The Orme School
Tel: (928) 632-7601
The Orme School Photo #2 - The Orme School campus encompasses 300 acres and is surrounded by a 26,000 acre cattle ranch in the scenic high-desert of Arizona.
The Orme School Photo #3 - Students from around the world come to Orme to make up it's intimate community.
The Orme School Photo #4 - Staying true it's heritage of being a working ranch, Orme offers students the opportunity to ride horses.
Set on a 26,000 acre cattle ranch in the high desert of Arizona, The Orme School has been a leader in independent Boarding School education since 1929.
Orme's rigorous college-prepartory curriculum features 13 Advanced Placement courses and is rounded out by a variety of unique electives such as engineering, sustainability and horsemanship.
In addition, through a new partnership with Arizona State University, upper level students have the option of taking college-credit bearing Environmental Science courses as well.
The Orme School places among the top 20% of private schools in Arizona for:
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
National Association of College Admissions Counselors
|Grades Offered||Grades 8-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||142 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 41%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||25 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Number of AP Courses||14 courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature, AP European History, AP Physics, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP US History, AP World History|
|Average SAT score||1240|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$48,000|
|Tuition Notes||Day student tuition - $14000|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$18,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Jessica Calmes|
|Admissions Associate||Kate McLaughlin|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Archery, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Equestrian, Football, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WeightliftingArchery, Baseball,|
Cross Country, Equestrian,
Football, Mountain Biking,
Rock Climbing, Soccer,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||14 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Art Club, Blacksmithing, Choir, Dance, Gardening, Glassblowing, Horsemanship, International Club, Orme Student Council, Photography, Piano, Theater|
Club or Organization:
Latin Club, Math Club
- A legacy of Excellence, Tradition and Character Since 1929
- The Orme School has been steeped in tradition and success. From our rigorous academic program, boasting AP course offerings in all subjects, to 47 years of our amazing Fine Arts Festival, it is no wonder that The Orme School has been named one of the top 20 boarding schools in the United States http://www.thebestschools.org/features/best-boarding-schools-in-us/.
- Orme life is rooted in Sustainability. The campus is home to a large garden, a 200 tree fruit orchard, a table grape vineyard and composting operations. Students take an active role in the cultivation of their food, as well as the preparation. All food served at Orme is grown on site or locally sourced and prepared using all natural, preservative-free ingredients
- The center of Orme`s marque academic program is the small, intimate class size. Typical classes do not exceed 10 students, giving each student ample opportunities to learn in an interactive, non-intimidating environment. Class buildings are spread among Orme`s 300 acre campus and include Math, Science, and Humanities buildings along with a Metal Working workshop, Glass Blowing workshop, Music classrooms and an Art Annex. Every day, Orme students also experience the expansion of their classrooms into the outdoors, whether it be Biology class studying the effects of the drought in Ash Creek or English Literature conducting a poetry reading among the shade of the fruit trees.
- Learning does not stop at the end of the academic day for Orme students. After school students are offered a variety of activities from riding one of the 40 horses, to trying a new sport on one of our all-inclusive sports teams. For students interested in learning more diverse skills, they can take part in preparing meals in our dining facility or experience the thrill of acting on stage in our theatre club. Orme athletic facilities include: a state of the art equestrian facility with a full, lighted rodeo arena, an English arena, numerous paddocks and warm-up pens, a lighted football and soccer field, professional-grade baseball and softball fields, a competition length swimming pool, tennis courts, and an enclosed gymnamsium.
- Life at Orme offers unique opportunities for students to bond with one another. Each room features 1-2 beds with a shared bathroom between two rooms. The expansive campus allows for dormitories to be separated by sex, allowing privacy and creating a safe environment for all students. Weekends are filled with amazing opportunities to explore Arizona through our Culture Credit and Outdoor Learning trips. On any given weekend you can find students engaging in activities such as volunteering, skiing, attend a gallery opening, or camping. The temperate climate at Orme allows for a variety of year-round offerings.
- Orme is a school where students thrive and diversify, while being carefully coached along the way. Do you see yourself at Orme Admissions are accepted on a rolling basis. Learn more at our website, www.ormeschool.org
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Phoenix Grades: NS | 62 students
1118 W Glendale Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85021
(602) 944-2464 56 NS
- Phoenix Grades: PK-K | 186 students
4647 E. Marilyn Road
Phoenix, AZ 85032
(602) 867-2357 51.2 PK-K
- Sedona Grades: 9-12 | 99 students
3511 Verde Valley School Road
Sedona, AZ 86351
(928) 284-2272 37.2 9-12
Sending your child to a single-sex school is one of several options you have when it comes to private schools.
Each state sets its own teacher certification requirements. While many private schools do not require you to be certified, it is in your best interests to obtain certification. This article includes contact information for state education offices so you can begin the process.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.