The Phelps School
5.00 (9 reviews)
Tel: (610) 644-1754
The Phelps School Photo #2 - We are LIVE and IN PERSON! Proper COVID protocols being followed allowing us to continue our objective of transformation and maximization.
The Phelps School Photo #3 - There is strong school spirit at Phelps. Many boys participate in various sports, playing in the Tri County Independent School League.
The Phelps School Photo #4 - Founded in 1946, The Phelps School is dedicated to the personalized education for the boy who seeks success academically, personally and socially. Our first obligation is to create a caring, sensitive climate which emphasizes the positive in every situation.
The Phelps School Photo #5 - Our 70 acre campus is located 25 miles west of downtown Philadelphia in historic Chester County.
The Phelps School Photo #6 - ASP is designed to meet the student at his instructional level and to aid in the process in reading, writing and math. We are dedicated to finding an approach that replaces failure with success.
The Phelps School Photo #7 - ESL immerses the students in the English language and the American culture and improves their English proficiency for academic and social successes.
The Phelps School Photo #8 - We offer a wide variety of sports for the student athlete: Varsity and JV Soccer, Cross Country, Golf, Varsity and JV Tennis, Varsity and JV Basketball, Wrestling, Fitness/Weight Training, Badminton, Lacrosse and Baseball.
The Phelps School Photo #9 - ... along with Studio Art, Film Appreciation, Year Book and Music Appreciation.
- The Phelps School is a private boarding and day school for boys in grades six through 12 and a postgraduate year.
- We're a small school--about 110 students--so we can provide each student with a personalized learning experience.
- We offer everything from Advanced Placement (AP) courses for gifted students to an Academic Support Program (ASP) for students with learning differences.
- What truly differentiates The Phelps School is the dedication we have to each individual boy and helping him to reach his full potential academically, personally and socially.
- Our staff and faculty are deeply committed, and involved 24-7 in our students' lives as teachers, coaches, dorm parents and more.
- We have competitive athletic teams and all kind of extracurricular activities, all on our 70-acre campus in Malvern, PA.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools (ADVIS)
Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||110 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||23 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||7 students|
|Number of AP Courses||14 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AB Calculus (AP), BC Calculus (AP), Biology (AP), Chemistry (AP), English Language and Composition (AP), English Literature and Composition (AP), Environmental Science (AP), Physics (AP), Psychology (AP), Spanish (AP), Statistics (AP), U.S. Government & Politics (AP), U.S. History (AP), World History (AP)|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Khaki pants and jacket)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$53,500|
|Tuition Notes||Day Student Tuition is $31,400|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Claire Gowen|
|Admissions Associate||Caroline Whitbeck|
|Endowment Size||$1.5 million|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Golf,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
Club or Organization:
Film Appreciation, Gardening, National Honors Society, Photography, Rocketry
Arts and Music Programs:
Music/Drama, Studio Arts
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- The Phelps School is welcoming visitors to campus! Monday-Friday from 9:00am-4:00pm, and weekends by appointment! Call Today!
- The Phelps School, located in Malvern, Pennsylvania, is a private, nonsectarian boarding and day school for boys in grades six through 12 and a postgraduate year. Founded in 1946 by Dr. Norman T. Phelps, it upholds its original credo of "Dedication to the Individual Boy." True to this philosophy, The Phelps School is committed to providing a highly customized educational experience that empowers each student to reach his fullest potential academically, personally and socially. The school serves a diverse population of approximately 110 students annually, of which 30 percent are international students and 30 are day students. With approximately 110 students enrolled, our average class size of seven. The Phelps School offers the ideal setting for boys who thrive in a small, nurturing and structured environment. Learning at the Phelps School is personalized for each student and ranges from college-level Advanced Placement (AP) courses for academically gifted students to comprehensive Academic Support Program (ASP) for students with learning differences. The Phelps School is non to take the holistic approach to the educational experience, fostering the growth intellectual knowledge, social awareness, work ethic and commitment to service to develop young men of character and integrity. The staff and the faculty at The Phelps School are deeply invested in the wellbeing of each student and his ability to achieve individual success. Our student population is highly diverse, uniting students from different cultures and backgrounds and with varying skill-sets. The small size of The Phelps School provides every student with numerous opportunities to excel and flourish in academics, athletics and leadership. As an all boys school, The Phelps School understands boys and their needs. The Phelps school transforms lives by empowering students to reach their highest potential. We prepare students for college and for life.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Exton Grades: 9-12 | 180 students
1001 E Lincoln Hwy
Exton, PA 19341
(610) 363-7500 5.2 9-12
- Malvern Grades: 6-12 | 634 students
418 S. Warren Avenue
Malvern, PA 19355
(484) 595-1100 1.8 6-12
As an educator, former Head of School and college president, I have been genuinely impressed by The Phelps School's educational paradigm. Their paradigm is a program of study known as the "Phelps Method." The Phelps Method is focused on developing the complete boy mind, body, and spirit - while sustaining their need for: - Independence - Structure - Individual achievement and success. Phelps is a place of transformation of the whole boy which in turn maximizes their life's potential. C. A. Mc George President Emeritus Missouri Military Academy.
