St. Joseph By The Sea High School
5.00 (2 reviews)
- St. Joseph by-the-Sea High School is a private Catholic school which exists to afford young men and women the opportunity to come to appreciate that every person has been created by God in His image and likeness, was redeemed by Christ, and is destined to become one with God.
- Here, education is the deliberate effort of the administration, faculty, and parents to assist our young people in the development of their spiritual, moral, intellectual, physical, social and aesthetic potential through instruction, discipline and example.
- We offer, therefore, an education rooted in Gospel values. We expect students to develop an awareness and sensitivity for these values and for the basic principles of American democracy by practicing them in their lives.
- Our ultimate goal is to help develop responsible persons who will use their virtues and talents in making the world a better place.
- In cooperation with the home, the church, and the state, we communicate knowledge, truth, and a sense of justice in order to give students the ability to exercise responsible choices in their lives.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||1365 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||52 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||26:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||35 students|
|Number of AP Courses||8 courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Government, AP Calculus, AP English, AP US History, College Latin, American Authors, Pre-Calculus Mathematics, Calculus, College Chemistry, College Physics, Western Civilization, College Writing, College Speech,|
|Average SAT score||1110|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$7,350|
|Tuition Notes||Includes a school issued iPad.|
|Admissions Director||Fr. Michael Reilly|
|Total Sports Offered||24 sports|
|Sports||Archery, Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Dance, Diving, Fencing, Flag Football, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Marksmanship, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Weightlifting, Winter Track, WrestlingArchery, Baseball,|
Flag Football, Football,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Winter Track, Wrestling,
- All students take a college preparatory course, with an advanced "honors" track for more advanced students. All students must take four years of Science, Math, English, History, and Religion and complete a three year foreign language sequence. All students receive a Regents diploma "with advanced designation" (that is, students are expected to pass with at least 65 percent the New York State exams in English, Algebra, Biology, Global Studies and U.S. History necessary for a Regents-endorsed diploma, plus Geometry, Algebra II/Trigonometry, and Chemistry required for the "advanced" endorsement; students also take a third science Regents exam in Earth Science or Physics, placing them even above the advanced designation). Students in honors take three years of Latin culminating and earn six credits in Latin From St. John's University. Students can earn up to 60 college credits from SUNY Albany, St. John's University, and Iona College in their junior and senior years. In addition to the above courses and several other requirements, students are required to take four years of Catholic Studies (Introduction to the Creed and Sacraments; Sacred Scipture; Church History; Moral Theology) is closed and pass a Catholic Competency Examination. There are three full time priests on staff.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Staten IslandGrades: 9-12 | 570 students
100 Merrill Ave
Staten Island, NY 10314
- Staten IslandGrades: 9-12 | 35 students
4240 Amboy Rd
Staten Island, NY 10308
- Staten IslandGrades: 9-12 | 872 students
2900 Amboy Rd
Staten Island, NY 10306
To whom it may concern, My daughter Ashley Baggs will be attending St. Joseph by the SEA in September I was wondering how I can go about her getting a scholarship. I was reading in the Staten Island Advance about this program called The "Children's Scholarship Partnership Regionalization Awards" is this available to her?
- Posted by Parent - lorib
Dear Father Reilly, My son Ryan Gaynor is interested in attending St.Joseph by the Sea in September to get a good education and continue his religious studies. I was wondering what scholarships were available and how do we apply for them? Thank You , Sincerely Mrs.Gaynor
- Posted by Parent - sinde
January 19, 2018
Depending on their family circumstances, our Presidents received a wide range of primary and secondary schooling.
January 19, 2018
A fascinating look at where our first Presidents went to school.
January 18, 2018
From time to time we all wonder how things might have turned out if circumstances and situations had been different. We apply that questioning to private schools.