5.00 (5 reviews)
- Key School engages children from 2.5 years of age through grade 12 in a progressive, coeducational, college-preparatory program on its picturesque 15-acre campus, located 4 miles from downtown Annapolis. Key is renowned for its rigorous academic program which emphasizes inquiry-based learning, interdisciplinary studies and a global perspective while building the habits of grit, tenacity and resourcefulness.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||650 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||113 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Number of AP Courses||11 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Advanced Biology,Advanced Biology, Advanced Calculus (AB and BC), Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Latin (Vergil), Advanced Spanish Literature, American History, English Literature and Composition, French, Physics, Statistics, Studio Art,|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Key does not subscribe to a formal dress code. Students are expected to make decisions that are consistent with the School values of respect, civility and responsibility and achieve a balance between individual choices and the needs of the community.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 17|
|Tuition Notes||$8,295 to $17,960 - Key-Wee through Pre-K; $18,220 Kindergarten; $24,280 grades 1-4; $26,870 grades 5-8; $28,350 grades 9-12|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$10,400|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Tom Rossini|
|Endowment Size||$13.5 million|
|Total Sports Offered||15 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Golf, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Equestrian, Field Hockey,
Golf, Indoor Soccer,
Tennis, Track and Field,
- Key School's greatest strengths are its students, its faculty, and its program. Key students are curious, lively, articulate, and self-confident. Key teachers are noted for their experience, their intellectual vitality, and their concern for students. The program includes courses, materials, and experiences intended to instruct, stimulate, challenge, and engender a delight in learning while developing a sustaining degree of intellectual curiosity. The School emphasizes the learning process, promotes individuality, and encourages the expression of ideas and points of view in both academic and non-academic areas. The general tone of the campus is egalitarian, informal, academically focused, creative and caring. The Key School is founded upon the conviction that children are innately curious about themselves and the world; they want to learn, they want to discover, and they want to create. The School's role is to nourish and guide this natural exuberance, energy, and delight in the search for meaning, so that each student may develop into an informed, thoughtful and constructive member of society, with a lifelong commitment to learning.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Severna Park Grades: NS-12 | 844 students
201 Water St
Severna Park, MD 21146
(410)647-7700 10 NS-12
- Annapolis Grades: 9-12 | 497 students
113 Duke Of Gloucester St
Annapolis, MD 21401
(410)263-3294 3.1 9-12
Great, unique experience that helped shape who I am today.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Hannah Webster
I loved my time at the school, the teachers are great and friendly, the community is close knit and nice and the campus is beautiful
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Henry M
The Key School is a unique institution that not only prepares students for the rigors of college, but also equips them with skills and values to become successful and thoughtful members of society.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Megan
Great experience there - close-knitted community, nice teachers, and amazing trips.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - lljz
The Key School provides an excellent education for my children. The Middle School has teachers who care and promote self-advocacy for the students. The school is a "community", where students feel safe, can express themselves, and become independent thinkers. I would highly recommend the school if you are looking for a place where your children will grow academically, culturally, and morally.
- Posted by Parent - Dlewi
The Department of Homeland Security recently announced that it would enforce a 2017 policy of requiring visa applicants to list their social media handles. More about this and how it impacts international students wishing to attend American K-12 private schools.
We parents are responsible for expanding our children's horizons. We are responsible for showing and explaining things, concepts, and places they have never thought of. This article contains my roadmap for enriching your child's education.
This hub page lists over three dozen articles dealing with issues in high school such as academics and discipline.