St. Timothy's School
5.00 (7 reviews)
Tel: (919) 787-3011
St. Timothy's School Photo #2 - St. Timothy's School weaves service opportunities into our schedules and our curriculum, as our students strive to make a positive difference for a variety of communities. We believe our pre-kindergarten through eighth grade model is uniquely effective in preparing students to meet the challenges of the future, and service learning is an essential piece of that preparation.
St. Timothy's School Photo #3 - St. Timothy's School, a member of the Capital Area Middle School Conference (CAMSC), fields 16 competitive sports teams: varsity and JV soccer (boys and girls), varsity and JV basketball (boys and girls), cross country (boys and girls), track (boys and girls), tennis (boys and girls), boys baseball, golf (co-ed), girls varsity and JV volleyball, and girls softball or lacrosse.
St. Timothy's School Photo #4 - Our Lower School provides the foundation. Children have the opportunity to be challenged and loved, and to excel in ways that fit their own unique development.
St. Timothy's School Photo #5 - Middle School students (5th-8th grade) receive their own Chromebook for use at school and at home. Students regularly use this technology both in the classroom and at home, from collaborating and creating documents on Google Docs to submitting answers on Kahoot to taking on structured project research.
St. Timothy's School Photo #6 - The After School Care program at St. Timothy's is available until 6:00 p.m. daily. Students have the opportunity to do homework as well as to participate in organized and supervised games and activities.
St. Timothy's School Photo #7 - Our band program offers several different levels for students in grades 3 - 8 including Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, Beginning Band, Flute Ensemble, and Percussion Ensemble. We also offer an active middle school chorus program throughout the year.
- At St. Timothy's School, we believe the foundation for a life of integrity, service, and purpose begins with smaller, everyday moments. We educate intentionally in each moment--a thought-provoking conversation in language arts, a first try at a new technique in art class, or a hard-fought game on the athletic field. We cherish every opportunity for our students to demonstrate compassion, to solve problems with diligence and creativity, to learn through a lens of both faith and reason, and to build the confidence and skills that will prepare them for all that life's journey holds. Our St. Timothy's community knows that every moment matters because it all starts here.
- STS Parents' Kind Gesture Featured on Local News - 04/29/2020 - Parents organized a drive-by birthday celebration for a beloved member of the STS community, which was later featured on a local news channel.
- Three Students Advance to State Science Fair - 02/05/2020 - Congratulations to 134 STS students who participated in the STS Science Fair. Five were selected to compete in the regional science fair, and three of those students advanced to the ...morestate-level competition. hide
- STS Students Earn Top Awards in Regional Art Competition - 01/08/2020 - Each year, STS Art Teacher Kim Balentine encourages her seventh and eighth grade students to submit their artwork for consideration by the prestigious Scholastic Art Awards, and this year 16 ...moredifferent submissions from nine of our student artists earned recognition. hide
- Virtual Reality Field Trips Take Students Around The World - 11/06/2019 - Earlier this semester, students in sixth grade at St. Timothy`s School in Raleigh took a trip to the Roman Coliseum and Greek Parthenon. But they did so without ever leaving ...moretheir classroom. hide
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Episcopal Schools (NAES)|
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2004|
|Total Students||542 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 18%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||58 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||17 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / Feb. 15 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition range: $9600 to $17850|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$5,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Mrs. Arrin Dutton|
|Admissions Associate||Mrs. Julie Swain|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WeightliftingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
National Jr. Honor Society, Student Council
Arts and Music Programs:
At St. Timothy`s School, we believe that from their earliest years of schooling through early adolescence, children are forming the skills and attitudes that will drive all future academic achievement and social development. They must be engaged, challenged, nurtured, and loved.St. Timothy`s School is an Episcopal preparatory school for pre-kindergarten through eighth grade committed to building the strongest foundations to guide our students in successful lifelong journeys. We offer exceptional academic experiences and enriching opportunities for growth in a close-knit community of dedicated teachers and supportive families. We blend Episcopal school traditions with academic excellence in an environment that inspires the imagination, fosters creativity, and promotes a love of learning.
