Nichols School aim is to train minds, bodies and hearts for the work of life, and to carry into all we do the highest ideals of character and service.
At Nichols School, inspired teachers and students are committed to a quality standard of learning and achievement in all aspects of school life.
Our community strives to cultivate each student's sense of responsibility, compassion, honesty, and self-discipline.
Our goal is to produce confident and ethical young people equipped for the challenges of life.
We embrace and value our school's history and heritage. We also recognize the importance of adaptation and innovation as a means of preparing our students for the future.
We strive to create a community that reflects our region's neighborhoods and the wider world.
In this environment, our students develop habits of tolerance, understanding, and mutual respect.
- Top Ranked NY School
- Grades: 5-12
- Students: 575 students
- Yearly Tuition: $19,725
- Average class size: 14 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 11 / rolling
School Membership(s)School Assoc.
Learning Difference Programs
Student Body Type
% Students of Color
State avg.: 41%
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
% Faculty w/Advanced Degree
Average Class Size
Number of AP Courses
Classroom Dress Code
Finances and Admission
Jan. 11 / rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Grades 5-8: $19,725 Grade 9: $20,775 Grades 10-12: $21,175
% on Financial Aid
Total Sports Offered
- Nichols School is a nationally recognized coed college preparatory school for grades 5-12. Founded in 1892, Nichols is located in Buffalo, N.Y., and non-denominational, with 582 students from across Western New York and Southern Ontario, as well as several international students. The dedicated faculty is focused on preparing students to thrive in the global community of the 21st century.
- With an average class size of 14 students, world-class teachers foster each student`s talents beyond the limitations of standardized testing. Nichols develops students` intellectual and extra-curricular passions, and provides access to challenging academic programs, and exceptional athletic, art and international exchange programs. Through leadership opportunities and community service projects, students develop strong work ethic, integrity, character and personal responsibility.
- Nichols` beautiful campus holds many interactive learning spaces, including a sustainable math and science center, new visual art rooms and unparalleled athletics facilities. International exchange programs in China, Costa Rica, France and Spain create lifelong connections and deepen students` experiences in the classroom. Meaningful service projects strengthen students` understanding of the local community, and further cultivate character and leadership skills.
- Nichols is accredited by the New York State Association of Independent Schools.
Endorse Nichols School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards
5 Reasons Why You Might Change Schools
Here are five reasons why you might want to change schools.
2020-21 Best SSAT Prep Courses Reviewed
The SSAT’s questions are different than questions on other standardized tests. Make sure you learn about the best SSAT test prep programs out there.
What A Teacher Does
A teacher wears many hats. Here's a look at her duties and responsibilities.