- School Type: Special Education School
- Grades: Kindergarten-12
- Enrollment: 83 students
- Average class size: 8 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Academics and Faculty
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- The Calais School is a state approved, private special education school in North Jersey. Our mission is to nurture and empower at-risk students and young adults with multiple learning disabilities to become gainfully employed and socially engaged after graduation.
- The Calais School offers a comprehensive educational experience with state-approved curriculum, therapeutic supports, visual & performing arts, independent living skills building, and college & career prep. An interactive learning environment with small classes and differentiated instruction keep students engaged. Academics are enriched with Promethean boards, iPads and laptops in every class room.
- K through Elementary
- Learning the basics with fun, student-centered activities. Certified teachers, counselors and therapists help students achieve academic, behavioral and emotional success.
- Middle School
- Promoting critical thinking, problem-solving skills and social-emotional growth. Students are exposed to world languages, multimediaclasses and Calais sports teams. The 8th grade features a modified high school schedule with varied teachers and classrooms.
- High School
- Emphasizing collaborative, student-led learning with a strong focus on 21st century skills. Student expression is engaged through a variety of fine and performing arts classes. Exposure to 21st Century Life & Career Skills, Work-Based Learning and Community-Based Instruction provide students with the building blocks for future success.
- 12 Plus Program
- A transitional program to bridge the gap between high school, college, and career. The 12 Plus program allows students ages 18-21 to prepare for the next step in a safe, nurturing and encouraging environment.
- Counseling Supports
- Mindfulness is integrated into all areas of counseling to help students cope with stress, regulate emotions and improve self-awareness. Individual and group counseling reinforces the skills needed to succeed. Social skills counseling helps students with self-expression, navigating peer relationships and resolving conflict. Counseling and parent support workshops are also available to the families of each student.
- Animal Assisted Interventions
- A team of highly trained handlers and certified dogs help students reach behavioral and therapeutic goals through intervention techniques that decrease student anxiety and increase student engagement.
- Related Services
- Therapeutic services are delivered by a highly certified team of Social Workers, School Counselors, Therapists and a School Psychologist. Services include: group and individual counseling, occupational therapy, physical therapy, psychiatric consulting, social skills building, reading and speech.
- Extended School Year
- So much more than a summer camp, this half day program incorporates academics, social skills, and counseling with field trips, projectbased learning and summer fun! ESY helps prevent academic and social regression.
- For over 50 years we have helped students in grades K through 12 Plus with multiple learning disabilities as well as anxiety, mood, behavior and autism spectrum disorders to learn grown and exceed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does The Calais School offer a summer program?
What sports does The Calais School offer?
When is the application deadline for The Calais School?
View the The Calais School yearly calendar below. Note key dates such as:
Endorse The Calais School. Endorsements should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
- Academic or athletic awards