The Howard School
5.00 (1 review)
- The Howard School serves 89 students in grades Prekindergarten-8 and is a member of the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS) and the Carden Educational Foundation.
- The student:teacher of The Howard School is 9:1 and the school's religious affiliation is Nonsectarian.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)|
Carden Educational Foundation
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||89 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 45%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(e.g. Polos and Khaki)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- Established in 1934 by Mae Carden, the Carden Method® encompasses the developmental progression of every child. The comprehensive curriculum gives children the tools necessary to gain mastery of math, science, reading and writing. Reading s...kills are taught through a sequential presentation of phonics, rhythm, and visual imagery. Specialty programs including art, music, theatre, foreign language, computer and physical education are central to a Carden education. Our goal is to promote growth of the whole child including emotional and physical development coupled with the pursuit of academic excellence. Small class sizes allow teachers to work closely with each child to develop strengths and target areas of weakness. Located in the semi-rural Carpinteria Valley, our campus offers a picturesque educational environment to families from the towns of Goleta, Santa Barbara, Montecito, Carpinteria, Ventura and Oxnard. Instruction is complemented by superb facilities: playing fields and an indoor gymnasium provide daily opportunities for physical activity; the theatre accommodates drama, music and special programs; and a state-of-the-art computer lab fosters computer literacy. Education at The Howard Carden School extends beyond the classroom. Students are taught leadership and responsibility in the community through participation in activities such as the Teddy Bear Foundation's, Adopt a Child for Christmas program or hosting senior citizens at school performances. They also participate in educational programs that promote relationships with local businesses and non-profit organizations including Carpinteria’s Girls Inc., with which we have partnered since 1999.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Ventura Grades: PK-3 | 26 students
1239 E. Main Street
Ventura, CA 93001
(805)648-1437 15.2 PK-3
- Ventura Grades: PK | 36 students
38 Teloma Dr
Ventura, CA 93003
(805)642-9567 18.6 PK
The Howard School is unique in the emphasis it puts on teaching students how to "learn" and to also perform life's important non-academic skills with exceptional results. The teachers and administrators are excellent educators who display a passion for teaching and a deep caring for & pride in their students.
- Posted by Parent - ruddg
The Seattle area is home to many fine private schools as well as to major companies such as Microsoft, Boeing and Starbucks.
Religion is important to you. You want your children to be educated in a school where your religion matters.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.