Summit Academy School For Alternative Learners
5.00 (1 review)
Tel: (508) 751-8500
- http://www.summitacademyma.com Summit Academy provides a therapeutic school alternative for students with high functioning autism and related diagnoses.
- Our core values are belonging, warmth, collaboration, consistency, and balance.
- Students find a peer group at Summit that accepts their differences and challenges them to grow.
- Small class sizes, ABA, special education services, counseling, speech, and OT services; martial arts, art, and music therapy.
- Summit Academy: together, we're moving mountains. A member of Massachusetts Association of Approved Private Schools (maaps).
|School Type||Special Education School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 2-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||High Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder and related diagnoses|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||40 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||8 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Lands End monogrammed shirt)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Summit Academy is a MA approved Ch. 766 therapeutic outplacement. Most students are supported by their sending school districts. Tuition rates are set by the MA Operational Services Division (OSD).|
|Admissions Director||Paula Donahue|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sport|
|Sports||Martial ArtsMartial Arts|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||3 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Partnership with Local Organization: Diamond Is The Sky
Arts and Music Programs:
Music Therapy, Weekly Art Class
- Summit Academy provides a therapeutic school alternative for students with high functioning autism and related diagnoses. Our students typically also present with a secondary diagnoses such as anxiety, ADHD, mood disorder, Tourette's and/or mild to moderate behavioral concerns. Students must be able to access academics in a small group (12 students, 2 teachers, 1 aide) setting, and are typically within the low average to above average range congnitively. Summit Academy accepts both public school referrals and privately funded referrals.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Waltham Grades: 3-12 | 80 students
410 Totten Pond Road
Waltham, MA 02451
(781) 895-3200 30.2 3-12
- East Walpole Grades: 2-12 | 89 students
300 Boston Providence Tpke
East Walpole, MA 02032
(508) 850-3900 32.6 2-12
- Framingham Grades: 1-9 | 23 students
1 Winch St
Framingham, MA 01701
(508) 877-1222 18.8 1-9
- Lancaster Grades: 1-12 | 158 students
971 Main St
Lancaster, MA 01523
(978) 368-4980 14.5 1-12
- Natick Grades: 1-12 | 37 students
6 Strathmore Rd
Natick, MA 01760
(508) 650-5940 22.5 1-12
Katherine is `graduating` from 8th grade at Summit to attend full inclusion 9th grade at the regular public regional high school. This is only possible because of the proven Summit program, and the work of the incredible education team here. Our daughter came to Summit toward the end of a traumatic 5th grade year in a public middle school that could not work with her disability. She responded very quickly to the experienced professionals at Summit, who were consistently firm yet kind.In 3 years, she has made tremendous progress on all her IEP goals, while developing a healthy and positive sense of self-worth. Katherine glows with self-confidence and enthusiasm. In fact, she recently scored 1190 on the SAT as an 8th grader, having done all of the planning and preparation independently.I believe Katherine thrived at Summit for three reasons. First, the Summit curriculum seemed tailored to address her specific development needs around behavior, emotional regulation, and executive functioning. The presence of deep behavioral and communication expertise daily on site to support classroom teachers and other staff was also key. Lastly, all staff (including specials teachers) are there specifically to work with children on the spectrum they `opt-in` to working with these types of kids. They want to be there.I often recommend Summit to others whenever I hear of a child with ASD who is not thriving in their current environment. Katherine made wonderful progress here and we will be forever grateful. Thank you Summit Academy!- Jim & Ellen, Summit Parents
- Posted by Parent - Jim & Ellen
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
This article aims to show you where to look for information about school reopening protocols, school reopening communications, schools that have closed, and schools with COVID-19 cases, among other COVID-19 related issues.