Alverno High School
- The Alverno mission: To EMPOWER each young woman to be exactly the person she wants to be.
- Alverno High School is an indepedent, Catholic, college preparatory school, which aims to prepare young women to be leaders in their world.
- Small class sizes, a challenging academic curriculum, and a close community offers young women a place to shine.
- Our unique form of student government includes nearly a third of the school and helps girls discover their strengths; our strong service component and quality arts and sports programs give girls a rich cocurricular experience.
- Located on 13.5 beautiful acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains, Alverno has been educating young women of conscience and conviction since 1960.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
National Catholic Education Association
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Yes, if students can succeed in a college-prep curriculum with support, We do not modify classes.|
|Total Students||177 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 43%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||17 students|
|Number of AP Courses||13 courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Design, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP Euopean History, AP Human Geography, AP Spanish, AP Studio Art, AP US History,|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 30 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$14,950|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition is payable in one or ten payments through FACTS Tuition Service.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$4,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Sara McCarthy|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Soccer, Softball, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,
Softball, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||14 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Ambassador Corps, Art Club, Book Club, Campus Ministry, Drama Club, Intermural Sports, Knitting Club, Legacy Newspaper, Literary Magazine, Multicultural Club, Nature Company, SADD, Tech Club, Unique Student Government Art Club, Book Club, Drama Club, Knitting Club, Nature Company, SADD, Tech Club, Ambassador Corps,
Unique Student Government,
- All college-prep curriculum, with 13 AP courses and honors classes in all subject areas
- Small class sizes: an average class has 18 students
- Outstanding college acceptance rate to schools across the U.S.
- Strong faith and retreat program; active campus ministry
- Innovative leadership program
- Twenty-seven clubs and many, many activities
- Quality arts and athletic programs: Alverno soccer is 2009 CIF champions, and the Jaguars are also 2004 CIF Division VI Softball Champions! We produce two plays a year, offer two choirs, and sponsor the Alverno Mass Band
- Sponsored by the Immaculate Heart Community
- Accredited by NCEA/WASC/NAIS/CAIS
Profile last updated: 08/19/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
PasadenaGrades: 9-12 | 709 students
3880 E Sierra Madre Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91107
PasadenaGrades: 9-12 | 304 students
500 Bellefontaine St
Pasadena, CA 91105
La Canada FlintridgeGrades: 9-12 | 396 students
440 St. Katherine Dr.
La Canada Flintridge, CA 91011
AlhambraGrades: 9-12 | 240 students
1701 W Ramona Road
Alhambra, CA 91803
GardenaGrades: 9-12 | 600 students
14830 Van Ness Avenue
Gardena, CA 90249
The academic program at Alverno is challenging and it prepared my daughter for her college experience. She felt confident going into her third year at USC and has done extremely well thus far. I credit Alverno with not only giving her a college preparatory education, but also helping my daughter figure out her passion in life and be a confident young woman.
- Posted by Parent - summe
With some of the lowest tuition in the area, I would say that the quality of the education I received at Alverno as a student is worth more than 10 times what my parents paid. I have recently graduated from graduate school with a Master's in Education with a 4.0 from a major university. I have completed more than 1,000 hours of student teaching and more than 5,000 hours of substitute teaching and I can say wholeheartedly that Alverno provides an education far above the local public schools and many of the privates as well. My teachers were caring, committed, intelligent, and diligent when it came to students. I never felt like any of them ever gave up on their students. The administration was strict but fair and has helped Alverno to become a hallmark of the local community
- Posted by Student/Alumni - sara.