Open Window School
5.00 (2 reviews)
Open Window School Photo #2 - We challenge, support, and trust students to do real work that matters and has an impact beyond the classroom.
Open Window School Photo #3 - We engage our students' curiosity, cultivate their passions, and encourage intellectual risk-taking within a supportive peer group.
Open Window School Photo #4 - We support the unique needs of gifted students through an intentional program of social and emotional learning.
- Welcome to Open Window School, the Eastside's only independent school dedicated to meeting the needs of gifted children.
- OWS offers deep understanding and care for exceptionally bright, creative students.
- Our school provides a stimulating, challenging yet nurturing environment for children in Kindergarten through 8th Grade on our beautiful Cougar Mountain campus.
Open Window School places among the top 20% of private schools in Washington for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- Acceptance Rate Lowest average acceptance rates
- Diversity Highest percentage of students of color
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
- Student Body Largest student body
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
NWAIS (Northwest Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||348 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||49 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||19 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 16 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$28,820|
|Tuition Notes||Financial Aid is available.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$13,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Calley Hart|
|Admissions Associate||Eugenie Lemerle|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Martial Arts, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Golf, Martial Arts,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Alpine Club, Chess Club, First Lego League, Math Counts
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Cascade League Sports, Martial Arts
- Parent Tours of the school are offered weekly October through January. Please sign up for a tour on our website, or call for a reservation (425-747-2911). You're also invited to join us during our Open House on Saturday, November 9, 2019 1-3PM. Please visit our web site for more details.
Profile last updated:
- People that viewed Open Window School also viewed these schools: Eton School, Bellevue Children's Academy, Bellevue Montessori School, The Overlake School and Children's Institute For Learning Differences (CHILD).
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Bellevue Grades: PK-9 | 643 students
14640 Ne 24th St
Bellevue, WA 98007
(425)649-0791 6 PK-9
- Bellevue Grades: PK-5 | 211 students
2411 112th Avenue NE
Bellevue, WA 98004
(425)454-7439 6.8 PK-5
- Renton Grades: K-12 | 44 students
2640 Benson Road S
Renton, WA 98055
(425)336-3260 7.5 K-12
My Kindergartener comments out-of-blue several times a week that he loves his school and said this morning he wishes he could rate it, so here we are :)I'm extremely happy with the school: It seems all the lower school specialists manage to work physical activity into their lessons, children are treated with respect and have SEL built into daily activities. The teachers and staff are highly conscientious, constantly revising their curriculum and methods based on outcomes, the latest in educational research, and community feedback. Just driving onto campus each morning feels good, because everything is done so well. The active and supportive parent community is wonderful. Lots of helpful parent Ed talks and resources (and plenty of nerdy, type A parents as you might imagine, that tend to knock whatever task they've volunteered for out of the park). Of course, each year is going to be different depending on the mix of parents, students, and faculty but the institutional structure of constant improvement and community involvement is one of the best I've seen.I also really appreciate the fact that my son is now middle-of-the-pack in terms of intellect and assertiveness, finding friends with similar interests and abilities. And I've been able to relax around the other parents who share similar experiences of parenting exceptional kids. Hope this is helpful; I know picking a school is a big decision and the cost is significant. All I can say it that we really love Open Window.
- Posted by Parent - Monica
Our son has gone to Open Window from K - 8. Our experience, inclusive of his feedback, has been excellent. The mission of "children first, gifted second" has helped our son to become a great human being in addition to ultra-high standardized scores including the SSAT and ISEE tests. We would make the decision to send him here again without reservation. If you are a parent who demands "gifted first, children second" or a "tiger mom" type of parenting that is only focused on brutal rigor, home schooling may be a better option.
- Posted by Parent - tim
What is a lab school? It's a K-12 school or school with some variation of those grades which is operated by a university or college.
Helicopter, velcro and snowplow parents can't stand the thought of their children having difficulty with anything. Over-protective parents come in several flavors. More here.
Raising money for your small school never seems to end. There is always some pressing need. And a few long-term ones as well. We offer some tips, suggestions and strategies to help you tackle this important aspect of your school's financial situation.