Wye River Upper School
- Wye River Upper School is a non-profit, college preparatory, independent high school for grades 9-12 located in Centreville, MD. We serve bright students, bound for college and post secondary education, with ADHD, dyslexia and other unique learning styles.
- Our Philosophy is shaped by our guiding belief in the power of each students' unique talents, skills, interests and goals.
- Our students benefit from structure, low student/teacher ratios, an inclusive social environment, targeted academic support, the right level of challenge to prepare them for college and life after high school.
- Our students are from nine Maryland counties, including Anne Arundel, Prince George's, Howard, Baltimore, Kent, Queen Anne's,Talbot, Caroline and Dorchester.
- We offer a daily shuttle bus service between our campus and various counties in Maryland.
- "Wye River has made all the difference in his life. He is now feeling good about himself and is planning on going to college. I am more impressed by your teachers every time I see them. They are inventive, creative and full of energy! Their love of learning is infectious." WRUS Parent.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
Other school association(s)
Learning Disabilities Association of America (LDA)
Association of Independent Maryland And DC Schools (JAIMS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||ADHD, dyslexia, Asperger|
|Total Students||52 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 30%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||11 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(khaki pants, collared shirt of any color, belt, polishable shoes, gender neutral)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$28,000|
|Tuition Notes||WRUS offers financial aid to qualified applicants and flexible payment options.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$10,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Katie Theeke|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Martial Arts, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,|
Martial Arts, Soccer,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
Club or Organization:
College Advisory Program, Drama Program
Arts and Music Programs:
ceramics, Chorus, Dance Classes, Music Program, Painting, Performing Arts- Music and Drama, Sculpture
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- Wye River Upper School is a non-profit, college preparatory, independent high school for grades 9-12 located in Centreville, MD. We support students with learning differences, including ADD / ADHD, dyslexia and other learning differences. Our supportive and inclusive environment has helped students to suceed and grow in confidence especially those struggling with anxiety. We offer: low student/teacher ratios, targeted academic support, morning exercise for all students, interscholastic sports, music and fine arts and guidance for college and career planning. Transportation is provided to a variety of stops in several Maryland counties. Wye River is a rolling admissions program and applications are accepted year-round.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Millersville Grades: 6-11 | 7 students
648 Old Mill Rd
Millersville, MD 21108
(410)729-9181 30.6 6-11
- Annapolis Grades: 3-12 | 170 students
1277 Green Holly Drive
Annapolis, MD 21409
(410)974-4248 20.9 3-12
- Baltimore Grades: 9-12 | 16 students
3800 Frederick Ave
Baltimore, MD 21229
(410)233-1400 36.7 9-12
WRUS has been a wonderful match for our daughter. The large, public school she started at for high school was failing her. The teachers couldn't give her the attention she needed, and when she started falling behind the administration was not helpful. We found WRUS and have been very happy. The staff and faculty are very caring and communicate with us. The small setting and teacher:student ratio means she doesn't fall behind. It's a supportive environment.
- Posted by Parent - Elaine Bowman
This is an amazing school! The professors teach to the individual talent of each student. The environment is truly stunning and very secure. Our daughter is thriving in large part to the Wye River Upper School. I recommend you visit this incredible school!
- Posted by Parent - Christian Wright
WRUS has made a huge impact on my son's education. Before he began WRUS in 9th grade, his entire school career was very difficult. He felt like he was "stupid" because he didn't learn the same way that the rest of the students in his classes did and always seemed to be behind. Now, he is challenged, encouraged and feels confident in his abilities as a person and student.
- Posted by Parent - Nicole
Great learning environment with individualized attention. Each of the teachers knows our son - his strengths and his challenges - and have found ways to keep him engaged, learning and growing as a person.
- Posted by Parent - Lauren Maddox
Wonderful school with focused individualized instruction tailored to the learner's strengths. My daughter has developed amazing writing skills that will serve her well in college. This school definitely provides opportunities for experiential learning as well as traditional classroom instruction.
- Posted by Parent - Mom