Oaks Christian School (Closed 2022)
Oaks Christian School is an innovative, Christ-centered school located Charlotte, North Carolina.
OCS was established in 2018 with a vision to educate children in the ways they were designed to learn.
The vision is implemented by offering small class sizes and an experiential, project-based curriculum that incorporates biblical tenets.
Our model allows us to address a variety of learning styles, and enables us to holistically educate the whole child body, mind, heart, and soul.
Student Body Type
Students by Grade
Academics and Faculty
Total Classroom Teachers
Student : Teacher Ratio
National avg.: 13:1
Average Class Size
Classroom Dress Code
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
Jan. 21 / rolling
Yearly Tuition Cost
Total Sports Offered
We exist to nurture, develop and educate the whole child mind, body, heart and soul as an image-bearer of God. We accomplish our vision through an experiential classroom model, a Christ-centered Biblical worldview, community service partnerships, and a year-round calendar that promotes a love of learning
- At Oaks Christian, children experience the joy of discovering God`s Truth in all subject areas. God and the Bible are not merely relegated to a lesson plan, but rather, are the lens in which they view the world.
- At Oaks Christian, each student is paired with a Homeroom Shepherd (HRS). Homeroom Shepherds plan the faith-based content that is shared every morning during a dedicated devotional time called Gathering at the Grove. Homeroom Shepherds also advocate for students, understand how each child learns, and know their strengths and weaknesses. They work closely with teachers to holistically support and develop each child heart, mind, body and soul.
- Students learn best when they learn by doing. Hands-on projects and an emphasis on subject to subject integration allow students to connect concepts to the real world, retain information more fully, and experience gratification in the learning process. Our experiential learning model allows us to engage all three learning styles (auditory, visual, and kinesthetic).
- 80% of class time is spent on teacher-initiated/lead engaging, hands-on activities. Only 20% is teacher-directed/instruction.
- As a part of holistic education, we believe in the importance of equipping children with 21st-century skills of innovation and creativity. This is accomplished, in part, through developmentally appropriate technology that enhances learning in the classroom. Screen dependency can hinder these skills, especially for young students. Therefore, we strive to empower our students with appropriate tools for healthy digital citizenship, creativity, and innovation to impact the world for the better.
- When students are at school all day and come home to hours of homework, they miss out on opportunities for social and emotional development. Free time to play, socialization with family and friends, and adequate rest are essential for young learners. We make sure your kids get to be kids, and any assigned homework is intentionally light, relevant and practical.
- Our local partnerships have included working alongside the refugee population at Project 658, supporting Urban Ministries` Operation Sandwich initiative, performing songs and creating crafts for the residents of White Oak Manor, a Medicaid nursing facility, and blessing Foster Village caregivers with culinary treats.
- Six Fridays per year, students get to participate in projects focused on serving our neighbors throughout the Charlotte community.
- Research shows that when students attend school year-round, they enjoy a better rhythm in their lives, avoid regression commonly referred to as the "summer slide," and remain energized throughout the school year.
- Students at Oaks Christian enjoy short breaks every few weeks, an extended Christmas break, and a one month break in July.We`re all about honoring and redeeming childhood. Our schedule is 8:30 a.m. 2.30 p.m., which is about 1.5 hours shorter than the traditional school day. This provides more time for students to be outdoors, spend time with family, and learn through play.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Oaks Christian School cost?
Oaks Christian School's tuition is approximately $14,635 for private students.
What sports does Oaks Christian School offer?
Oaks Christian School offers 2 interscholastic sports: Cross Country and Lacrosse.
When is the application deadline for Oaks Christian School?
The application deadline for Oaks Christian School is Jan. 21 / rolling (applications are due on Jan. 21 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Children With Learning Differences: How To Proceed
Facing the reality that your child has learning differences is never easy. But with a diagnosis from a qualified professional, and skilled experienced teachers who know how to remediate those differences, your child can learn to handle her differences. More here.
Enrichment Resources For Children Ages 10-14
I asked ChatGPT to list apps, YouTube Channels, and podcasts suitable for enriching the studies of students ages 10-14. (We'll look at resources for younger and older students in another article.)
February 13, 2023Designing Assignments In The ChatGPT Era
AI (Artificial Intelligence), specifically ChatGPT, poses some serious challenges for teachers. We explore the importance of teaching students how to attribute the work and ideas of others.