- Our children are loved. For us, teaching is personal. Our teachers refer to students as "my children" or "my kids." We offer a nurturing environment that helps our children grow to be good people, not just good students.
- Our children are prepared. Ending in eighth grade means we must prepare students for public or private high schools, for Honors, AP or IB programs, and for Common Core or traditional curriculums.
- Our children are known. In a rapidly growing region, we have been - and will always remain - intentionally small enough to personally know each of our children and families.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Raleigh Grades: PK-8 | 243 students
204 Hillsborough St
Raleigh, NC 27603
(919) 832-4711 4.2 PK-8
Our daughter attended St. Timothy's from kindergarten through the eighth grade. This school has a warmth that is difficult to explain until you are a part of the community there. We always felt like our daughter was safe and well cared for. The academics are well above average and any child can participate in the many sports programs. If it is important for you to know for certain where your child will be going to school each year please consider this school as there are no guarantees that the Wake County public school system will allow your child to go to the same school each year. With St. Timothy's not having a high school we went to Ravenscroft where our daughter was well prepared and had a very seamless transition with several other students from St. Timothy's.
- Posted by Parent - David Wilson
We love STS. My son started there in Kindergarten had the most loving and grace-filled teacher. She challenged him where he was and made him believe in himself. He and his classmates were held accountable and taught/modeled how to love and care for others. The community of parents are so friendly and the staff are there to welcome and support you. A great school!
- Posted by Parent - Jessica Osborne
St.Timothy's is a great school if you have a child/children who struggle socially, academically and athletically. The school is known as the school of "misfits" in our local area. Not knowing this, we enrolled all of our children as our oldest was about to start middle school and we were not pleased with our public school option. Prior, our children had been in a private elementary school. We were immediately unimpressed with the elementary school and how weak the academics were. Our children were light years ahead. The school struggled to challenge them and often just gave them more work. The principal was unbearable, unprofessional and frightening to our/all children. Frankly, even years later we have yet to meet any current or past parents who have anything positive to say about her. She is a sad person. We were much more pleased with the middle school, but still found the academics a little weak and athletics were worse. We pulled our children out after two years. In that time over 22 faculty and staff had left. The headmaster, though kind, seemed to have no say in anything that happened at the school and had very little control in the day to day activities of the school. When asked where our enormous tuition payments were going, we were told that a budget is not published! If you start your child at kindergarten, I'm sure you will be pleased as you will know nothing better. For those looking to transfer, your money is better spent at several other options.
- Posted by Parent - Involved Parent
Our daughter started St. Timothy's in Kindergarten and will move on to the second grade in August 2018. We have been extremely happy with the academics, teachers, and the entire STS family. The school offers a safe and nurturing learning environment. We have watched our daughter's growth physically and mentally. She loves her friends and teachers and everyone that is part of the STS family which includes the after school program. We look forward to many years at St. Timothy's and know she will continue to thrive and grow here.
- Posted by Parent - Lynn Headley
Exceptional. I can't rave about St. Timothy's enough. The academics, extra-curriculars, community, teachers and families are all amazing! Our children LOVE school and so do we!
- Posted by Parent - fatrujillo
We have had 3 children attend St. Timothy's collectively over the last 15 years and have been extremely happy with every aspect of this school. They provide a top notch education with state of the art technology, in a very nurturing environment with plenty of opportunities for parent involvement. Each one of my children were well prepared for High School not only academically (they were several levels ahead in all subjects) but also emotionally, physically and spiritually. Sending my kids to St. Timothy's School from K-8th was one of the best parenting decisions I've made!
- Posted by Parent - Anna T
I cannot say enough good things about this school. My daughters have gone to St. Timothy's since Kindergarten and love it there. They are far ahead of their friends academically that go to public school. I suggest visiting the school because as soon as you walk in the door you will know what a child-centered environment St. Timothy's is.
- Posted by Parent - lilwe
Whether you are just beginning the process of choosing a private school or several months into it, make sure that you keep these five 'must haves' front and center in your thinking.
Are charter schools private schools? What do vouchers have to do with private schools? Some answers here.
You cannot rank private schools. We explain why.