The Alexandria Academy
5.00 (1 review)
- The Alexandria Academy was founded in 1988 as an alternative academic program for gifted students.
- Since that time, it has grown to include special needs children and anyone for whom the existing traditional system does not fit.
- The school does not support classes but rather one-on-one mentorship between a teacher and a student.
- The philosophy of the school has always been that young people should be taught with intellectual peers rather than chronological peers.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|Grades Offered||Grades 4-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||gifted/mild learning differences|
|Total Students||54 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 43%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||4 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||5 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$6,000|
|Tuition Notes||tuition varies/financial aid available|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Dr. Stacey McEnnan|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||1 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Peace Child International Peace Child International,|
- Our students come from all over the greater Los Angeles area as well as from other states. We have taught young people from Los Angeles, Agoura, Riverside, Santa Clarita, Pasadena, Glendale, Norco, Encino, Oxnard, etc., as well as students from Florida, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Illinois, and Oregon. Our students go on to colleges and universities all over the country including Harvard, Brown, Columbia, USC, UC schools around the state, Reed College, and many more. Most have been able to enter their first choice schools. We do not use a set curriculum. Instead, the teacher assesses the student`s abilities in every subject area and then uses a curriculum which best fits with the child`s abilities and needs. Because of this, a student may be working in one curriculum for math but in another for English. This is true for all curricular areas: English, history, science, mathematics, ethics, electives, etc. The Alexandria Academy has found great success with a wide variety of students. Some have come from the entertainment industry, from athletics, music, dance, and writing. We have more recently been sought to educate students who are having trouble learning in the traditional atmosphere. We have had students with Asperger`s Syndrome, depression and other problems which have caused the parents and counselors to look for alternative education opportunities. We work with any child to help him/her reach full natural potential.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Thousand OaksGrades: 5-12 | 1335 students
31749 La Tienda Rd
Thousand Oaks, CA 91362
- Westlake VillageGrades: 1-12 | 140 students
Po Box 3381
Westlake Village, CA 91359
- BurbankGrades: 9-12 | 275 students
465 E Olive Avenue
Burbank, CA 91501
- Thousand OaksGrades: PK-12 | 259 students
384 Erbes Rd
Thousand Oaks, CA 91362
- Van NuysGrades: 7-12 | 12 students
14530 Sylvan St
Van Nuys, CA 91411
fabulous schools for students who learn in nontraditional ways
- Posted by Administrator - smcen
October 18, 2017
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
September 30, 2017
Scandals in private school are bound to raise questions for those of us thinking about sending our children to private school. Regardless of how sensational these scandals may appear, they are actually few and far between.
September 29, 2017
Parents have many reasons for deciding to take their children out of public school and enrolling them in private school. This circumstance is something which can happen at any stage of your child's education.