Solomon Schechter School Of Manhattan
- The Solomon Schechter School of Manhattan is a vibrant and growing independent coeducational K-8 Jewish elementary and middle school committed to the principle that the most meaningful and successful learning happens when students are active learners. Our mission is to ignite within our students a passion for learning and a commitment to translating ideas into meaningful action.Through inquiry, close reading, and thoughtful debate across the academic disciplines, our students become independent learners and powerful communicators.
- They cultivate their Jewish identities through joyful prayer, exploration of the Torah's wisdom, mastery of Hebrew, and participation in Jewish life.
- They engage, support, and challenge one another as members of a collaborative, caring community.Schechter Manhattan graduates confidently go forth to meet the intellectual, social, and moral challenges that lie ahead, poised not only to do well in life, but also to do good in the world.
- The school is accredited by the New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS) and holds an Absolute Charter from the New York State Board of Regents.
- In addition, it is a member of the New York Guild of Independent Schools, the Parents League, and the Educational Records Bureau.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Solomon Schechter Day Schools (SSDS)|
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Total Students||146 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 28%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||36 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||18 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 2 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$387,000|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition is set on a sliding scale based on parents’ demonstrated ability to afford its cost. Schechter Manhattan uses the Independent School Management Financial Aid for School Tuition (FAST), to provide a need-based financial aid analysis which ensures|
|Admissions Director||Janet Barzilay|
|Admissions Associate||Abby Harrington|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, SoccerBasketball, Soccer,|
- Welcome to a place where curiosity rules. Where children learn to honor timeless traditions and think for themselves. Where they're encouraged to ask bold questions, confront paradox and discover new connections. Where critical inquiry feels like fun, and lights go on in unexpected ways. Welcome to a place where students see links between Moses and Macbeth, anthropology and architecture, biology and Bible. Where children understand empathy so deeply that they relate to characters -- real and fictional -- across every era in time and draw guidance from them for living today. Welcome to a place where everything feels accessible, nothing is off-limits and students yearn to engage the world. Welcome to Schechter Manhattan. Engage the Mind. Engage the World.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- New York Grades: NS-12 | 882 students
20 W End Ave
New York, NY 10023
(212)246-7717 2 NS-12
- New York Grades: K-12 | 644 students
260 W 78th St
New York, NY 10024
(212)812-8521 1.1 K-12
- New York Grades: K-12 | 1329 students
108 E 89th St
New York, NY 10128
(212)423-5450 1.1 K-12
Nearby Homes for Sale
You have just heard about a new private school opening soon in your area. Should you consider sending your child there? A look at the pros and cons of such a decision.
If you know the answers to all these questions, you probably teach or work in a private school. Be that as it may, these questions contain links with the answers.
As you evaluate schools, take time to explore fully what the schools which you are looking at teach.