Whatcom Hills Waldorf School
5.00 (3 reviews)
Our students experience the outdoors. Middle Schoolers sail on a tall-masted schooner for four days, backpack together, study geology throughout Washington and study astronomy under the stars. Our younger students spend a few days on a farm, meet others at a Potlatch and take many field trips.
- The Whatcom Hills Waldorf School was established in 1986 and is approved by the State of Washington as well as is a full member of the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America (AWSNA).
- While many schools experiment with programs, our curriculum has stood the test of time.
- Waldorf Schools have employed an arts-infused academic education for nearly 100 years.
- The Waldorf curriculum educates the whole child: head, heart, and hand.
- Our students enjoy Spanish, Orchestra or Band, Handcrafts, Games, and recess twice a day in addition to their academic classes.Our highly trained faculty have additional certification in Waldorf Education.
- In most cases the same class teacher moves with their class from the first through the eighth grade.
- As teachers progress with the children through the grades, their understanding of each child's developing individuality grows.
- There is an active and involved parent body and parents participate in Parent Council, festival celebrations, study groups and parent/teacher meetings, as well as fundraising and promotional events.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Waldorf Schools of North America|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||214 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 27%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||18 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Preschool: 3 Day $3900, 4 Day $5100, 5 Day $5600 Kindergarten: 3 Day $4300, 4 Day $5700, 5 Day $6400 Grades: $9700|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Becky Brownlie|
- Imagine your child excelling at a school where they are enjoying a balanced and rigorous education in a beautiful setting. Where they, along with their parents, develop close social connections as their class moves through the grades. Our preschool and kindergarten students thrive in a play based classroom where imagination and developmentally appropriate activities abound. They paint, bake, build, run, craft, and play together indoors and outside, Each day they have focused "circle time" with their teacher filled with movement, games and stories in order to develop literacy, social, and motor skills, all set within beautiful imagery. When your child moves into the grade classes a rich and developmentally sound curriculum awaits their exploration. From number concepts in the First Grade, Projective Geometry in the Sixth through to Algebra in the Eighth Grade, we provide a thoughtful approach to math that forms the solid foundation for more advanced mathematics in high school and university. Writing, reading, and recitation are the core of language skills development which is woven into many classroom activities such as social sciences, history, and even science throughout the year. These are enhanced by students creating a play every year with their class, and illustrating their Main Lesson books. Our students spend time in nature every day, go on adventures, play a musical instrument and have the opportunity to maintain their enthusiasm and creativity while in a school environment. This provides resilience and a capacity for a continued love of learning into adolescence and adulthood. Come take a tour and experience the difference that education in a Waldorf School could make for your family.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- BellinghamGrades: PK-12
1509 E. Victor Street
Bellingham, WA 98225
- BellinghamGrades: NS-8 | 203 students
1600 E Sunset Dr
Bellingham, WA 98226
- BellinghamGrades: PK-8
567 E. Kellogg Road
Bellingham, WA 98226
- LyndenGrades: PK-12 | 1104 students
417 Lyncs Dr
Lynden, WA 98264
- BellinghamGrades: PK-6 | 101 students
1027 Samish Way
Bellingham, WA 98229
As a retired NYS teacher (cert. K thru 12) and a grandparent I am amazed at the dedication and quality of this school.
- Posted by Teacher - abbli
Our three daughters attend this amazing school. We have watched them blossom, grow and learn in incredible ways. Reading, comprehension and language are at extraordinary levels. Math is fully engaging and fun using physical games and story telling as teaching methods in early grades. Artwork, music, language (spanish) and rich academics make this school a truly integrative learning experience.
- Posted by Parent - becky
WHWS provides an organic approach to educating the whole child. Every aspect of the child is nurtured while learning takes place in a caring and encouraging environment that promotes independent thinking within a rich social context. I am a public school teacher and I wouldn't want my children to be anywhere else!
- Posted by Parent - korbm
January 17, 2018
Depending on their family circumstances, our Presidents received a wide range of primary and secondary schooling.
January 16, 2018
Part of the private school selection process is financial aid. We point out five issues about which you should be aware.
January 16, 2018
We look at why tuition costs vary so widely from school to school.