Holden High School
Holden High School Photo #4 - All academics are taught with a focus on statewide standards and offer content that is accessible and challenging for all students.
- We help teens feel good about school and unlock their potential. Young people who struggle in mainstream school settings say Holden is the school they actually want to attend. Incredible transformations happen here. For over 50 years, Holden has been a safe haven for non-traditional learners.
- Holden provides an innovative, alternative, vibrant, non traditional approach to education.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||We have a credentialed Education Specialists on staff: Dyslexia, Language based learning differences, Mild to Moderate learning differences, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, Nonverbal learning disability|
|Total Students||34 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||8 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||6 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$31,760|
|Tuition Notes||Generous financial aid available. See http://holdenhigh.org/admissions/tuition/tuition-reduction/ for more information.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$7,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Kristin Lamoureux|
|Admissions Associate||Jennifer Polse Payne|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sport|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||5 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Community Service, Grade Level Interest Projects, GSA, Student Council
Arts and Music Programs:
Independent Art and Music Credit
- Holden High School is deeply rooted in the alternative education movement. Holden provides a student-centered educational experience that embraces diversity.
- Holden empowers a broad range of learners in a collaborative and creative environment. Many of our students have mild to moderate learning differences, have struggled in mainstream school settings, or have experienced trauma.
- Holden is a great fit for students who:
- - Desire a safe environment because they have been bullied or have not found acceptance.
- - Want to pursue learning both in and out of school.
- - Yearn for a tailor-made learning environment.
- Holden is fully accredited by the Schools Commission of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). Many of our students attend colleges across the country.
- Enrollment is open throughout the school year. Please call 925-254-0199 or visit us online to arrange a visit.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Oakland Grades: 9-12 | 67 students
521 Boden Way
Oakland, CA 94610
(510)268-1500 6.2 9-12
- Oakland Grades: 9-12 | 364 students
Oakland, CA 94618
(510)652-4364 3.7 9-12
- San Francisco Grades: 4-12 | 197 students
838 Kearny Street
San Francisco, CA 94108
(415)922-6081 15 4-12
Most private schools have endowment funds. We explain how these work and why schools are fortunate to have them in tough times.
COVID-19 has turned education at every level upside-down, inside-out. We offer some steps to guide your planning for academic year 2020-21.
Teachers and parents are concerned about the teaching that will take place post-pandemic. I have tried to cover their concerns in the following set of questions and answers.