Tel: (267) 595-4723
- We Serve bright students in grades 9-12, with or without an IEP, who have struggled in school because of dyslexia or dyscalculia, ADHD, or other cognitive issues.
- Sophia Academy`s model includes small classes, personal attention, and a multi-sensory, rigorous education.
- Students at Sophia Academy: Benefit from intensive intervention and hands-on education;
- Gain self-confidence along with growing skills and knowledge; Operate in areas of strength each day as they use both sides of the brain;
- Succeed academically and enjoy school; Engage with college prep curriculum with appropriate supports; Strengthen executive function; Explore, discover, and create.
Sophia Academy places among the top 20% of private schools in Pennsylvania for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||dyslexia, dyscalculia, and other language-based learning differences; ADHD; mild ASP|
|Total Students||11 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||5 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||2:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||4 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$19,000|
|Tuition Notes||Sophia Academy offers generous financial aid|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$10,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Priscilla Strapp|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||5 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Classes, Chair Caning, Drama Class, Music/Guitar lessons
Multi-Sensory and Multi-Modal - "Tapping the hidden genius"
- Sophia Academy began as a pilot program at International Christian High School in the fall of 2016, serving 9th and 10th grade students with dyslexia, dyscalculia, and other language-based learning differences.
- It quickly became evident that our small classes, multi-sensory curricula, evidence-based instruction, and integration with the visual and performing arts provided an effective education for students who often fall through the educational cracks.
- As we grew in numbers, we also added to our program such helps as occupational therapy and the Kinetic Classroom for executive function.
- By the fall of 2019, Sophia Academy will have graduated our first class and will be an independent school.
- Through the use of manipulatives such as tiles, blocks, and overlays, students are able to improve reading and math skills by multiple grade levels.
- Discovery, experimentation, and creativity are emphasized.
- Students practice executive function skills through alphabetic, oral, visual, and kinesthetic modes.
- Our curriculum meets all state standards while providing real and obvious success to students who may have struggled through many years of school.
- Small class sizes ensure appropriate intervention and attention for each student.
- Music, art, and instruction in artisan crafts enable students to access both sides of their brain and operate in areas of strength each week.
Profile last updated:
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Philadelphia Grades: PK-12 | 146 students
6707 Old York Rd
Philadelphia, PA 19126
(215) 927-7770 0.7 PK-12
- Philadelphia Grades: PK-K | 50 students
6401 Ogontz Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19126
(215) 276-2990 1 PK-K
- Philadelphia Grades: K-5 | 15 students
6100 N 21st St
Philadelphia, PA 19138
(215) 844-5000 1.3 K-5
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.