caring and Citizenship.
- Daily before-class, exercise-.. helps control the impulsivity and the need for immediate gratification. It wakes up the executive function, which in turn allows for better choices, and more time to evaluate consequences.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
IjamsvilleGrades: K-12 | 88 students
3232 Green Valley Road
Ijamsville, MD 21754
Mount AiryGrades: 7-11 | 6 students
17455 Old Frederick Rd
Mount Airy, MD 21771
MiddletownGrades: PK-8 | 56 students
103 Prospect Street
Middletown, MD 21769
Windsor MillGrades: NS-12 | 217 students
3030 N Rolling Road
Windsor Mill, MD 21244
FrederickGrades: K-8 | 121 students
6040 New Design Road
Frederick, MD 21703
My son is so much happier to be attending Glenwood than when he was at public school. He is now in a small class with teachers who understand that he learns differently - they don't try to force him to fit into the standard teaching mold but customize assignments to help him be successful. Thank You Glenwood!
- Posted by Parent - dmsst
My son loves the way he is taught at Glenwood Academy. The multi-sensory approach has made all the difference in my son's math and reading grades. He is at grade level in both subjects and he was a whole year behind when he started at Glenwood 14 months ago. The small classes and having teachers and specialists that are trained to work with children that have learning differences makes all the difference in the world.
- Posted by Parent - Jrdam
I am very pleased with my son's progress at Glenwood Academy. He is on the Autism Spectrum, but is high-functioning. Public school was just not working out for him because his preferred style of learning did not mesh with the "one size fits all" philosophy embraced by the public schools. The individualized approach to teaching and the use of technology have been tremendously beneficial and he is thriving and growing. Socially, he has found an environment of caring and friendly children who support each other, like each other and are respectful of each child’s differences. We are grateful to Glenwood and appreciate the wonderful work and commitment by the teachers to make it a safe and positive teaching environment.
- Posted by Parent - samco
My son is thriving at Glenwood Academy. We always knew he needed smaller classes and more personal attention than he would recieve in public school, so he has always been in private school. They all promised small class size and one on one attention, but it was not until Glenwood Academy did it really happen. Glenwood Academy is the only school that fufilled it's promise to find how my child needed to learn and then taught him. The only regret we have is that we did not find Glenwood Academy sooner.
- Posted by Parent - Jrdam
My daughter attended Glenwood Academy for 6 years. If not for this school I am certain her learning experiences would have been a less than positive experience. Thanks to a well trained and exceptional team we had an early diagnosis of her dyslexia and ADD, and a plan of action to help her move forward using muti-sensory teaching with the Orten-Gillingham approach for reading. The small class size and individualized learning gave her the room to learn, grow and build confidence in her own abilities, equipping her with the tools she needed to meet the different types of challenges she will continue to face throughout life. I am forever grateful to Glenwood Academy for providing such a wonderful environment for students with learning differences.
- Posted by Parent - ecros
This is our second year at Glenwood and we couldn't be more pleased. Our son has ADHD and dyslexia. He was falling behind in public school and in spite of an I.E.P., they had no answers. We found an answer in Glenwood. Their nurturing and individualized approach to teaching is getting results. Our child's confidence and desire to learn grows by the day. The Glenwood approach works. We couldn't be happier.
- Posted by Parent - Esoul
This past year at Glenwood has been so beneficial for my daughter. As a result of the teaching ability of Ms. S. and the loving support of the staff and teachers, my daughter has the confidence and skill to independently tackle the demands of school work. Her organizational skills have improved and she is much happier. Best wishes to the Glenwood staff and teachers as you continue to bring immeasurable success to the lives of your students.
- Posted by Parent - dmsst
Our family is all so thankful for Glenwood Academy. After school was full of fighting, frustration and crying. The homework my child had every night was a drain on our family, he was unable to finish his work in school so that was also sent home to do on top of all the other work. But now we are at Glenwood and they have teacher guided study hall and our child does not realize he is doing homework because it is fun and interesting and if he has questions the teacher is right there to answer them.
- Posted by Parent - Jrdam
My son has been going to Glenwood for six years. He has dyslexia and ADHD and this school is a perfect fit. They provide an individual learning plan for him that is challenging, yet attainable. His classmates are supportive and everybody wants the kids to excel. The teachers have special training with language-based learning differences and really care about the kids. I would highly recommend the Academy.
- Posted by Parent - jmpap