- The Solomon Schechter School of Manhattan is a vibrant and growing independent coeducational K-8 Jewish elementary and middle school committed to the principle that the most meaningful and successful learning happens when students are active learners.
- Our mission is to ignite within our students a passion for learning and a commitment to translating ideas into meaningful action.Through inquiry, close reading, and thoughtful debate across the academic disciplines, our students become independent learners and powerful communicators.
- They cultivate their Jewish identities through joyful prayer, exploration of the Torah's wisdom, mastery of Hebrew, and participation in Jewish life.
- They engage, support, and challenge one another as members of a collaborative, caring community.Schechter Manhattan graduates confidently go forth to meet the intellectual, social, and moral challenges that lie ahead, poised not only to do well in life, but also to do good in the world.
- The school is accredited by the New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS) and holds an Absolute Charter from the New York State Board of Regents.
- In addition, it is a member of the New York Guild of Independent Schools, the Parents League, and the Educational Records Bureau.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Solomon Schechter Day Schools (SSDS)
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Total Students||142 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||36 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 2 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition is set on a sliding scale based on parents’ demonstrated ability to afford its cost. Schechter Manhattan uses the Independent School Management Financial Aid for School Tuition (FAST), to provide a need-based financial aid analysis which ensures|
|Admissions Director||Andrea Feldman|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, SoccerBasketball, Soccer,
- Welcome to a place where curiosity rules. Where children learn to honor timeless traditions and think for themselves. Where they're encouraged to ask bold questions, confront paradox and discover new connections. Where critical inquiry feels like fun, and lights go on in unexpected ways. Welcome to a place where students see links between Moses and Macbeth, anthropology and architecture, biology and Bible. Where children understand empathy so deeply that they relate to characters -- real and fictional -- across every era in time and draw guidance from them for living today. Welcome to a place where everything feels accessible, nothing is off-limits and students yearn to engage the world. Welcome to Schechter Manhattan. Engage the Mind. Engage the World.
Profile last updated: 06/01/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
New YorkGrades: NS-12 | 882 students
20 W End Ave
New York, NY 10023
New YorkGrades: NS-8 | 163 students
319 E 74th Street
New York, NY 10021
New YorkGrades: K-12 | 1281 students
108 E 89th St
New York, NY 10128
New YorkGrades: NS-PK | 165 students
55 East 90th Street
New York, NY 10128
New YorkGrades: KG-12 | 646 students
260 W 78th St
New York, NY 10024
Nearby Homes for Sale
May 26, 2017
When you apply for a position at a private school, you need to use a slightly different approach than you would use if you were applying for a sales job somewhere.
May 25, 2017
The admissions essay is an important part of your child's admissions profile. Noodle Pros essay expert Kate Fisher offers some valuable tips about writing the admissions essay.
May 25, 2017
Myths, urban legends and just plain misinformation abound concerning private schools. We shed some light on the facts you may not have known.