Chesapeake Montessori School
- We serve children and teens ages eighteen months through fifteen years (pre-k - 8th grade).
- Main Campus is comprised of seven acres in Annapolis, Maryland, where indoor and outdoor beauty abounds and is accessible to the children.
- Upper Campus is a three-acre farmette located in Arnold, Maryland; a land-based model serving our seventh and eighth grade students with experiential education.
- CMS strives to offer an educational model true to Dr. Maria Montessori`s vision for the various age groups and we are proud to be an Association Montessori Internationale Recognized school.
Chesapeake Montessori School places among the top 20% of private schools in Maryland for:
- Category Attribute
- Advanced Degrees Highest percentage of faculty with advanced degrees
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association Montessori International (AMI)|
Association of Independent Maryland And DC Schools (JAIMS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Summer School Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Total Students||160 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color|
State avg.: 32%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||13 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1|
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree|
|Average Class Size||25 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition ranges from $11,000 - $16,500 annually.|
|Admissions Director||Caroline Duffy|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||2 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Chess Club, French Judo
- More than a century ago, Maria Montessori enlightened the world to the immense capabilities of the child. She showed us that children are driven by natural tendencies, which compel them to move through the world, exploring and discovering. At Chesapeake Montessori School we offer prepared environments, guided by a trained teachers, that provide children and adolescents innumerable opportunities for exploration and discovery. We guide children intellectually, academically, socially, and emotionally in their preparation for life.
- Since 1977, CMS has been serving families in the greater Annapolis area. We believe that education is an exciting process of discovery that builds a foundation for critical thinking, self-discipline, and a life-long love of learning. We understand that children learn best when they are motivated by their own innate need to explore and discover. We respect that children and adolescents should be encouraged to progress at their own pace, regardless of age or ability. We are committed to practicing authentic Montessori to help children and adolescents reach their full potential, while instilling values of civic responsibility and compassion. CMS graduates understand that they are an important part of society and possess the knowledge and skills to make a difference in the world.We`re looking for empathetic children, teens, and parents who value self-construction and intellectual curiosity.
- We seek those who are invested in the building and maintenance of strong community, and want to create a diverse and inclusive culture. We are a school community that offers "schooling" at a high standard mathematics, English language arts, science, the humanities, geography, geometry, fine/performing/industrial arts, and French language arts and, more importantly, we offer the "invisible scaffolding" that impels young people to become good, noble, and adaptable citizens in their own time and place. We care about the whole child, or teen, more than we do tests scores and grades.
Profile last updated:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Annapolis Grades: NS-6 | 162 students
1641 N Winchester Rd
Annapolis, MD 21409
(410)757-7789 1.1 NS-6
- Arnold Grades: NS-5
1185 Baltimore Annapolis Blvd
Arnold, MD 21012
(410)647-9612 2.7 NS-5
Choosing the right private school for your child involves comparing schools as opposed to ranking them.
What is a lab school? It's a K-12 school or school with some variation of those grades which is operated by a university or college.
The COVID-19 has turned our lives upside down. Sending your children back to school raises all sorts of concerns for their safety and education. We answer some of your questions here.