A Step Up Academy
Tel: (215) 885-1075
A Step Up Academy (ASUA) is a private, non-profit, co-educational and non-sectarian school for children with autism.
We serve students from Kindergarten through 8th grade. Our Pre-school through second grade program is located on the idyllic, nature-filled grounds of the Abington Friends Meetinghouse in Jenkintown, PA. Our third through eighth grade students are located in our new location, the Annex in Abington, PA. ASUA was established and licensed by the Pennsylvania Department of Education in August of 2013.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Total Students||33 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 23%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||13 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- A Step Up Academy (ASUA) is a private, non-profit, co-educational and non-sectarian school for children with autism. We serve students from Kindergarten through 8th grade. Our Pre-school through second grade program is located on the idyllic, nature-filled grounds of the Abington Friends Meetinghouse in Jenkintown, PA. Our third through eighth grade students are located in our new location, the Annex in Abington, PA. ASUA was established and licensed by the Pennsylvania Department of Education in August of 2013.
- ASUA`s focus is to serve the growing population of young children and adolescents on the autism spectrum that have significant developmental delays, speech and language difficulties, and behaviors that are associated with the diagnosis. Using evidence-based practices with a strong focus on targeting the fundamental areas of communication, ASUA works with students, their families, school districts, and communities to teach the skills necessary to place children back into a least-restrictive setting with the highest level of inclusion possible.
- ASUA is a unique educational model in that creating and facilitating inclusion opportunities is central to our mission and programming. Inclusion opportunities are varied at ASUA and highly individualized for each student`s individual learning path. All students have the opportunity to experience and participate in inclusion programming. Options can include reverse inclusion, such as our current partnerships with Abington Friends School at our Jenkintown location, can involve visiting or attending other partner programs with ASUA support, or can also be provided as a stand-alone service in another academic setting. Our partners include Abington Friends School, Germantown Academy, The Meadowbrook School, Regina Coeli Academy, and Center School.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Malvern Grades: PK-12 | 265 students
1777 N. Valley Road
Malvern, PA 19355
(610) 296-6700 19.9 PK-12
- Newtown Square Grades: PK-12 | 19 students
395 Bishop Hollow Road
Newtown Square, PA 19073
(610) 356-5566 17.7 PK-12
- Bethlehem Grades: 1-12 | 79 students
2196 Avenue C
Bethlehem, PA 18017
(610) 266-6500 42.1 1-12
Choosing a private school is a process with many parts to it. It also takes 18-24 months to complete. This collection of articles deals with the first part of the process in which you begin to look at private schools and what they offer.
Marketing the small private school can be done affordably and effectively. We suggest five easy steps to make that happen.
Solid parent-teacher relationships have always been an important part of K-12 education. During this interminable pandemic, parent-teacher relationships have become even more important.