5.00 (7 reviews)
Tel: (410) 489-6959
Glenwood Academy Photo #2 - Service work and giving back to our community is a valuable lesson we not only learn about but put into practice at Glenwood Academy.
Glenwood Academy Photo #3 - Multi-sensory learning in small group settings is a great way to ensure our students thrive.
- Glenwood Academy empowers ADHD students with language-based learning disabilities: such as, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, dyslexia, and language processing difficulties through a multi-sensory, developmental, language-intensive curriculum.
- ALL of our students discover his or her individual potential for greatness!.
Glenwood Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Maryland for:
- Category Attribute
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other associations(s) for exceptional children|
Children and Adults with Attention Deficit or Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD)
Orton Gillingham Academy of Practioners and Educators
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||ADHD, Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, and other Language-based learning difference; mild learning differences|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||61 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$24,000|
|Tuition Notes||Glenwood Academy offers a limited number of annual needs-based scholarships for its school year program and makes every effort to ensure that the education provided is available to as many children as possible.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$8,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Erin Soulen|
|Admissions Associate||Brittany Black|
- Glenwood Academy empowers ADHD students with language-based learning disabilities: such as, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, dyslexia, and language processing difficulties through a multi-sensory, developmental, language-intensive curriculum. Private specialists integrate the skills taught within the classroom setting. They work as a team with the classroom teachers to provide the best language intensive education possible! Our Project-focused curriculum integrates academic rigor with cutting-edge technologies. We can only accomplish this by limiting our class size to 10. ALL of our students discover his or her individual potential for greatness!
- The Glenwood Difference:
- "Active Learning" enhances the abilities for ADHD students. They learn by doing in a class size of only 10.
- Staff utilizes a researched-based multisensory curriculum. Faculty must be trained in Orton-Gillingham Plus Reading Approach by Fran Bowman;Visualizing and Verbalizing by Nancy Bell; and The Language Circle/Project Read Written Expression curriculum called "Framing Your Thoughts".
- Curriculum that integrates academics with cutting edge technology.
- No Homework--. assignments are completed during afterschool "study hall" guided by teachers.
- Private specialist`s (Reading, Speech/Lang, O.T.) work in tandem with classroom teachers to provide the best language intensive education possible.
- Six Pillars of Character are a part of our school`s framework Trustworthiness, Respect, Responsibility, Fairness, Caring and Citizenship.
- Daily before-class, exercise-.. helps control the impulsivity and the need for immediate gratification. It wakes up the executive function, which in turn allows for better choices, and more time to evaluate consequences.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Mount Airy Grades: 6-12 | 18 students
17455 Old Frederick Rd
Mount Airy, MD 21771
(301) 829-4730 2.6 6-12
- Mount Airy Grades: PK-12 | 301 students
16700 Old Frederick Road
Mount Airy, MD 21771
(410) 489-4321 1 PK-12
- Buckeystown Grades: 9-12 | 290 students
3989 Buckeystown Pike
Buckeystown, MD 21717
(301) 662-4210 20.9 9-12
My son struggled with his ADHD in public school, Glenwood is understanding and has worked with us when we encounter difficulties. The kids there are wonderful and the environment is one of understanding. My son has found great friends here. We have been part of Glenwood for 3 years and look forward to many more great years. I would highly recommend Glenwood Academy for anyone who isn't happy with how public school is handling their child's education. I also love that homework is done after school with the teachers. No more fights at home over doing homework!
- Posted by Parent - jib
My son is so much happier to be attending Glenwood than when he was at public school. He is now in a small class with teachers who understand that he learns differently - they don't try to force him to fit into the standard teaching mold but customize assignments to help him be successful. Thank You Glenwood!
- Posted by Parent - dmsst
My son is thriving at Glenwood Academy. We always knew he needed smaller classes and more personal attention than he would recieve in public school, so he has always been in private school. They all promised small class size and one on one attention, but it was not until Glenwood Academy did it really happen. Glenwood Academy is the only school that fufilled it's promise to find how my child needed to learn and then taught him. The only regret we have is that we did not find Glenwood Academy sooner.
- Posted by Parent - Jrdam
I am very pleased with my son's progress at Glenwood Academy. He is on the Autism Spectrum, but is high-functioning. Public school was just not working out for him because his preferred style of learning did not mesh with the "one size fits all" philosophy embraced by the public schools. The individualized approach to teaching and the use of technology have been tremendously beneficial and he is thriving and growing. Socially, he has found an environment of caring and friendly children who support each other, like each other and are respectful of each child’s differences. We are grateful to Glenwood and appreciate the wonderful work and commitment by the teachers to make it a safe and positive teaching environment.
- Posted by Parent - samco
My daughter attended Glenwood Academy for 6 years. If not for this school I am certain her learning experiences would have been a less than positive experience. Thanks to a well trained and exceptional team we had an early diagnosis of her dyslexia and ADD, and a plan of action to help her move forward using muti-sensory teaching with the Orten-Gillingham approach for reading. The small class size and individualized learning gave her the room to learn, grow and build confidence in her own abilities, equipping her with the tools she needed to meet the different types of challenges she will continue to face throughout life. I am forever grateful to Glenwood Academy for providing such a wonderful environment for students with learning differences.
- Posted by Parent - ecros
This is our second year at Glenwood and we couldn't be more pleased. Our son has ADHD and dyslexia. He was falling behind in public school and in spite of an I.E.P., they had no answers. We found an answer in Glenwood. Their nurturing and individualized approach to teaching is getting results. Our child's confidence and desire to learn grows by the day. The Glenwood approach works. We couldn't be happier.
- Posted by Parent - Esoul
My son has been going to Glenwood for six years. He has dyslexia and ADHD and this school is a perfect fit. They provide an individual learning plan for him that is challenging, yet attainable. His classmates are supportive and everybody wants the kids to excel. The teachers have special training with language-based learning differences and really care about the kids. I would highly recommend the Academy.
- Posted by Parent - jmpap
You will encounter COOP, HSPT and TACHS if you are applying to some Roman Catholic high schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.