University School Of Jackson
- University School of Jackson is West Tennessee's College Preparatory School.
- USJ educates students from infants through 12th grade. Students from throughout West Tennessee attend USJ because of its challenging, college-preparatory curriculum; extensive athletics and fine arts program; and its focus on character education and leadership.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
State or regional independent school association
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||1,063 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 15%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||164 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Number of AP Courses||16 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Studio Art I, II, III, U.S. History, Biology, Calculus AB, BC, Chemistry, Dual Credit Options, Dual Enrollment Options, English III Language, English IV Literature, Environmental Science, French Language, Macroeconomics, Music Theory, Physics B, Spanish Language|
|Average SAT score||1116|
|Average ACT score||27|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Students wear uniforms; khaki pants & skirts; plaid jumpers, etc.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$8,450|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition starts at $8450 for Jr. Cubs (age 2 by Aug. 15)|
|% on Financial Aid|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Laura Moore|
|Admissions Associate||Pam Stanfield|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WeightliftingBaseball, Basketball,|
Cheering, Cross Country,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||17 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Chemistry Club, French Club, International Club, Key Club, Lower School PAL, Middle School Student Council, National Art Honor Society, National English Honor Society, National Honor Society, SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions), Science National Honor Society, SGA, Social Science Honor Society, Sociedad Honoraria Hispanica, Societe Honoraire de Francaise, Spanish Club, Theater/Musicals and Plays|
- About USJ
- University School of Jackson is a non-denominational, non-sectarian, college preparatory school dedicated to academic excellence and to the founding principles of faith, service, and scholarship. Our mission is to instill a passion in our students for academic, artistic, and athletic excellence, while committing themselves to personal integrity, mutual respect, and lifelong learning. Grounded in Judeo-Christian values, the University School of Jackson provides an environment that stresses a respect for one another and all religions. Our focus on preparing our students for college sets us apart from other schools in West Tennessee. We offer our students a well-rounded education that starts with academics and includes athletics, fine arts, character education, and leadership opportunities. A quality education is a wonderful gift to give your child. We encourage you to consider that education at the University School of Jackson.
- The USJ Campus
- USJ`s campus sits on 130 acres in northwest Madison County. The campus features a Lower School for infants through fifth grade, a Middle and Upper School facility, and an extensive athletic complex. The Middle School and Upper School building features two separate wings for sixth grade through eighth grade and ninth grade through 12th grade. Both wings share a centralized library, media center, 500-seat performing arts center, four science labs, and extensive athletic facilities, including an indoor turf and strength & conditioning room. The Lower School facility features extra large classrooms clustered by grade, two gymnasiums, two outside playgrounds, an eco-learning system that includes a pond and weather station, a cafetorium that doubles as a cafeteria and auditorium with a stage, and a library that features over 25,000 books. Students also have access to separate classrooms for enrichments including art, music, technology, world languages, character education/guidance, and hands-on science. Both campuses boast a state-of-the-art technology infrastructure capable of supplying all students and faculty with Wifi access.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Jackson Grades: NS-12 | 818 students
832 Country Club Lane
Jackson, TN 38305
(731)668-8055 2.8 NS-12
- Jackson Grades: NS-12 | 626 students
10 Windy City Rd
Jackson, TN 38305
(731)668-8500 1.6 NS-12
- Jackson Grades: PK-11 | 107 students
1171 Old Humboldt Road
Jackson, TN 38305
(731)660-6822 1.8 PK-11
- Denmark Grades: NS-12 | 100 students
535 Denmark Jackson Road
Denmark, TN 38391
(731)300-3385 5.8 NS-12
My children have been going to USJ for 10 years now. We chose USJ because of their academic excellence. They are challenged to live up to their full potential each and everyday. The teachers are amazing and really care about each child that walks through their door.
- Posted by Parent - Elizabeth
USJ is the best school in Jackson, TN. Hands down. The academics are outstanding and I just heard that the last 2 graduating classes were offered over $15,000,000 in college scholarships (150 students). The arts and athletic programs are top-notch as well. This is a wonderful school and well-worth the price.
- Posted by Parent - Mary
USJ is a great school that prepares its students for college and beyond. The school offers a supportive environment and a challenging curriculum to motivate students to succeed. It also teaches students to value honor, hard work, service and leadership. As a graduate (class of 1996), I appreciate USJ for the well-rounded education I received and the lifelong friends that I made.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - reed.
USJ is probably one of the better learning institutions in the Jackson area. Considering the school system in West Tennessee is in shambles, that is not something to boast about. The institution is centered around politics and economic status. A great deal of the instructors lack the knowledge that a professor at a "university" would have obtained, which may be misleading to some. I attended the school for 7th and 8th grade, while my sibling graduated from the institution. We both went on to graduate from universities in and out of state. Tuition is highly inflated, especially considering it is highly likely graduates will end up in the same college courses at the same universities their public school counterparts.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - venus