- Posted by Administrator - C. A. McGeorge
Phelps is a unique place, As a student who was never a big fan of schools I was able to thrive at Phelps.Over my 7 years as a student I participated fully in the school life and activities, found my passions and interests. As the CEO/Founder of several large and successful companies with offices in 11 states and doing business worldwide I recognize that much of what has prepared me for that came from my time at Phelps.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - Sean
Phelps is a great place for boys who need a smaller environment in order to find the success that alluded them at their previous school. The dedication of the faculty and staff in caring for the students on a constant basis has helped many young men finally realize their potential and to have success in college.
- Posted by Teacher - MM
Phelps is a wonderfully supportive and passionate professional community of educators. Teachers have to be deeply committed to the well-being of the students to teach them, coach them, and live with them - and Phelps teachers are that and more. They truly love and appreciate their students (and know when they need listening ear or a little push to achieve) and it makes for a very accepting, caring community. The diversity of the student body is also an asset to everyone on campus - we have international students from all over the world, and with a relatively small population, it's impossible not to broaden your horizons. The administration is deeply committed to educating boys into productive, positive, contributing, and fulfilled young men, and have a principled and ever-evolving vision for the school.
- Posted by Teacher - Teacher
Words cannot express our thanks to The Phelps School. Our son was failing in public school and needed help. The Phelps school helped our son work through some of his issues and made sure he graduated. The caring staff and Head Master made it possible for him to graduate. I will always thank the school for the many chances they gave our son. He has grown in the three years he was there.
- Posted by Parent - Siegerman
Phelps School has been a blessing for my son. With the guidance of a supportive and caring staff, he has made academics his priority and does it independently! Parent oversight for homework and grades are no longer required in our house! He says, "I got this mom" and he has. He works with the staff and when he was struggling in math, arranged with their help to get a tutor to bring his grade up. The support staff is ready to help out with any needs we might have. We could not have been luckier to have found Phelps!!
- Posted by Parent - LRYW
My son was diagnosed with Dyslexia and has other learning differences. His former school put a multitude of accommodations in place to address these learning differences, however, year after year we continued to see very slow academic progress, and as such, the number of accommodations increased.Since attending the Phelps school, my son has been given motivational support and creative strategies, relative to his specific learning style. In this structured and very challenging environment the teachers at The Phelps school are helping him replace former accommodations with newly acquired self-reliance skills and abilities.That in itself would be a "home run" for our son and our family, however, they don't stop there. The entire staff takes a personal interest in all of these kids by "showing up." Phelps has competitive sports teams, social functions, and tons of outside activities to keep these boys engaged in living a full life away from home. The Phelps school staff is "all in" -all the time. We have experienced first hand their "dedication to the success of each individual boy" and we are so very grateful! Thank you Phelps! L.S.
- Posted by Parent - L.S.
The Phelps school has been an incredibly rewarding experience for my son and our family. My son struggled with academics and was lost in a larger school. The attention to the individual and the passion for connecting with the student exhibited by the staff at Phelps has been beyond our expectations. Our son has been transformed from a disenfranchised child, lacking in self esteem to a successful student, engaged in sports and academics, capable of succeeding in an increasingly competitive world. Importantly, the teachers and staff at Phelps have consistently gone above and beyond what one would traditionally expect of educators and staff at school. They are an incredibly well connected group that communicates with one and other and formulates and changes plans to ensure the child's success. I could not be more pleased with the success my son has had at Phelps.
- Posted by Parent - lball
The Phelps school has been an incredibly rewarding experience for my son and our family. My son struggled with academics and was lost in a larger school. The attention to the individual and the passion for connecting with the student exhibited by the staff at Phelps has been beyond our expectations. Our son has been transformed from a disenfranchised child, lacking in self esteem to a successful student, engaged in sports and academics, capable of succeeding in an increasingly competitive world. Importantly, the teachers and staff at Phelps have consistently gone above and beyond what one would traditionally expect of educators and staff at school. They are an incredibly well connected group that communicates with one and other and formulates and changes plans to ensure the child's success. I could not be more pleased with the success my son has had at Phelps. Submitted by a current parent.
- Posted by Parent - kwrig
If you live outside the United States, choosing an American private school can be a confusing process. Here is an overview of the process.
Many people thought vouchers would never amount to much. Not only have they amounted to a great deal more than anybody could have thought, but vouchers have encouraged several more education choices to flourish.
Now that school has safely reopened, what can we parents do to support and encourage the schools we care about so much?