- Montessori Genesis II School was founded in 1976 by sixteen working class families.
- It is a family oriented independent private school. MGII is located near many of Philadelphia's premier educational and cultural institutions (e.g. Durham Free Library, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia Museum of Art, Zoo).
- Its primary class (pre-k and kindergarten) is a Montessori classroom.
- The elementary classes (1st/2nd and 3rd/4th) are influenced by the Montessori philosophy and method and use the best of educational pedagogy to prepare and launch outstanding young people.
- When students graduate from 4th grade they test into Philadelphia's magnet schools (e.g. Masterman) and private schools (Shipley, Agnes Irwin, Friends' Central, etc.) The school's mission is to offer high quality education at an affordable cost.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-4|
|Total Students||40 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||4 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
Finances and Admission
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$2,990|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||African Percussion Music, African Dance, Chess, Karate African Dance, Chess, Karate, African Percussion Music,
- MGII offers afterschool and summer programs. Afterschool includes homework help, music, karate, chess, and movies. The summer program offers these classes, as well as, academic enrichment, swimming, fieldtrips, arts and crafts, and a wide variety of activities related to the annual summer program theme. Children have a relaxed and fun place to spend these hours. Their parents have peace of mind knowing that their children are in a safe and enriched environment. As an urban school, MGII can take advantage of the resources of the city through fieldtrips, classes, overnight adventures and so much more.
Profile last updated: 06/05/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
PhiladelphiaGrades: NS-K | 128 students
2121 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
PhiladelphiaGrades: PK-12 | 947 students
3000 W School House Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19144
PhiladelphiaGrades: K-8 | 88 students
6525 Germantown Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19119
PhiladelphiaGrades: 1-12 | 311 students
2101 S College Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19121
PhiladelphiaGrades: K-12 | 57 students
5447 Chester Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19143
May 15, 2017
Many famous children have attended private schools. Here is a sampling of schools and the famous folk who graced their hallowed halls.
May 11, 2017
As you narrow the field in your private school search process, you will develop a short list of three to five schools which you will evaluate in detail. Visiting each school is an essential part of your due diligence.
May 11, 2017
Learn more about the Private School Review "Ultimate Admissions Checklist," with top-flight tips from leading minds in education.