La Lumiere School
Tel: (219) 326-7450
La Lumiere School Photo #2 - La Lumiere has a state of the art Math and Science Center that boasts 22 Science courses and 18 Math courses including: AP Physics I and II, AP Calculus AB and BC, AP Environmental Science, AP Statistics, and advanced courses in Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry, Marine Biology, and Oceanography.
La Lumiere School Photo #3 - We believe that character is best formed in a community founded on authentic relationships and trust. We structure experiences that encourage students to develop the agency, grit, and self-discipline to take ownership of their lives and the empathy, integrity, and courage to advocate for others.
La Lumiere School Photo #4 - As a community of learners, we engage in civil discourse, listen charitably, work to be responsibly informed, and encounter the world with genuine interest. Our faculty guides students as they hone academic skills and habits of mind. Beyond content mastery, our scholars develop a sense of wonder and an appetite for lifelong learning.
La Lumiere School Photo #5 - With a student-teacher ratio of 6 to 1, La Lumiere students enjoy a level of personalized attention that simply does not exists at larger schools. Since 80% of our faculty live on campus, they are not only your teachers, but your coaches, dorm parents, advisors and study hall proctors.
La Lumiere School Photo #6 - Earnest exploration of faith is an integral part of education. We strive to practice and live out our own faith lives, even as we explore our beliefs. No matter what their religion, each member of our school family belongs. Together, we seek spiritual understanding through the pursuit of an active and authentic spiritual life centered on reflection, self-awareness, and hope.
La Lumiere School Photo #7 - The arts are alive at La Lumiere School. Our performing arts and fine arts curricula allow for the discovery of new creative talents and a more focused platform for the serious art student. Coursework and activities include painting, drawing, sculpture, studio techniques, art history, photography, videography, jazz band, concert choir, and music theory.
La Lumiere School Photo #8 - Whether in the classroom, on the playing field, or in the community, students' days are filled with activities that are designed to structure their time, helping them make the most of their high school experience. La Lumiere offers elective classes, activities, and community service opportunities that play an important role in each student's day-to-day life at the school.
La Lumiere School Photo #9 - La Lumiere offers 15 varsity sports across a variety of programs including soccer, golf, tennis, basketball, baseball, volleyball, crew, lacrosse, and cross country. Because of our small size, all students have the opportunity to participate in athletics if they choose. Our students are competitive both in the classroom and on the fields and courts.
- La Lumiere is a boarding and day school for grades 9-12, located an hour outside of Chicago in La Porte, Indiana.
- Our close-knit community is a rich mosaic of exceptional students, all with the common goal of becoming the best version of themselves.
- At La Lumiere, we meet our students exactly where they are in order to provide them with the specific tools and opportunities they need to grow as individuals.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS)
Lake Michigan Association of Independent Schools (LMAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost Notes||Please contact us about summer opportunities at La Lumiere School.|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||183 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 19%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||27 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Number of AP Courses||15 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Comparative Government, English Literature and Composition, Environmental Science, French Language and Culture, Music Theory, Physics I, Physics II, Psychology, Spanish Language and Culture, Statistics, US Government, US History, World History|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$48,925|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition for 2019-2020 School Year: Day Student: $17,485 Domestic Boarding Student: $48,925 International Boarding Student: $61,335|
|Admissions Director||Megan Stiphany|
|Admissions Associate||Mary Pickens|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Crew, Cross Country,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||13 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Academic Decathlon, Academic Super Bowl, Community Service, Guitar Club, Jewish Club, Science Olympiad
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Portfolio Club, Choir, Drama Club, Jazz Band and Chorus, Photography Club and Class, String Ensemble
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- At La Lumiere, we pride ourselves on meeting each student where they are and providing them with the tools they need to accomplish meaningful success.
- With a student-teacher ratio of 6:1, robust academics, a fully staffed student support center, and superb college placement, La Lumiere students, who come from diverse states and countreis, enjoy a level of personalized attention that simply does not exist at larger schools.
- Our campus is located just 10 miles from the beautiful shores of Lake Michigan and 60 minutes from downtown Chicago, and neighbors charming beach and countryside communities in both Indiana and Michigan. Boarding students are able to take advantage of this locale via frequent weekend trips to the beaches, towns, and orchards nearby, and are also able to take day trips to Chicago.
- To learn more about La Lumiere School, please fill out our online inquiry form or call us at (219) 326-7450 to set up an appointment and tour our beautiful 190-acre wooded campus.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Montverde Grades: NS-12 | 1164 students
17235 7th Street
Montverde, FL 34756
(407) 469-2561 943 NS-12
- Columbus Grades: PK-12 | 221 students
3170 Indiana Ave
Columbus, IN 47201
(812) 372-3780 172.5 PK-12
- Indianapolis Grades: 9-12 | 1074 students
5225 E 56th St
Indianapolis, IN 46226
(317) 542-1481 126 9-12
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?