Our students experience the outdoors. Middle Schoolers sail on a tall-masted schooner for four days, backpack together, study geology throughout Washington and study astronomy under the stars. Our younger students spend a few days on a farm, meet others at a Potlatch and take many field trips.
- The Whatcom Hills Waldorf School was established in 1986 and is approved by the State of Washington as well as is a full member of the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America (AWSNA).
- While many schools experiment with programs, our curriculum has stood the test of time.
- Waldorf Schools have employed an arts-infused academic education for nearly 100 years.
- The Waldorf curriculum educates the whole child: head, heart, and hand.
- Our students enjoy Spanish, Orchestra or Band, Handcrafts, Games, and recess twice a day in addition to their academic classes.Our highly trained faculty have additional certification in Waldorf Education.
- In most cases the same class teacher moves with their class from the first through the eighth grade.
- As teachers progress with the children through the grades, their understanding of each child's developing individuality grows.
- There is an active and involved parent body and parents participate in Parent Council, festival celebrations, study groups and parent/teacher meetings, as well as fundraising and promotional events.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Waldorf Schools of North America|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||208 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 27%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||18 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Preschool: 3 Day $3600, 4 Day $4800, 5 Day $5300 Kindergarten: 3 Day $4100, 4 Day $5650, 5 Day $6250 Grades: $9600|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Patricia Thom|
- Imagine your child excelling at a school where they are enjoying a balanced and rigorous education in a beautiful setting. Where they, along with their parents, develop close social connections as their class moves through the grades. Our preschool and kindergarten students thrive in a play based classroom where imagination and developmentally appropriate activities abound. They paint, bake, build, run, craft, and play together indoors and outside, Each day they have focused "circle time" with their teacher filed with movement games and stories to develop literacy, social, and motor skills within beautiful imagery.When your child moves into the grade classes a rich and developmentally sound curriculum awaits their exploration. From number concepts in the First Grade through Projective Geometry in the Sixth and to Algebra in the Eighth Grade, we provide a thoughtful approach to math that forms the solid foundation for more advanced mathematics in high school and university. Writing, reading, recitation are the core of language skills development and this is enhanced by creating a play every year with their class, illustrating their Main Lesson books and woven into many classroom activities in social science, history and even science throughout the year. Our students spend time in nature every day, go on adventures, play a musical instrument and have the opportunity to maintain their enthusiasm and creativity to provide resilience and capacity for adolescence and adulthood.Come take a tour and experience the difference that education in a Waldorf School could make for your family.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
1600 E Sunset Dr
Bellingham, WA 98226
567 E. Kellogg Road
Bellingham, WA 98226
BellinghamGrades: PK-6 | 101 students
1027 Samish Way
Bellingham, WA 98229
BellinghamGrades: PK-12 | 364 students
1509 E. Victor Street
Bellingham, WA 98225
Mount VernonGrades: PK-7 | 67 students
830 N 16th Street
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
As a retired NYS teacher (cert. K thru 12) and a grandparent I am amazed at the dedication and quality of this school.
- Posted by Teacher - abbli
Our three daughters attend this amazing school. We have watched them blossom, grow and learn in incredible ways. Reading, comprehension and language are at extraordinary levels. Math is fully engaging and fun using physical games and story telling as teaching methods in early grades. Artwork, music, language (spanish) and rich academics make this school a truly integrative learning experience.
- Posted by Parent - becky
WHWS provides an organic approach to educating the whole child. Every aspect of the child is nurtured while learning takes place in a caring and encouraging environment that promotes independent thinking within a rich social context. I am a public school teacher and I wouldn't want my children to be anywhere else!
- Posted by Parent - korbm
April 25, 2017
What are the attributes which make 21st century military schools so special? We find out in this article.
April 25, 2017
If you are looking for a college preparatory education with a military emphasis, then take a look at military schools.
April 25, 2017
School uniforms are largely found at religious, parochial and military schools. Dress codes have replaced uniforms at most schools.