Northwest Yeshiva High School
- Northwest Yeshiva High School (NYHS) is the Pacific Northwest's only college preparatory, dual curriculum, co-ed high Jewish high school.
- Our students have opportunities for advanced academic courses as well as specialized instruction for those with special learning needs.
- We seek to inspire students with a blend of academic excellence, Jewish depth, and intellectual curiosity.
- NYHS is also a STEM high school. Freshmen can opt for a full STEM, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math
- Students at NYHS place into top colleges and universities around the US and the world.
- Most recently, the Classes of 2013, 2014, 2015 , 2016 and 2017 were admitted to : New York University, Tulane, University of Pennsylvania, Brandeis, Northwestern University, University of Michigan, Washington University in St. Louis, George Washington University, Sarah Lawrence, Stern College, Yeshiva University, USC, University of Miami, UCLA and more. Over the past 3 years, nearly all students who applied to the University of Washington were admitted.
- Four were admitted into the honors program. Students spend the day in rigorous and inspiring academic studies.
- Our Judaic Studies curriculum helps prepare our students to confidently study Torah and classic texts.
- Our goal is to inspire love of Judaism, Torah, Israel and our people.
- Central to our mission is our love for and support of the State of Israel.
- Many students study in Israel before continuing on to college or university. We invite you to visit us and get a feel for the NYHS family!.
Northwest Yeshiva High School places among the top 20% of private schools in Washington for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- SAT Score Highest average SAT score
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||NWAIS (Northwest Association of Independent Schools|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Learning Resource Center|
|Total Students||70 students|
|Student Body Type||n/a|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||19 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Advanced Courses||Advanced/Honors Physics, Honors Chemistry, Honors Language Arts, University of Washington Biology, University of Washington Calculus A & B, University of Washington Computer Science, US History, Biology, Physics, Calculus|
|Average SAT score||1380|
|Average ACT score||29|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Collared shirts for men, skirts or dresses for women, modest, neat attire for all)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 20|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$19,000|
|Tuition Notes||We offer a third party tuition assessment program to families who need a reduced tuition.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$13,500|
|Admissions Director||Melissa Rivkin|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Golf, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Community Service, Drama, Israel Club, Spirit Club, Student Council
Arts and Music Programs:
Band, Poetry Clu
- Our Mission:
- Northwest Yeshiva High School:
- Provides a dynamic Judaic and college preparatory program for Jewish students of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
- Prepares our students to become intellectually engaged and committed to their communities and to the State of Israel.
- Promotes integrity, character, and adherence to traditional Torah values.
Profile last updated:
- People that viewed Northwest Yeshiva High School also viewed these schools: Menachem Mendel Seattle Cheder Day School.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Seattle Grades: NS-12 | 97 students
8420 Dayton Ave N
Seattle, WA 98103
(206)523-9766 11 NS-12
The best thing I''ve ever done for my son was taking him out of public school and putting him in into North west Yeshiva High School. Taking him out of a big pond with 30-50 students in a classroom and moving him into a small pond with 8-10 students in a class was what was needed to get him ready for college. He learned how to think as opposed to just memorizing answers. The quality of the teachers at NYHS was top tier and it showed . All the teachers offer tutoring after school for no extra charge and they really care about the students. His GPA went up to a 3.6 and he is now attending a top college. Thank you NYHS. Sincerely Jack Becker
- Posted by Parent - jackb
I am a sophomore at NYHS. The camaraderie of the student body is amazing -- it is like we are all part of one big family. The teachers are fantastic, challenging the students according to their skill level. There are many honors classes that can be taken for an extra challenge and some teachers even offer after school help with their class. I love going to school everyday because NYHS has made learning enjoyable.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - alfaz
We are so happy with NW Yeshiva. Every teacher my child has had has been excellent. They go the distance to make sure students are succeeding. My child has always struggled in math but now it is her best subject thanks to the after-school math help offered by Mrs. Cathcart. My daughter is a more confident, savvy learner since joining yeshiva. The Jewish studies teachers are accessible and warm hearted. They open up their homes to the students for shabbat dinners and after school study sessions. The secular studies teachers are also attentive. This is our 3rd year at the school and we cannot believe how lucky we''ve been with the outstanding teachers our daughter has had. Another aspect of the school I love is that administrators teach too. This keeps them in touch with the students. It is so important for teens to have so many wonderful role models. Thank you Rabbi Fox and yeshiva! For a small school there are many extra curricular and sports activities. Big emphasis on community service. Students and teachers do special service days at food banks together technology seems to be a big focus too. This is probably the best deal in the state for private schools. We consider it a real gift for our child.
- Posted by Parent - sewar
I am going to be graduating from NYHS shortly. These have been the best four years of my life! I was welcomed with open arms even though I had some academic challenges. The school created a personal learning plan for me which guided me toward success. In my Junior and Senior years I was ready to participate in all grade level classes due to the amazing support I received. I am proud to say I am entering University in the fall. I extend my sincere gratitude to the staff and teachers of NYHS! I am ready for success in college and beyond thanks to YOU!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - leaha
My son is getting ready to graduate and we feel very blessed that he had the opportunity to go to Northwest Yeshiva High School. This is a school very focused on academic achievement but not at the expense of nurturing students and creating a warm and loving Jewish environment for all students. I agree with the above reviewer. The diversity of Jewish background and instructor perspectives is very unique in the orthodox world. Students art Northwest Yeshiva are not pigeon holed but rather given the tools to think critically and share their ideas and thoughts. The administration is very keen on making sure each student finds success. My son entered with many special learning needs and we were worried in the beginning if the school would be too rigid and challenging for him. We worried needlessly. From the start, the administration met with us and our son and charted out a course of study for him that took into account his educational needs. Our son found success in areas he had previously shied away from. As he is preparing for college next year, I find that I am not worried about this next step since he is so much better prepared for college than most kids. He will be leaving the small warm atmosphere of Northwest Yeshiva but with wonderful tools and knowledge to succeed at college and beyond. The academic program is second to none. There are team sports. Basketball, volleyball, golf, cross country and track and field. For a small school, the sports teams do well. They also offer drama and art and a range of electives like film, forensics and psychology. The facilities are small and older. It would be great if Northwest Yeshiva had a building and facilities to reflect the high caliber education and experience they give our kids. If I win the lottery.....
- Posted by Parent - davin
This school is great!Since it is the only Jewish high school with a college prep. focus in the area, we were pretty much sold on sending our child here from the beginning. Now that we are approaching the second semester, I feel as though all our expectations were met and so much more. The academics are second to none. The students get into very prestigious universities. The school does like to show that. For a small school, there is an impressive number of national merit scholars and students get into impressive schools at a high rate. But what I wasn't expecting was the warm and family like atmosphere. The teachers and administration care about each student. The student body also cares about one another. The school's diversity in the Jewish community is unusual, especially in the orthodox community. Some may find that threatening but I find it uplifting. Jewish students amd their families of all backgrounds show respect and care for one another. Recently, we attended the all school family Friday night dinner and it was on display there. Teachers really want the students to succeed. My child was having difficulty in a class and the teacher not only encouraged our child to meet with her during lunch or afterschool, she would celebrate any success she found and the result has been very positive. I feel very lucky to live in a community with a school like this.
- Posted by Parent - sewar