Bishop Watterson High School
- Bishop Watterson High School, inspired by the example of Christ, seeks to challenge and nurture the leaders of the 21st century by providing them with the religious, moral, intellectual, social, and physical skills that they will need to achieve their fullest potential as productive and successful Catholic adults. Bishop Watterson High School endeavors to educate the total person by focusing on the spiritual, intellectual and physical development of the students.
- The primary goal is to produce mature, self-disciplined young men and women who have a firm commitment to essential Gospel values, a deep understanding of their rights and responsibilities as Christian citizens, the critical skills necessary to pursue successfully their post-secondary education and chosen careers, and an appreciation of their cultural heritage and artistic achievements.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||mild|
|Total Students||927 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 21%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||83 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Number of AP Courses||21 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science A, AP English Literature and Composition, AP French Language and Culture, AP Italian Language and Culture, AP Latin, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Music Theory, AP Physics 1, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language and Culture, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art 2D, AP Studio Art Drawing, AP United States Government and Politics, AP United States History|
|Average SAT score||1139|
|Average ACT score||25|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(males - black uniform pants, white shirt and tie; females - uniform jumper, white shirt and knee socks)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 21|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$9,370|
|Tuition Notes||2017-18 Participating in a feeder parish: 1st child $9,370, 2nd child $9,170, 3rd + child $8,970. Facility fee $195. Non-participating $10,695 first child.|
|% on Financial Aid|
|Admissions Director||Mary Kate Campbell|
|Total Sports Offered||18 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Dance,
Diving, Field Hockey,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||33 Clubs 2016-17, Choir, Concert, Fall Drama, Jazz Bands, Marching, Spring Musical, Student Council Choir, Concert, Fall Drama, Jazz Bands, Marching, Spring Musical, 33 Clubs 2016-17,|
- Bishop Watterson High School is a comprehensive, co-educational, Catholic school for grades 9-12. It is located in a residential area serving the northwest quadrant of Columbus and Franklin County. A large majority of parents are college-educated, business and professional people. Bishop Watterson High School meets all State of Ohio education requirements and is fully accredited by the Department of Education, State of Ohio and the Catholic Diocese of Columbus. Bishop Watterson High School also received the U.S. Department of Education Exemplary School Award.
- More than 90% of the students are Catholic. Students come from the Columbus City Schools and seven suburban school systems Buckeye Valley, Delaware, Dublin, Hilliard, Olentangy, Upper Arlington, and Worthington. More than 99% of the graduates enter four-year and two-year colleges and universities. A typical graduating class will be dispersed to fifty or more colleges throughout the United States. Many of the top quartile will be attending our country`s most competitive colleges.
- The curriculum is college preparatory. The Advanced Placement, honors, and accelerated programs offer those students who qualify the opportunity to follow a stimulating curriculum designed for the academically talented. Students must apply and meet high academic standards/criteria to be placed into accelerated, honors and Advanced Placement courses.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- ColumbusGrades: 9-12 | 842 students
4212 Karl Rd
Columbus, OH 43224
- ColumbusGrades: NS-12 | 651 students
3650 Reed Rd
Columbus, OH 43220
- ColumbusGrades: PK-12 | 567 students
65 S. Drexel. Ave.
Columbus, OH 43209
- ColumbusGrades: PK-12 | 440 students
817 N Hamilton Rd
Columbus, OH 43230
- ColumbusGrades: NS-12 | 530 students
935 Northridge Road
Columbus, OH 43224
Bishop Watterson provided my children with an exceptional well rounded academic experience. They were well prepared for college. Bishop Watterson is a community in every sense of the word. It is a constant at this school to be expected to contribute to the community in which we live! Additionally, students learn skills to be responsible as well as communicate with adults and employers.
- Posted by Parent - Sharon
I am a graduate of BWHS in '84. I love Watterson, my 3 children have or are attending BWHS. Upon graduation they are equipped w/ the right skills and education to be successful at the college level. BWHS has more classes available than any other central Ohio Catholic School. So if your child is a slower learner or an advanced learner you will be in the best hands possible w/in the Catholic diocese. The new principal(s) are great and the energy at BWHS is always fun, positive, spiritually based and just an all around great place to be.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - George Breen Cleary