- Open Door Christian Schools (ODCS) are co-educational preschool through grade twelve, college preparatory schools serving Christian families.
- Governed by a Board of Directors, ODCS is a non-profit, non-denominational institution which was founded in 1976.
- Our aim is to function as an extension of the home, and to nurture each student in his/her development as a whole person: spiritually, mentally, physically and socially-providing the opportunity to educate for eternity. In partnership with the family and the local church, our mission is the salvation, the discipleship, and the education for life and service of the students entrusted to our care.
- ODCS is the largest Christian school from Cleveland to Toledo and is 1 of only 4 schools in Ohio to be chartered by the State of Ohio, an accredited member of ASCI and AdvancED.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||speech language|
|Total Students||481 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||40 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Number of AP Courses||10 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average ACT score||23|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(casual campus wear)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Please contact the school as tuition varies per grade and discounts may apply.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Bronwyn Tucker|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,
Cross Country, Football,
Softball, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||28 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||8th Grade Trip, Art Fairs, Choir and Chorus, Concert Band, Educational International Travel, Elementary Bands, Elementary-High Schools plays and musicals, Great Debate, Handbells, Honors Courses, Junior Statesman Club, Key Club, Marching Band, Math Olympics, National Honor Society, Ohio Mock Trial, Patriot Service Club, Physics Project Contests, School Newspaper, Science Fairs, Senior Class Trip, Spanish Club, Speech Meets, Talent Show, Top Ten of the Class Banquet, Yearbook, Young Authors, elementary sports 8th Grade Trip, Art Fairs, Concert Band, Great Debate, Handbells, Honors Courses, Key Club, Marching Band, Math Olympics, Science Fairs, Spanish Club, Speech Meets, Talent Show, Yearbook, Young Authors, Choir and Chorus,
Educational International Travel,
Elementary-High Schools plays and musicals,
Junior Statesman Club,
National Honor Society,
Ohio Mock Trial,
Patriot Service Club,
Physics Project Contests,
Senior Class Trip,
Top Ten of the Class Banquet,
- Please visit our school profile at www.odcs.org under the admissions tab for detailed information on academics, sports, the arts and more. Open Door Christian Schools: Challenge the Mind, Strenghten the Body, Guide the Soul.
- ODCS is the largest Christian school from Toledo to Cleveland with an enrollment of near 500.
- 95% of graduates went on to higher education and on average each graduate earned $65,000 in scholarships.
- Over 3,500 community service hours are performed yearly by high school students including missions trips.
- ODCS offers 10 Advanced Placement (AP) classes on campus and 10 different AP courses online.
- 23% of ODCS families receive need-based financial assistance for tuition.
- ODCS Patriot Theatre performs a yearly spring musical at Lorain County Community College Stocker Center and is the only high school using this venue.
- In addition to the popular Accelerated Reader program, ODCS also has Accelerated Math using the iPad2 platform.
- Gymnasium was renovated with a new floor, bleachers, and weight room.
- 95% of High School students are involved in extra-curricular activities.
- 45% of students grades 8-12 participate in band and/or choir.
Profile last updated: 05/03/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
LorainGrades: K-8 | 409 students
3601 Oberlin Ave
Lorain, OH 44053
LakewoodGrades: 9-12 | 863 students
13500 Detroit Ave
Lakewood, OH 44107
ClevelandGrades: 9-12 | 419 students
2900 Martin Luther King Jr Drive
Cleveland, OH 44104
AvonGrades: KG-8 | 358 students
2680 Stoney Ridge Rd
Avon, OH 44011
LorainGrades: K-6 | 110 students
4125 Leavitt Road
Lorain, OH 44053
I had home-schooled our kids for 3 years, but after adopting 2 year old twins, I just didn't have anything left to give. Our kids needed more, and quite frankly, I needed a break! What a joy it has been to watch each of our children thrive at ODCS, not just educationally, but in personal and spiritual maturity! I am beyond grateful for the staff at ODCS. The one on one attention my children receive in incredible and the investment the staff makes in the lives of the students is a gift! I thank the Lord for bringing our family to ODCS because I know without a doubt this is where my children are becoming more like Jesus.
- Posted by Parent - Christine
We have been involved with ODCS since 1989 in many capacities. Both of our children have graduated from ODCS and were extremely well prepared for their next step into college. ODCS has a great administration that sets the bar high for the faculty and staff. That is evidenced by the care that they take with each student. As another reviewer pointed out, the cost of a solid Christian education is always worth it when you see your kids thriving, maturing, and becoming young adults that serve their Lord and make their faith their own. Well done ODCS!
- Posted by Parent - PastParent
We first became members of the Open Door family over 11 years when we enrolled our daughter in pre-school. Not once have we considered any other educational options for our children. The love the staff pours into each child, the commitment to excellent academics, and the spiritual growth seen first hand does not compare to any other school! ODCS is the only choice for us!!
- Posted by Parent - #1ODCSfan
In 2007 when we moved to Ohio from New Jersey our little girl was going into kindergarten and we were looking for a safe and great learning environment for her to go to school. She was our first child going into school and we wanted to make sure she was going to a school where she would feel welcomed, safe and would have the best education. In our search we found out about Open Door Christian Schools and the opportunity of her attending not only a very good, safe school but it was also a Christian school. Not only is she still at the school but now her two siblings are as well. We are grateful for the opportunity they have of attending ODCS where they get a solid education, a great biblical foundation and the opportunity to get involved in multiple sports, drama, summer camps and service projects within the community. The staff has been very supportive in partnering with us on behalf of our children. #proud2baPatriot
- Posted by Parent - GOtero
Open Door Christian School has met all of our expectations for our kids' education. A wide range of rigorous, relevant academics, a Christ-centered environment, a positive social environment, opportunities for sports, music, the arts, and extra-curriculars are all available at Open Door Christian Schools. This is a place where our high school aged kids thrive in body, mind, and spirit.
- Posted by Parent - lesou
We moved into the area from another state and we are so blessed that we found Open Door Christian Schools! The students and teachers were wonderfully welcoming to our children. Our kids get individualized instruction from Christian teachers. The are not only learning reading, writing, and arithmetic, but also about their Lord and Savior!
- Posted by Parent - hunt0
Open Door Christian Schools offers an excellent academic and spiritual environment. My husband and I have 5 children who have attended the Open Door Christian Schools (four are graduates of Open Door and one is still attending). It has been well worth our money as the school was able to provide for each child what they needed. Some of our children qualified for tutoring services and some participated in the AP/accelerated courses. All of our children were involved in either sports or drama. We were blessed by coaches and staff that guided and encourage spiritual growth for each of our kids. We would highly recommend Open Door Christian Schools!
- Posted by Parent - mcrow
The youngest of our seven children who attended ODCS is now a senior. Our family spans 22 years at this school. We transitioned to Open Door from homeschooling, which worked well. We have been impressed with the quality of Christian role models in the faculty and staff, as well as the caliber of the families here. We have made great friends through the years. Our children have received excellent college preparatory educations here and they have all been able to excel at extra-curricular activities, such as sports, music, and drama. Advisors and coaches invest in our children to develop their souls as well as their minds and bodies. A word about the cost- our attitude is that you pay now or you pay later. We have never regretted paying now for our children to have the privilege of attending Open Door Christian Schools.
- Posted by Parent - sccar